Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low egr flow code 0405

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry low egr flow code 0405

what the hell does this mean any reason on why i am getting this it also comes up at the same time as insufficent switching in the o2s bank 1 and bank2 i know why on the o2s but now this code
Old 03-28-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

An Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system is used in order to lower Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) emission levels. The EGR system accomplishes this by feeding small amounts of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber. High combustion temperatures cause NOx. Combustion temperatures are reduced when the air/fuel mixture is diluted with the exhaust gases.

The EGR valve is designed to accurately supply exhaust gases to the engine without the use of intake manifold vacuum. The EGR valve controls the exhaust flow into the intake manifold from the exhaust manifold through an orifice with a PCM controlled pintle. The PCM controls the pintle position using inputs from the Throttle Position (TP) sensor, the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor and, the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. The PCM commands the EGR valve in order to supply the correct amount of exhaust gas recirculation for the current engine operating conditions. This can be monitored on a scan tool as the Desired EGR Position.

The PCM monitors the position of the EGR valve through a feedback signal. The PCM supplies a 5.0 volt reference and a ground to the EGR valve. A voltage signal representing the EGR valve pintle position is sent to the PCM from the EGR valve. This feedback signal can also be monitored on a scan tool and is the actual position of the EGR pintle. The Actual EGR Position should always be near the commanded or Desired EGR Position.

The PCM turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A last test failed, or current DTC, clears when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

Due to the moisture associated with exhaust systems, the EGR valve may freeze and stick in colder weather at times. After the vehicle is brought into a warm shop for repairs, the valve warms and the concern disappears. By monitoring the Actual EGR and Desired EGR Positions on a cold engine with a scan tool, the fault can be verified easily.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

thanks for help and it makes sense about the water thing cause i went through the car wash here at the local gas station and it washes the unserside of the car and right after that was the first time i have seen this code pop up thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mattslightning
thanks for help and it makes sense about the water thing cause i went through the car wash here at the local gas station and it washes the unserside of the car and right after that was the first time i have seen this code pop up thanks
Glad I could help!