PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner reduced timing tables to 19 degrees to reduce knock

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just scanned after desensitizing the sensors on my late year 98 and no more WOT KR. My knock learn factor was back at 1 in about an hour. I've since added 2 degrees of advance across the high octane table. No KR at all. I'm going to do more testing, but it looks good.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well 2 months ago I had a OEM rocker loose its bearings. Heard so much marketing spin on the Crane 1.8 rocker kit, Crane springs, etc. I went with that.

After the install the knock was so bad they tuned it down to 19 degrees and it was still there. Since then to fix it the shop has:

Replaced intake to SLP LS6
Readjusted the lifters to Crane specs again
Replaced to the newer upgraded knock sensors
Ran two tanks of Lucas Top End fuel cleaner
Readjusted the lifters again with Joe Vinci on phone
Ran 1 tank of RedLine fuel cleaner
New motor mounts and tranny mount
104 Octane Gas

Something is producing enough noise in that freequency range to trigger the knock sensors. I would not call this false knock. After all those sensors are basically tuned microphones. We will repalce back to OEM lifters in 2 weeks.

Last edited by Mark A. Rogalski; 06-10-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is false knock, real knock would mean you are detoating and im telling you if you have been going on this long with real knock that bad you would have seen other problems by now
Old 06-10-2005, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

mark had an OEM ROCKER, not lifter loose it bearings. keep us posted on the results. yes the sensors are 'tuned' microphones. which when 'turned up', will pick up anything in a 'frequency'. thereby picking up a noise that's NOT knock. and of course pulling 4* out. so, what most are saying is to 'turn down' the microphone so it won't pick up 'background' noise.

kind of like the lead singer of a band singing through his microphone and you can hear the backup singers through his.

either way, post the results of swapping out the rockers back to stock ones. remember you'll have to swap back to stock length pushrods. the vinci/crane are 7.250" long. the stocks are 7.400" long.

Quick Reply: Tuner reduced timing tables to 19 degrees to reduce knock