Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning 101 need to be updated?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Tuning 101 need to be updated?

Ok, so I've been reading up on things quite a bit lately since I've been considering the HPTuners route. It seems some people have now cracked the MAF table and the VE Table and I got to thinking...the tuning instructions say to tune in SD mode with the MAF disabled (redundant, I know). Why wouldn't we (those of us who plan to keep our MAF) want to recalibrate the MAF first (now that we know within ~2% error how to dial it in), reset the LTFT's, and have the computer relearn them before attempting anything else? I can't help but wonder...if the tables use information from sensors like the MAF, wouldn't we want to see what that everything looks like with the correct numbers coming from the MAF before we adjust the VE or any table for that matter? Otherwise, it seems the PCM will want to fight against the tune you design for it...especially if numbers can vary +/-4% from day to day. I guess it's still hard for me to believe running the car MAF-less is the best option given these cars have had them for over a decade. Anyone have any ideas on this???
Old 04-28-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

You summed up the same things I have been wondering. What do you say fellow tuners?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

That is a very good question. I'm about to install a F14 cam and plan on keeping my MAF, so would it benefit me to tune the MAF before?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Good question I think there is a reason why we can't do it like that, but I just can't remember what the reason is this morning. In the end MAF is better once you get it adjusted correctly. It is much faster than the PCM trying to do all the calculations for SD and it isn't effected by changes in wether like SD is. I'm in the finall stages of my tune and working on the MAF calibrations now. Hope it works out as I've seen others get theres in synch and want mine to be just as good.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Ok, so I've been reading up on things quite a bit lately since I've been considering the HPTuners route. It seems some people have now cracked the MAF table and the VE Table and I got to thinking...the tuning instructions say to tune in SD mode with the MAF disabled (redundant, I know). Why wouldn't we (those of us who plan to keep our MAF) want to recalibrate the MAF first (now that we know within ~2% error how to dial it in), reset the LTFT's, and have the computer relearn them before attempting anything else? I can't help but wonder...if the tables use information from sensors like the MAF, wouldn't we want to see what that everything looks like with the correct numbers coming from the MAF before we adjust the VE or any table for that matter? Otherwise, it seems the PCM will want to fight against the tune you design for it...especially if numbers can vary +/-4% from day to day. I guess it's still hard for me to believe running the car MAF-less is the best option given these cars have had them for over a decade. Anyone have any ideas on this???
As i've argued before, running the car MAF-less for a long period of time is NOT the best option. The whole point of recalibrating the MAF at the end is to align it with the way your motor naturally wants to run. That way if your SD fueling (basic fueling) is inline, and your MAF will also be in tune with that, therefore creating symmetrical airflow calculations. This just provides more consistent fueling since the PCM does hop back and forth b/w the two in its referencing for commanding fueling functions. If you tuned your MAF from the beginning, then you'd have to rework it in the end anyway since your VE table will most likely be different. The point of VE tuning is to deliver AFR from the motor when commanded of it. Take a look a a stock tune, go into the PE multiplier table and you will see that at most rpms, it's trying to command 11.7 or something rediculous like that. If you were to log AFR at WOT you most definitely would not produce 11.7 out of the stock tune... there's some initial proof of inconsistency that the point of tuning is to stamp out!
Old 04-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Old 04-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Restricted User

Hmm, I wasnt aware there was this much confusion/concern for tuning the VE and calibrating the MAF. I was assuming it was done VE first, then MAF following and thats how I planning on doing mine. I want to keep the MAF for the same reasons above, but have the VE dialed in for SD mode in event of failure I dont scatter parts. Good links also.
Charlie

Quick Reply: Tuning 101 need to be updated?