PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning 101 -- Going to APE next week any tips / experiences ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning 101 -- Going to APE next week any tips / experiences ?

Going to AP Engineering for a tune next Thursday. I don't know anything about tuning but look at my HP figure.
I have always been somewhat skeptical of the benefits of tuning (seems pricey @ $500+ bucks).
I am not really sure what to expect since my car runs perfect and throws no codes (set-up below). I understand the AFR heads like a leaner air fuel ratio but I am completely clueless about what a tune actually does. I heard it is really just WOT and Idle tuning....but I can tell from searching that it is quite a bit more complex than that.
I have 11.3:1 compression and a 160 Thermo. I do not want the idle raised, can anybody recommend a tuning rookie a few things to consider ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since they will be doing the tune, just tell them what you want. They'll get everything optimized as far as WOT and idle goes (at least I hope), but they most likely won't do any part throttle tuning due to how long it would take.

You should pick up some good power and driveability. At the price tuners like to charge, I decided to invest a few more $$$ one time and get the software myself. I'm learning it now, and it has proven to be the mod I've enjoyed most on my car, and I've only had it for about two weeks or so.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If they won't drive it on the road to make sure the driveabilty is ok, then you might want to question it...

If you weren't so far away, I'd tune you for about $150 cheaper. Check out my MTI thread in the dyno section...
Old 04-22-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

I may have to consider that.
APE has not responded to my PM's regarding their tuning capabilities and what I can expect from a "full tune" so that throws up a flag. I mean the car runs perfect how much could it benefit other than changing fan temps and raising the rev limiter. I know they had a guy from Katech who was supposed to be "good" or whatever....I just worry that the motor could be running too lean (or something) making it unsafe.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Shu
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mirek
APE has not responded to my PM's regarding their tuning capabilities and what I can expect from a "full tune" so that throws up a flag. I mean the car runs perfect how much could it benefit other than changing fan temps and raising the rev limiter. I know they had a guy from Katech who was supposed to be "good" or whatever....I just worry that the motor could be running too lean (or something) making it unsafe.
APE would not return my inquiries either. I decided to call Speed Inc and they did a great job.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Well, unless you have some logging software, you really have no idea if the car is running perfect or not. I would highly doubt it. I'm sure it runs well enough, but it could always be better. The stock tune is definitely lacking in some areas, even on my bolt-on only car.

I like to know how my car ticks, and I don't mind spending the time learning it on my own. From what I've seen, tuning has come a long way for the do-it-yourself-er over the past year. It has also highlighted some of the short comings of various people who tune cars for lots of $$$. That isn't to say they wouldn't do a great job, but my standards are way too high to let someone else take a stab at it.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

My question is what exactley do they "tune" ? (thats what I asked them)
I heard it is pretty much limited to WOT and idle (Thats just what I heard).
I know people tune after minimal mods but I've done H/C, intake, headers and the car idles@ 750 and runs like a raped ape with no codes at all. I am assuming it is a bunch of stuf they get in there and "fix" but I don't know what all that stuff really could be. It's just pricey n' all. I have heard very good and very bad things about APE as well.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

My question is what exactley do they "tune" ? (thats what I asked them)
I heard it is pretty much limited to WOT and idle (Thats just what I heard).
I know people tune after minimal mods but I've done H/C, intake, headers and the car idles@ 750 and runs like a raped ape with no codes at all. I am assuming it is a bunch of stuf they get in there and "fix" but I don't know what all that stuff really could be. It's just pricey n' all. I have heard very good and very bad things about APE as well.
Well, especially with a head/cam car you have changed lots of things from stock. Most likely the car is not running as "perfect" as you think. It is most likely lean with all the additional air that the heads/cam/headers allow your motor to take in. What they are going to do is find out your cars A/F ratio and get that to where it is both safe and powerful. Once they richen it up they can also tweak your timing to make max power and keep it safe from spark knock. I believe although it feels OK you will be surprised at the power you pick up from a full tune.

The part throttle and idle is harder and I am currently working on learning that more. The main thing is to keep the a/f ratios good throughout all of your daily driving scenerios keeping it fuel efficient and safe from detenation. It can also be used to tune out any drivablity problems such as stalling, surging, etc. and disable simple things such as CAGS, gears, fan temps, rev limiter points, etc.

Hope that helps

Chris
Old 04-22-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

That does help man thanks I do appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I like to know how my car ticks, and I don't mind spending the time learning it on my own. From what I've seen, tuning has come a long way for the do-it-yourself-er over the past year. It has also highlighted some of the short comings of various people who tune cars for lots of $$$. That isn't to say they wouldn't do a great job, but my standards are way too high to let someone else take a stab at it.
If you knew me and talked to a bunch of local guys, you'd trust me to work on your car. How many people do you know that would let you have their $60-70,000 Z06 for a week while you work on it and tune it? Probably not to many. A good reputation and trust is earned over time. I have 2 more Z06 427 cars to do within the next month.

Most of the time my car is so clean you can eat off the engine and dashboard. I am very **** about my car, I don't even let my wife wash it!

Tuning is not for everyone. I have tuned dozens and dozens of LS1 cars over the past 2 years and have seen a lot of ****. One this is for sure, all cars are different, even with the same mods. I never intended to get into tuning but so many people asked me and it just kind of snowballed from there.

I guarantee my work. If I can't tune it, then no charge to you and I reload the file that I pulled out of the car when I first met you.

BTW - Did you read my MTI 427 LS2 post?
Old 04-22-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave APE alone so they can finish my shortblock dammit. Seriously, they're so backed up over there it's not even funny. Check the sponsor feedback forum for more info.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Billiumss
If you knew me and talked to a bunch of local guys, you'd trust me to work on your car. How many people do you know that would let you have their $60-70,000 Z06 for a week while you work on it and tune it? Probably not to many. A good reputation and trust is earned over time. I have 2 more Z06 427 cars to do within the next month.

Most of the time my car is so clean you can eat off the engine and dashboard. I am very **** about my car, I don't even let my wife wash it!

Tuning is not for everyone. I have tuned dozens and dozens of LS1 cars over the past 2 years and have seen a lot of ****. One this is for sure, all cars are different, even with the same mods. I never intended to get into tuning but so many people asked me and it just kind of snowballed from there.

I guarantee my work. If I can't tune it, then no charge to you and I reload the file that I pulled out of the car when I first met you.

BTW - Did you read my MTI 427 LS2 post?
I most certainly have read your posts, but I'm having much more fun trying to tune this thing myself. That and I don't have nearly enough done to my car yet to make it that much of a challenge to get in line.

I'll probably end up being up your way in a little over a year or so...I'll definitely have to get with you guys to see these amazing rides. I wish my wallet could support that kinda stuff
Old 04-23-2005, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

WHy was my post deleted?

I am a former customer, can I not state my opinion now.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Steve,

At times it is fun to tune your car so you can see the changes but other times it can suck. Doing it yourself is half the fun!

It's chatting like this that makes these cars so great. Were all just one big family. lol
Old 04-23-2005, 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Billiumss
Steve,

At times it is fun to tune your car so you can see the changes but other times it can suck. Doing it yourself is half the fun!

I agree, it took me several months of reading to feel confident that I could tune my car. I am so happy I choose to do it myself. I enjoy seeing the changes first hand and it is nice to make changes at the track.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P Mack
Leave APE alone so they can finish my shortblock dammit. Seriously, they're so backed up over there it's not even funny. Check the sponsor feedback forum for more info.
What he said,They are very busy