PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot seem to run without MAF for tuning VE

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have the factory injectors still?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:43 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixit
So would you say its normal for my TPS to be showing 3-4% at idle? Or can I bring that down to 0 by asjusting the IAC steps somehow?

Dixit
Your problem is your LTFT and STFT needs to be reset!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Phil
Attached Thumbnails Cannot seem to run without MAF for tuning VE-maf.jpg  

Last edited by Phil99vette; 05-09-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

o2 oscillates a lot at idle, damn lol wish i could get mine to do that. have you dont any modifications to the closed loop proportional tables or any injector tables?

what is wrong with that first log? it looks to idle ok?

try to copy the high octane table over to the low octane side, that could pose some issues.

so are you actually givig it gas or is it idling on its own in those logs? let me know exactly what its doing. but i think the car runs on low octane when in SD mode so once you start to drive the car itmight act weird with so little timing.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

also from the looks of those tables it seems its set up like mine and i had 26.4 stock, desnt yours have 28.8? if thats the case its gonna make your car run richer at idle and maybe with the cam its putting too much error on the o2s giving a false lean? there was a big thread on this by another user. th eo2s switch very nicely so they have pleanty of fuel going across them
Old 05-09-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know you are right WS6FirebirdTA00. I just looked and a 2k2Z06 stock bin was showing larger Injector Flow rate numbers than my BIN file. Looks like the previous tuner threw in some BIN from a previous tune or something, cause there was alot of mess I had to clean up. I definetely should throw in the 2k2Z06stock BIN values for the Injector flow rate. Cause I know I havent changed the injectors and they are defientely stock. Damn, that means my WOT tune is worthless once I change the IFR table to show the correct #s.

Also the scans I show you there of the car warming up and warmed up, are at idle, with no gas, just sitting there purring. The other scan is it with it sitting at idle without gas being pressed and then me taking off from a light (which you can see in the scan). I dont see anything wrong in the Scans, not sure what you mean there. All these show the car running with the MAF on. I havent scanned it without the MAF on because most of the time it dies before I can get a good 5-30sec scan. And yes I did copy the HighOctane over to the LowOctane table because it does switch over to the LowOctane in SD mode. VE table is ok because we dont have a secondary like yall do.

Phill99vette - The reason why the LTFTs show a high number on that PID is because I had to do the whole 50% 60% 80% thing on the first 3 columns of the VE table. With that dropping, I new the LTFTs would be off a bunch, now if I corrected it according to my scans, then I would have hotstart issues with the cam. So everyone kept telling me to reduce the first three columns, but no one ever answered my questions on wont that cause my LTFTs to be off at idle a bunch? What you think I should do there?

Dixit
Old 05-09-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

my car was having troubles when i was trying to scale my injectors. you might want to try to scale them down and check it out then becuase that will change the o2 oscillation and maybe calm it down better and help you get some better numbers. give that a shot first and see if that helps, it made a world of difference on my car making changes like that, fuel trim swings of 10-15 from small ifr adjustments, put that back to stock and go from there. it might be so rich that the o2 sensors arent properly metering the exhaust. just try that first, because we know that is off for sure now
Old 05-09-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Will do that in a few minutes during lunch. Just to make sure I understand, because I have the lower numbers in the IFR table, is that making it run rich? So if I put the stock values back in, you are saying it will be leaner right? Do I got that part right?

But its definetely going to throw my WOT tune off right?

I wish there was a BIN comparison so I can see how much this moron tuner changed and compare it to the stock 2k2 z06 BIN and then just put the stock BIN back in with the changes I made and the necessary ones.

Dixit
Old 05-09-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah really, i hate when people try and screw with injector sizes to get the car to run right, put in what you have and leave it. if u dont have a stock table for the injecotr size let me know and ill get it for you. i would try to find another stock z06 tune and compair all your fueling tables to it cause if he changed any more stuff it could screw u up.

yes it will run leaner, but from the looks of your o2s your not really running too lean. if you were lean they wouldnt really oscillate that much, just from what i have seen on my car, may not be the same for yours but on my car they only oscillate like that if the car is running richer. mine looked like that when i had lower numbers in and when i put actual in it wasnt so active, it said i was richer but it was a false richer, so im just wondering if this is whats causing some odd problems to happen
Old 05-09-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

So would you say its normal for my TPS to be showing 3-4% at idle? Or can I bring that down to 0 by asjusting the IAC steps somehow?

Dixit
Mine shows the same % at idle. I wouldn't worry about this.

I was working on a reply yesterday and got side tracked. I'll send it anyway and see where your at.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:16 PM
7 Second Club

Phill99vette - The reason why the LTFTs show a high number on that PID is because I had to do the whole 50% 60% 80% thing on the first 3 columns of the VE table. With that dropping, I new the LTFTs would be off a bunch, now if I corrected it according to my scans, then I would have hotstart issues with the cam. So everyone kept telling me to reduce the first three columns, but no one ever answered my questions on wont that cause my LTFTs to be off at idle a bunch? What you think I should do there?

Dixit
If you are VE Tuning without a MAF you never have any positive or negative trims. Correct your IFR table, start with a stock VE, reset your LTFT and STFT and start over.
Phil
Old 05-09-2005, 01:14 PM
FormerVendor

You vette guys remember to do Idle releanrs after fooling around with this stuff. The y-body is a little less forgiving than f-bodys when it comes to idle. First off you all dont have IAC motors. Your RAF table is important. Here is a guide to getting your y-body to idle

http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1169
Old 05-09-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Just reflashed the VCM with the correct stock IFR table and also put in the Stock VE table for a 2002 Z06 and it started up fine. Also reset the Fuel Trims. Here is the latest scan.

Idle with correct IFT table and stock VE table

Now the LTFTs are sitting at +25 at Idle, so I definetely got some VE tuning to do. Major VE tuning.

Now heres the other part, disconnected the MAF and started her up and it was barely holding at 400rpm, I mean barely. I managed to get a scan on it before I killed it in fear of it damaging with it idling at 400 like that.
Idle scan without MAF

What you guys think? Im definetely going to have to make changes to the VE table after the drive home with the scan, I mean thats what Ive been doing for the past few months since I cant do it without the MAF connected.

Dixit
Old 05-09-2005, 02:07 PM
7 Second Club

I am not trying to be a smart *** but you CAN NOT tune the VE table accurately with the LTFT and STFT adjusting fuel. I have tuned 2 corvette's and you just can't plain do it. You lower your VE table and reflash, LTFT is +20, when you reset fuel trim your car is gonna be soo outta wack. You need to pull the MAF, tune the ve table, and than retune your MAF.

If your tune is close enough you don't need an idle relearn.
Phil
Old 05-09-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

Ive been basically doing it according to the README on the stickies and just dont do the part about removing the MAF. I scan it, then make adjustments to the VE table and smooth the table and rescan and see how close I get. I got fairly close to 0, I stayed in the -4 to +4 range in the VE table.

I dont think you coming off as a smartass, Im just learning so Im open to all suggestions. I thought adjusting the VE table according to scans after you reset the fuel trims and wait about 50miles was the best way to do it.

Dixit
Old 05-09-2005, 02:17 PM
7 Second Club

Ive been basically doing it according to the README on the stickies and just dont do the part about removing the MAF. I scan it, then make adjustments to the VE table and smooth the table and rescan and see how close I get. I got fairly close to 0, I stayed in the -4 to +4 range in the VE table.

I dont think you coming off as a smartass, Im just learning so Im open to all suggestions. I thought adjusting the VE table according to scans after you reset the fuel trims and wait about 50miles was the best way to do it.

Dixit
Once you reset the fuel trims they should not trim the computer or something is not setup correct. The LTFT/STFT should 0 out and stay 0. If the computer is trimming the fuel how can you accurately get the VE table adjusted?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:19 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Once you reset the fuel trims they should not trim the computer or something is not setup correct. The LTFT/STFT should 0 out and stay 0. If the computer is trimming the fuel how can you accurately get the VE table adjusted?
Once you get the VE table + - 2% corrected air/fuel, log the MAF and use that to calibrate your settings...
Old 05-09-2005, 02:21 PM
FormerVendor

You can do it with LTFT data. It takes a little longer. LTrim data is represented in percentage. The target AFR for closed loop operation is 14.7 your trims +/- indicate how much fuel in percetage is to be added to maintain 14.7. You take the LTFT data built by the hptuenrs histogram and you can adjust the ve table. There are a few problems though. You cant tune WOT and if your o2 sensors are on the fence you will get false results. If your o2's are a little cold from headers, you wont get accurate results. Most that tune by NB o2 are strapped for cash and dont have a WB so they result to tuning by Trim data.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:23 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Phil99vette

The computer doesnt trim in open loop if you are running and open loop tune then you wont see any triminng. In closed loop on the other hand you will see it even if you reset the trims. After the first few miles down the road the computer will start learning again
Old 05-09-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dixit

Have you set the MAF falure freq to 0 to disable your maf? If you are doing right
Old 05-09-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Dixit

Have you set the MAF falure freq to 0 to disable your maf? If you are doing right

For a Corvette, Do NOT unplug the MAF sensor to disable it for SD tuning. Set the MAF fail frequency to 0. The MAF sensor also contains the IAT sensor. If you unplug it the PCM won't function correctly in SD mode because of the lack of IAT data.

You will get a code P0103 when you do this. Some turn off the code, but I prefer to leave it on to verify that I am in SD mode and the MAF sensor has 'failed'.

Quick Reply: Cannot seem to run without MAF for tuning VE