Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If it's not broke don't fix it?....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If it's not broke don't fix it?....HELP

So I just got done putting my buddies 99ss back together. When he bought the car it had some issues so we decided to pull out the engine and go through it to make sure everything was ok. When he got the car the SES light was on (ckp relearn) so it would break up about 3200+ or with heavy loads......anyhow

Pulled the engine, put in a Fm-7 cam, with the crane springs and new pushrods, ls6 oil pump, cometic hg's, arp studs, knock sensors, headers, ngk tr6's and o2 deletes........

So i got the car together, had the crank relearn done, and the car runs pretty well, but has a slight surge at idle. I suspected a vac leak cause it sounded like one by the egr tube that goes into the intake, and sure enough that was the problem...

Before I fixed the vac leak the car ran pretty good 2500+rpm, but it was pretty lazy down low. The only big prob was the surge at idle, ltfts were at like -20 at the time, i suspected the vac leak was the cause.... so after the vac "fix" the car wouldn't idle worth a damn. Pig rich beyond belief. It only would stay running with the tps at like 4% or higher, which moves the pcm out of hte idle circiut i believe... He took the car out and got on it a little 2-3rd gear and the ltfts were around -6.4% for both banks, but the car would stall when coming back down to idle...I did notice that i would get a low number of misfires in all cylinders (<15) and it sounded like it was misfiring but maybe cause its so rich? wtf

The only thing I have to check this stuff out right now is a snap on scanner, as I know HP tuners would be a world of help right now.... Do you guys think that since the vac leak was producing unmetered air that it compensated for being rich before? I really don't konw where to go from here........without anything to tune it... any ideas???

Sorry for the length, TIA for the help.

Combo: 99 ls1, ls6 pcv,pacesetter lt,tsp hi-flo cat y,fm-7,vortech non-intercooled 5psi kit,ngk tr6's @.035
Old 05-31-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it prob just needs to be tuned really bad. the vacuum leak let it get more air in and now its just not getting enough. have you done any tuning?

i dont know much about forced induction set ups but i know for a n/a car those gaps are small, i assume with a supercharger you want a tighter gap?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, things are going from bad to worse. I took the o-ring out of the egr tube, cause it ran like that so I figured i'd undo what i did. Before it would sputter, but now nothing. The plugs are wet beyond belief, and its getting spark too??? Now I think I'm chasing something electrical because I'll turn off the key, and the guages will like reset and go nuts and the SES light will stay on for a few seconds.wtf is going on here? I'll get the car up on the lift tomorrow and see if maybe the positive batt cable is burned through cause of the headers or something of that sort. I dont understand why this just all of a sudden happend???? any help or ideas would be of great help