Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to run wideband wiring??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to run wideband wiring??

OK guys, I found many posts on where to mount the wideband sensor itselft in the exhaust, but have not found out where you guys with them run the wires into the cabin of the car. I have an LC-1 kit and cannot see a decent spot in the firewall to run the wires thru. My wideband will be mounted in the beginning of the I-pipe, so I considered running the wires up thru the little rubber bushing under the rear seat, but those cables are so big it would look like crap. Any suggestions or advice?

Also, is there any reason that I cannot legnthen the wires with simple butt connectors? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Also, is there any reason that I cannot legnthen the wires with simple butt connectors? Thanks.
That's how I ended up tackling the problem. I added several feet to the analog out 1, system ground, heater ground and switch 12v source since I decided to use the stock B1S1 connection to the PCM for my power source. I didn't mount it permanently in the car just yet. As a temporary solution, when the wideband is installed the wires have been run up the side of the engine compartment, out from under the hood by the windshield, and in through the drivers window. But, I'm told there is a hole in the firewall behind the glove box if you can find it. That would probably require taking the PCM out of the car to gain access to it.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a rubber grommet below the PCM. Or there is one below the driver's seat. The one below the PCM will probably require removal of the PCM to get to it, unless you have small hands.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. SSpeedemon, thats the same thing I did for a temp solution. Sure looks like crap, but it does the job

I will check for that grommet behind the PCM, no wonder I couldn't find it.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

I am looking at mounting my LC-1 this weekend. Where did you get the power (12v) from?

Bill
Old 07-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Restricted User

I wouldnt mount it so far away, the I Pipe that is. I had a bung installed inches from the O2 sensor, running the cable over to the SFC and then up thru the grommet at the leading edge of the drivers seat area. I cut a "+" in the center of the grommet, shoved the cable through, no leaking through there, well minimal if any, and it stays tucked up, no issues. I disassembled the center console, ran the cig adapter (cut the adpater end off far enough out I could reuse it) and spliced into a switched wire in the console. Then I drilled a smallhole under the change holder in the center console to run the power wire through, and ran the sensor wire into the console, tucking the unit inside the center console, it fits very nice and out of plain sight.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by CAT3
I wouldnt mount it so far away, the I Pipe that is. I had a bung installed inches from the O2 sensor, running the cable over to the SFC and then up thru the grommet at the leading edge of the drivers seat area. I cut a "+" in the center of the grommet, shoved the cable through, no leaking through there, well minimal if any, and it stays tucked up, no issues. I disassembled the center console, ran the cig adapter (cut the adpater end off far enough out I could reuse it) and spliced into a switched wire in the console. Then I drilled a smallhole under the change holder in the center console to run the power wire through, and ran the sensor wire into the console, tucking the unit inside the center console, it fits very nice and out of plain sight.
That sounds good. I was going to use the bung on the Y-Pipe on the pass side but will try the driver side now since I can run the wires under the drivers seat. Do you have any pictures?

Bill
Old 07-12-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I am putting in the I-pipe at the sugestion of Innovate and several members on here. It should get me the most accurate readings.

As for power, you can do as described above. Personally, I am going to tap into the fuse block on the drivers side of the dash. There is a blank spot on mine that is only on when the key is on.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

I ran mine through the drivers seat grommet. Since I'm only using the LC-1 some of the time for tuning, I tied into the cig. lighter with a universal connector. I'll install the sensor and plug it in when I want to want to use it.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by S2002S
I ran mine through the drivers seat grommet. Since I'm only using the LC-1 some of the time for tuning, I tied into the cig. lighter with a universal connector. I'll install the sensor and plug it in when I want to want to use it.
Is the lighter only on when the key is on?

Bill
Old 07-12-2005, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

No, it is powered all the time...that's why I use the univeral plug-in.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A switched +12 inside the car that I've used is the large gauge pink wire that goes to the TCS switch - it's pretty easy to get to. (IIRC you just have to pull the radio out.)

I'm going to be hooking up my LC-1 to power from somewhere in the engine compartment (pref. passenger side), so if anyone knows a good place to tap in around there please post it.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran my lm-1 wire up through the shifter hole and out the bottom of the center console.

Quick Reply: Where to run wideband wiring??