PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all the SD-VE-MAF doubters out there...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 07:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Has anyone yet played with the idea of a pulse
damper for the MAP sensor, to keep manifold
pulsation from kicking it around? Be interesting
to put a 'scope to the MAP sensor output and
see just how badly the value is jumping (to be
caught at various points by PCM sampling).
I looked at adding a software filter to the MAP for a lot of the 8 throttle body stuff that goes on out here (surprisingly the MAP is one of the few PCM inputs that isn't filtered by the stock code). You can also do it with a mechanical low pass filter (ie. narrow pipe to MAP - not much good on the stock manifold though).

We ended up implementing a full TPS vs RPM modifier for the VE table and it is working quite successfully on big cammed 8 TB cars (the kind of engines that idle at 70kPa and then pull 95kPa at 5% TPS - not leaving you much resolution). The TPS thing seems to work well, i dunno what you would call it but it's a mix of SD and TPS. It will be part of our "SD Enhanced" package when it is released.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by God Forgives I Dont
So TxHorns281 what method did you end up using to calibrate your MAF table? Did you make use of any of the MAF calculating spread sheets out there or did you do it by hand / educated guessing?

So if your results hold up, then that means all we have to do is get it real close on VE then all in one day finalize the VE and calibrate the MAF and sense the MAF is always primary (most of the time) the tune should not really need any further adjustments until we modify something in the air track that would require recalibration of the MAF?
I used the method that myself and a few others came up with listed in the sticky at the top of this thread. I think at the time the theory was being drawn out, but no one had attempted it yet... and due to some of the responses it seems I'm one of the first/few to get it working the way it was thought to.

As far as the MAF calculators, I don't know what's out there right now but I think I came up with the original spreadsheet.... Gawd if you could only see it now... redhardsupra made a real nice rendition out of my original not too long ago. I like the layout of his much better... lol Thank you Excel junkies!!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Yes that's spread sheet I have currently ( I think anyway). Its the one the does the RAF and MAF? I can't seem to get the RAF part to work out right and I've tried a couple of times. Thanks for the info though I'm going to keep at it and I'm sure I'll get the MAF calibrated just have to do it quickly so the VE doesn't change due to weather in the middle of calibration tuning.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think my avatar shows my position.....
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
i think my avatar shows my position.....
Grrrrrr.....
Old 04-22-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gameover
The TPS thing seems to work well, i dunno what you would call it but it's a mix of SD and TPS. It will be part of our "SD Enhanced" package when it is released.
It may be called alpha-N
Old 04-23-2005, 03:09 AM
FormerVendor

well it's not strictly alpha-N cos the SD part is still there, it's like an Alpha-N-SD-hybrid-special

Anyway, it works that's the main thing
Old 04-23-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree When you get a chance, hit me with a PM about what youve been working on, have a car or two that might benefit. What map reading do those setups see cruising? 70kpa, thats GOOD idle vacuum
Old 04-23-2005, 07:00 PM
FormerVendor

i was talking idle MAP (absolute). 260+ duration cams and 8TB setups don't leave much room for tuning SD

The line between cruise and WOT is VERY fine
Old 04-24-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah I know your were talking about idle vacuum, I was wondering what it is cruising. I have a few cars that idle in the 70 to 80kPa range, wanted to compare their cruising MAP with those setups