PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got locked HPPIII to work using a Tech2....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got locked HPPIII to work using a Tech2....

Just thought I'd drop a note to anyone who has purchased a Hypertech Power Programmer that hasn't been returned to stock. If you know someone at a GM dealership who knows how to use a Tech2 programmer, here's the trick. First, write down the VIN that's loaded onto the programmer. Have your mechanic wipe your PCM and load that VIN. Next, re-program the PCM with the Hypertech program the previous owner had loaded.(It will say program has been overwritten. This is what happens if your PCM goes bad and you had a program installed). Once loaded, plug programmer back in, hit "return to stock". Now, wipe the PCM and load your VIN number back in. Hook up the HPPIII and start your own program. Plus, you'll get whatever updates GM has added using the Tech2. I know nobody really digs the Hypertech, but I got it cheap and now I got it to work. Just to let you know.

Joe
Old 05-01-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Excellent detective work.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good info.. This would probably work with HP Tuners as well
Old 05-02-2005, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joedrum71
Just thought I'd drop a note to anyone who has purchased a Hypertech Power Programmer that hasn't been returned to stock. If you know someone at a GM dealership who knows how to use a Tech2 programmer, here's the trick. First, write down the VIN that's loaded onto the programmer. Have your mechanic wipe your PCM and load that VIN. Next, re-program the PCM with the Hypertech program the previous owner had loaded.(It will say program has been overwritten. This is what happens if your PCM goes bad and you had a program installed). Once loaded, plug programmer back in, hit "return to stock". Now, wipe the PCM and load your VIN number back in. Hook up the HPPIII and start your own program. Plus, you'll get whatever updates GM has added using the Tech2. I know nobody really digs the Hypertech, but I got it cheap and now I got it to work. Just to let you know.

Joe
Congrats Joe. Glad to hear you got it figured out. I'm buying a used HPP3 this week. I hope I won't have to visit a GM dealer.

Jim
Old 05-02-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LuvMyZ
Congrats Joe. Glad to hear you got it figured out. I'm buying a used HPP3 this week. I hope I won't have to visit a GM dealer.

Jim
Find someone or a shop with sps or tis2000 and they can handle it for you also. Does not have to be a dealer with a TECH2.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
Very good info.. This would probably work with HP Tuners as well
as long as the hypertech ONLY matches by VINs

AND

as long as you have HPtuners for the year/model of the locked VIN on the hypertech and for the year/model of your car.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Teching In

The hypertech III uses a STMicroelectronics (PSD312B-70J) chip. Pin 3 on this chip is the master reset pin. I believe it would not be too difficult to reset this chip, and if you look on the Hypertech board, I believe you will find a point labeled R57 just under the corner of this chip where PIN # 3 is located for resetting it.

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...re/od/7829.pdf
Old 08-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigred122
The hypertech III uses a STMicroelectronics (PSD312B-70J) chip. Pin 3 on this chip is the master reset pin. I believe it would not be too difficult to reset this chip, and if you look on the Hypertech board, I believe you will find a point labeled R57 just under the corner of this chip where PIN # 3 is located for resetting it.

How the heck do you <reset> this PIN #3 again...in ENGLISH this time?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big Red. . . 1. is that to say connect R57 (resistor 57?) to another point or battery to reset?

2. Big Red as in Nebraska or Oklahoma fan?

Thanks

D
Old 08-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Teching In

The answer is in the documentation of the memory chip Hypertech uses.

You will need to have a good understanding of electronics and microprocessors to be able to decipher it. I haven't had a chance to fiddle with it, but I believe you can erase it completely (master reset). There is no UV window on the model chip that Hypertech uses so it will have to be electrically reset.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

You can use any tuning software that allows you to change the VIN to do this, too.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an FYI, if you're attempting to CHANGE a VIN in a Y body, you'll need to isolate the PCM from the BCM. Whether its disconnecting the BCM, or programming the PCM via bench top harness.
Also, attempting to run a Y body with a different VIN in the PCM than the one in the BCM will cause the vehicle not to run (VTD).
If you're reflashing with a matching VIN, this point is moot.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigred122
The answer is in the documentation of the memory chip Hypertech uses.

You will need to have a good understanding of electronics and microprocessors to be able to decipher it. I haven't had a chance to fiddle with it, but I believe you can erase it completely (master reset). There is no UV window on the model chip that Hypertech uses so it will have to be electrically reset.
The master reset will only reset the logic in the chip, not erase the device. To erase the device, you would have to write a bunch of one or zeros to the device via a microprocessor.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Just an FYI, if you're attempting to CHANGE a VIN in a Y body, you'll need to isolate the PCM from the BCM. Whether its disconnecting the BCM, or programming the PCM via bench top harness.
Also, attempting to run a Y body with a different VIN in the PCM than the one in the BCM will cause the vehicle not to run (VTD).
If you're reflashing with a matching VIN, this point is moot.
You wouldn't start the vehicle with the different VIN. You just need to read the PCM and save, change VIN and rewrite. Put the programmer on so it goes "back to stock" then reflash the PCM with the original information you read. PCM is now back exactly how it was before you started and you have an unlocked tuner.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanA
You wouldn't start the vehicle with the different VIN. You just need to read the PCM and save, change VIN and rewrite. Put the programmer on so it goes "back to stock" then reflash the PCM with the original information you read. PCM is now back exactly how it was before you started and you have an unlocked tuner.
I realize this. My post was a generalized statement concerning VIN swapping in a Y body.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

I gotcha.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:28 AM
Teching In

Hm ... I originally picked up a HPP3, which wasn't emptied prior to being sold ... after getting my EFILive, I tried to put the VIN from the PP3 on my car, which worked fine - PP would then read the car settings (PCM was stock at the time), but PP refused to "return the car to stock" as the tune on the car (again, stock AFAIK) didn't match what the PP expected ... maybe I did something wrong though ... !?

Guess the problem is this step: "Next, re-program the PCM with the Hypertech program the previous owner had loaded." - if I HAD the program that was on the previous car, I could do that ... but at least the PP3 I have does not allow for just re-programming the former tune ...

Last edited by Garry; 08-31-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:59 AM
Teching In

Turns out, I went back to re-try it ... when I hook it up, it comes up with "programming was interrupted" and/or a "VIN mismatch" (when I press Y/N during startup) I don't even get it to display the VIN that it has stored ... which makes changing the VIN on my car to the one in the PP3 a bit harder
Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Any updates to this?
I recently sold my TA and forgot to reset/unlock the hypertech tuner
Old 11-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Might as well mail the programmer to the new owner ... without the car, it's a paper weight ...

Quick Reply: Got locked HPPIII to work using a Tech2....