Sponsored by:

Please Help me tune My VE Table With HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
Pro Mouse, have you checked out the article in this thread? It's very informative! There are some more good sticky threads about tuning VE on the HP Tuners message board.
Great info ,Thanks for the Link LS1 Sounds....
Old 05-17-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Question

Originally Posted by Robert56
Here's a way describe in the stickies. Copy LTFT in histogram, then in VE table right click, then special paste, then add. It will automaticaly add your + and - correctly. Then save to bin. Might have to do a couple times. A much easier way to do it. I've done three ways and this is by far the fastest. then you can also go to 3D and smooth peaks and valleys.
Ok I got every thing figured out,But seems How my LTFT's are in the Neg what do I do when Special Pasting the numbers ,do I use Add?
Thanks!!!
Old 05-17-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you want to copy the Histogram ageraged values, open up the Primary VE table, right-click it and select Paste Special > Add.

Negative values indicate fuel is being removed due to a rich condition. You want to lean out this cell in the VE table by decreasing the value in the corresponding cell and vice versa for positive trims.

Using Paste Special > Add does the math for you quickly. Adding a negative number is the same as subtraction.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you want to copy the Histogram ageraged values, open up the Primary VE table, right-click it and select Paste Special > Add.

Negative values indicate fuel is being removed due to a rich condition. You want to lean out this cell in the VE table by decreasing the value in the corresponding cell and vice versa for positive trims.

Using Paste Special > Add does the math for you quickly. Adding a negative number is the same as subtraction.
Ok Sweet Thanks LS1 Sounds!!!I Have done Both Tunes one with Subtract and one with Add ,I will use the Add one...Thanks again,also How do I find MAF Fail Freq?
Scott
Old 05-17-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Edit > Engine Diagnostics > General > Maf Sensor Fail Frequency
Old 05-17-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unhappy

Edit > Engine Diagnostics > General > Maf Sensor Fail Frequency
Ok Gotcha Thanks!
I Rescaled the VE without the MAF disconnected and there was NO Change,Except the LTFT's were more - at Idle Driving I still had -12.5 ltft's
Old 05-17-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

remember ... you have to use the secondary VE unless you're an 01+ OS

Tune both primary and secondary
Old 05-17-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Horist ,Yes I have a 99 and I did also do the 2nd VE.I did what LS1 Sounds said to do,I did the main table and Copied and Pasted the 20,30.40,50,60,70,80,90,and 100 to the second VE Table.....But shouldnt I have seen a little bit leaner ?How Long of a drive do I need to see any change?Oh Yeah I also Reset the Fuel trims before I logged....Thanks!
Scott
Old 05-17-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

So is it Manditory to disconnect the MAF or Disable it?For VE Tuning and why?
Thanks!
Old 05-17-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you need to disable it so it doesn't have any influence on the LTFTs. Disable the MAF, copy the High Octane spark table to the Low Octane, reset the fuel trims with your scanner then go driving for a while. Log several miles trying to hit all of the cells in the histogram as much as possible (the more time you spend in each one the better established your readings will be).

Make sure average is selected for the LTFT histogram and you are looking at all of the data loaded into the display. Copy the data, Paste Special Add it into the Primary VE table, hand-smooth any spikes in the 3D Surface graph, save the table, copy the appropriate rows into the Secondary VE table, save that table.

Flash the PCM with the new bin, reset the fuel trims, wash, rinse, and repeat until you are satisfied with the VE table.

Now, with all of that being said... I initially tuned my car this way and ended up with some readings that I wasn't satisfied with like erratic LTFTs at low MAP values and trims going positive when I tried to lean out the PE table the first time. I then disabled PE mode, DFCO, and COT on my car and re-tuned the VE table and it seems much better now! Your mileage may vary.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I will have to wait until I can drive more my drive to work and back isnt much,20 miles round trip.I will try to get this done in a couple of Days though.Thanks for the good info and time LS1 Sounds....
Scott
Old 05-18-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I did an experiment,I have 2 tunes one with my Stock MAF with my bigger ends(Flows Approx 1000 cfm's) and a Tune with the 85 mm maf which I sold ,I made more power with this Big ended oneWell My Tuner does not have my MAF Table Correct,Because I put his 85 mm maf table in there and my LTFT's are more towards Normal,Still needs tweeking but driving down the road,My LTFT's are at worst -5.5(They more like average -2 to -3 on the Histogram) so I think my MAF Table is way Off???What do you guys think???
Scott

Last edited by Pro Mouse; 05-18-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

When Should I set my MAF Fail to 0,After I start the car or Before?
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

This has been a great post guys, I have been trying to tune my car for a month and this post allowed me to tune it in about 2 hours. I learn something new everyday.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very Knowledgable post it is,I have learned a great deal in this topic.Still dont know about when to do the MAF Fail Freq yet though
Old 05-18-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Set the fail frequency to 0, flash that bin, start the car, open up the scanner and check DTC's. Some cars take a while to set the code, but you should see code P0103 (MAF fail). I like to leave this code enabled so it sets the SES light and reminds me that I'm in SD mode.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Set the fail frequency to 0, flash that bin, start the car, open up the scanner and check DTC's. Some cars take a while to set the code, but you should see code P0103 (MAF fail). I like to leave this code enabled so it sets the SES light and reminds me that I'm in SD mode.
Cool Thanks alot LS1 Sounds!This was something I thought I could do with VCM Control,I didnt relize I had to Flash the VCM with this info
But now I know....Thanks again

Last edited by Pro Mouse; 05-18-2005 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Please Help me tune My VE Table With HP Tuners