Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hptuners + wideband + boost = I don't know how to tune it

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 07:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
That is the WRONG way to go about it, NEVER change the IFR table to tune! Only change the IFR table if you changed injectors, other criticle tables also use the IFR and you could really screw things up that way.

).
Wanna bet If you tune the IFR in for L-terms the car will be good if it goes into a limp mode and only runs on the VE/IFR table
Old 06-24-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's an update. the truck seems to be running pretty good. ltrims are all negative from 15-80map. 85-105 they are still +4, don't know why. my a/f ratio at wot was anywhere from 12.8 all the way down to 9.8. I adjusted my PE table and ran it again. Same result. weird.

I also noticed that after running wot a few times, my a/f while cruising was no longer 14.7, it was 11.25. it also said my commanded a/f was 11.25. Why is that? Does it just get stuck in pe mode?

I did a few 1/4 mile runs using my G-tech. My reaction time is BAD. I ran 14.7 the first time in 4wd then 14.4 the second time in 4wd. 0-60 was 6.0sec and top speed was 99mph. It felt like it wasn't going anywhere for the first couple seconds. Something feels wrong. I didn't log it unfortunately. Shouldn't I be high 13's or low 14's?

I revved to 2500rpm or so then put it to the floor. I wonder if i should not go all the way to the floor right away. I'll keep messing with it.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:48 PM
FormerVendor

The 11.2 AFR is COT.

Temporarily turn the cat over temp off (COT, Lean Cruise tab).

Also, post your current caibration and logged data somewhere.
Internet guessing takes too much time.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Super Sport X2
The 11.2 AFR is COT.

Temporarily turn the cat over temp off (COT, Lean Cruise tab).

Also, post your current caibration and logged data somewhere.
Internet guessing takes too much time.
I'd be more than happy to post up my tune and log. don't know how to.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Ok, so I'm gonna start over.

I was thinking I'll put the VE back to stock, put the MAF calibration back to stock(modified it for the ported TB), set the PE all to 1, turn off the COT, set the commanded a/f ratio to 13?, do i need to do anything with the open loop and closed loop stuff?

I should reset the fuel trims and drive under 4000rpm and under 60% throttle for 50miles or so. Then start logging. Then adjust my IFR based on ltrims? or should i adjust my VE using the wideband error stuff? This is where i get confused. Do I do both, or just one of these things?

Assuming I'm starting from scratch, can someone tell me where to begin? stock VE, IFR set to stock for 42lb injectors, PE set to 1, etc.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

to the top biotch
Old 06-25-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

tried disabling that COT thing, nope, still gets stuck at 11.3afr after i stomp on it. This heat is making the truck run like ***.

the good news is my ltrims are right on. my wot afr is right on, seemingly. had to reduce the timing at wot down to 13ish. truck doesn't feel strong at all today. since everything else looks good, i'll blame the heat. ect 210F, trans temp 200F.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
tried disabling that COT thing, nope, still gets stuck at 11.3afr after i stomp on it. This heat is making the truck run like ***.

the good news is my ltrims are right on. my wot afr is right on, seemingly. had to reduce the timing at wot down to 13ish. truck doesn't feel strong at all today. since everything else looks good, i'll blame the heat. ect 210F, trans temp 200F.

Email me a copy of your current calibration and that data you just logged.

Ken
Old 06-29-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Tuning sucks.

Who ever thought when i purchased the whipple that it would have taken over all of my free time for the last 2 years. holy ****. it has never run right. over $1000 in "custom tune", "dyno tunes", and tuning software. Still runs like ****. Thank you to those who are helping. I would be TOTALLY lost without you. Someday, hopefully soon, i'll be able to do a 1/4 mile run and post up some 13.xx numbers. We'll see.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

God i was thinkin abou gettin hptuners and readin this whole post makes me wanna cry. I hope that i have a REAL good mentor when i get it. You will have no issue getting into the 13's when you are done. Maybe into the 12's as you could easily make 550 hp. GL

John
Old 06-29-2005, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

too bad you are not in vegas, i could tune it well for you. Forced induction tuning is one of my specialties.

With that said, find a good tuner on the east coast and travel to them. If it's been 2yrs it will be worth the time and money.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:47 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Zombie
too bad you are not in vegas, i could tune it well for you. Forced induction tuning is one of my specialties.

With that said, find a good tuner on the east coast and travel to them. If it's been 2yrs it will be worth the time and money.

Just need to get him to Matt before he's out of the country.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

I'm getting mixed information. Should the ifr table be set to 41.67 accross the board and just tune the VE via ltrims OR should I adjust the IFR to get the ltrims inline? I'm so damn confused. Why did I buy a wideband if it has nothing to do with tuning? So far, nobody has made any mention of using the wideband reading to tune. Is it just for PE stuff? HELP, HELP, HELP!!!

oh, and thanks again for those who have taken the time to look at my tune and help me.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't flatline the IFR unless you have a rising rate regulator. It should be a relatively smooth curve if you look at the graph. Yes, the WB is mostly just for WOT - the easy part!

-Geoff
Old 06-30-2005, 06:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
I'm getting mixed information. Should the ifr table be set to 41.67 accross the board and just tune the VE via ltrims OR should I adjust the IFR to get the ltrims inline? I'm so damn confused. Why did I buy a wideband if it has nothing to do with tuning? So far, nobody has made any mention of using the wideband reading to tune. Is it just for PE stuff? HELP, HELP, HELP!!!

oh, and thanks again for those who have taken the time to look at my tune and help me.

I used the IFRT to get my LTFTs inline (0 ~> -7) before doing anything else. VE the last thing I touched.

Wide band is used during timing/fuel adjustments for part throttle and especially WOT to make sure you're a/f ratio is correct. I'd have it in the 11.7 range(+/- .2).
Old 06-30-2005, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
I used the IFRT to get my LTFTs inline (0 ~> -7) before doing anything else. VE the last thing I touched.

Wide band is used during timing/fuel adjustments for part throttle and especially WOT to make sure you're a/f ratio is correct. I'd have it in the 11.7 range(+/- .2).
If I get the ltrims in line by using the IFR, why would I need to touch the VE table? I don't really care which way it gets done, as long as it's right. Do I need to scale my MAF callibration table according to that spreadsheet i've seen floating around here? I have a stock maf but a ported tb.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Is the fuel pressure regulator the same on trucks as it is on cars? I haven't touched mine. My fuel pressure at idle is 58ish. At wot it's high 60's.

Should I be adjusting the IFR or should I be adjusting the VE?

HELP, HELP, HELP!!!!! thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are your ltrims in line? Are your cam/heads/headers stock? Did you ever post up a log file?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by P Mack
Are your ltrims in line? Are your cam/heads/headers stock? Did you ever post up a log file?
by adjusting the ifr table, i did get my ltrims in line. I posted up the wrong fuel pressure earlier. idle is 48.

stock head and cam. ported throttle body. can't understand why the wideband reads 11.25 on every cell after i do a wot run. totally whacked. clearly it's wrong right? or am i getting stuck in some mode?

I'd love to post up a log, can't figure out how to.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by P Mack
by adjusting the ifr table, i did get my ltrims in line. I posted up the wrong fuel pressure earlier. idle is 48.

stock head and cam. ported throttle body. can't understand why the wideband reads 11.25 on every cell after i do a wot run. totally whacked. clearly it's wrong right? or am i getting stuck in some mode?

I'd love to post up a log, can't figure out how to. Also can't figure out why my truck falls on it's face off the line. Timing drops to 0. kills my 1/4 mile times. i swear it's the damn TB causing all this crap..

Quick Reply: Hptuners + wideband + boost = I don't know how to tune it