PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is all done on a Dyno Tune??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what is all done on a Dyno Tune??

I am getting HPTuners soon... then heading to a the dyno to do some tuning. but I need to know what any good tuner tunes for, I know AFR, shift properties, etc in a Auto, but what else??? timing???

thanks
Old 04-02-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

anything associated with making more power i.e. timing, AFR.......the trick is finding out how much to put where for best results
Old 04-02-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really honestly depends on what the tuner has the knowledge to do.

The important things that most tuners should do at LEAST.

Timing, and WOT airfuel.

A GOOD tuner will do more, such as part throttle timing, and airfuel, Idle, full trans shiftpoints. ect...

Ryan
Old 04-03-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the time spent on a good tune is spent on idle and part throttle, getting the fuel trims set and stablized. This is very important because if this is not done well the WOT tune will drift later. When someone states that, "tuning is easy", this usually is someone who is of limited tuning knowledge and inexperienced at tuning. The more cars you tune and the more you learn, tuning gets more complex rather then easier, what's that saying, "ignorance is bliss". The right tools such as a good load bearing chassis dyno for actual vehicle simulation is important, but more important is the knowledge and experience level of the tuner. A complete tune is like brain surgery to the tuner, customers who stick around or bring freinds that constantly interupt a good tuner is not going to get as good of a tune. A good tune also requires leaving the car overnight for cold start and warmup tuning.