PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 Octane then tune went to the dark side...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 100 Octane then tune went to the dark side...

I'm breaking in my newly rebuilt 427. I've got over 700 miles on the rebuild and it was running very strong and smooth (427 tune was based on 92 octane and was carried over from last year'). In fact, After 500 miles on last oil change and the oil is still on the full line and is very clear. Oh to have an engine build right...priceless!!!

Anywho...It's going back to the shop next week for a tune and I wanted it tuned for 100 octane. Having HP Tuner, I can flip my tunes around based on what gas I use (100 octane for track vs. 92 octane for just cruising).

So ...I filled up my car with 100 octane (again, on the 92 octane tune) and about 30 miles later it started back firing like a cannon (saw two old men grab their chest in pain) ...the car ran like total shat. I checked all electrical connection, spark plugs, coils, and all were fine.

What would cause this, thoughts??? any 427 100 octain bin files would be mucho appreciated. 11:5 to 1 compression and after rebuild it's actually a 430 CI displacement.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 05-19-2005, 04:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know around here, one of the stations that sells race
gas has had the leaded and unleaded signs on the wrong
pumps for years. The locals know about it and fill the jug
at the wrong (right) one. Somebody passing through,
might find themselves right screwed a ways down the
road.

Just a possibility.