Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech power programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech power programmer?

hey I was just wondering if this thing (hypertech power programmer III) can do delete codes for the o2 sensors and stuff like that becaue I will be putting on my pacesettes real soon and was thinking about buying this, is this product worth the money, my car is a 98 so that limits the amount of programing products I can buy, any feedback would be very helpful
Old 07-12-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

HPPIII are crap. take the money and put towards a tuning program (HPtuner, LS1edit), or find a good tuner in your area and pay them.
I have heard bad stories about them.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HPP3=crap....
Old 07-12-2005, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

I have one it came with my car when I bought it Ive never used it. The only thing I would use it for would be for changing tire sizes or raising the rev limiter, or speedo.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Teching In

thanks looks like I'll forget about it, I'll probably just get the car tuned cause now Im thinking about getting a cam, any ideas on what kind of cam I should get, right now my car is running 13.6's at 104 with just a lid and my loudmouth, I will be adding my pacesetters and like I said I am looking for any ideas on a cam that could take me into the 12's, Im hoping headers and a cam would be good for 12's I'll probably get some drag radials too, any suggestions on a cam would be great thanks, oh and the car is an m6 if that makes a difference, thanks alot guys/girls

Vinnie
Old 07-12-2005, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

check out jrp's cam guide it will get you pointed in the right direction
Old 07-12-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VinEEdChiN
thanks looks like I'll forget about it, I'll probably just get the car tuned cause now Im thinking about getting a cam, any ideas on what kind of cam I should get, right now my car is running 13.6's at 104 with just a lid and my loudmouth, I will be adding my pacesetters and like I said I am looking for any ideas on a cam that could take me into the 12's, Im hoping headers and a cam would be good for 12's I'll probably get some drag radials too, any suggestions on a cam would be great thanks, oh and the car is an m6 if that makes a difference, thanks alot guys/girls

Vinnie
Read this sticky, and it will help you decide.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/327734-cam-guide.html
Old 07-12-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Read this sticky, and it will help you decide.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327734
Old 07-13-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very helpful sticky, also helped me decide on what cam to shoot for
Old 07-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Looks like Hyper's aren't popular around here, but I guess to each his own...I had one on my '98 and now have one on my '99. Personally, I like them. Some bitch slammed into the back of my '98 and totalled it, so I unprogrammed it and still have the HPIII for it. If you change your mind and decide you still want one, I'll sell you mine pretty cheap so you don't have to shell out the $350 for a new one only to learn you don't care for it. Email me if interested.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shadow Assassin
Looks like Hyper's aren't popular around here, but I guess to each his own...I had one on my '98 and now have one on my '99. Personally, I like them. Some bitch slammed into the back of my '98 and totalled it, so I unprogrammed it and still have the HPIII for it. If you change your mind and decide you still want one, I'll sell you mine pretty cheap so you don't have to shell out the $350 for a new one only to learn you don't care for it. Email me if interested.
I'm with you, I have an HPPIII and not only did the engine tuning it does give my Z a very noticable kick in the pants it improved the throttle response and fuel economy. Also the tuning you can do with shift points, shift firmness, gear changes, tire/wheel changes, etc. IMO is worth having it anyway. I'm sold till it bites me in the ***, and its been installed for 15 months with no problems. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats because you guys havent used real tuning programs yet or seen what the hpp3 file looks like, its pertty shitty. i agree its alright for an auto IF you only want to change shift points. i logged my friends 98 and it made it lean as hell (which is why you feel the power in the first place) and it was getting 4-7* of knock from it, POS IMO
Old 07-20-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

my car had the tuning but it didn't lean it out bad at all....I went through and bought EFI LIVE v7 and it is awesome...learned exactly what hypertech did...some of it is in my signature.

FORGET THE HANDHELDS!!!! GO TO HPTUNERS OR EFI LIVE. I personally use EFI LIVE And learning is nothing but time....I will inform you all of my new power gains as soon as i get to the dyno...i have yet to dyno on my tune. Then again it shouldn't gain much..just leaned it out and changed spark table, PE based on RPM and tweaked a few others a little but those last couple had nothing to do with performance.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

please do not refer to what HPP3 does as TUNING....

it is junk... if you dont know its junk its only because you dont have a REAL tune in your car, and dont have the foggiest clue what you are talking about....

take your car WITH the hpp3 "tune" in it to a REAL tuner and watch them pull more poneys out of your car....

anyone with hpp3 wanna RACE?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

oh yeh and putting water wetter in your coolent is NOT a freakin MOD!
Old 07-20-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jaberwaki

it is junk... if you dont know its junk its only because you dont have a REAL tune in your car, and dont have the foggiest clue what you are talking about....

take your car WITH the hpp3 "tune" in it to a REAL tuner and watch them pull more poneys out of your car....

damn son take out some anger....well lets just say that some tuners also can't tune worth a ****...nuff said.

THE BASICS: if you are going to get into your car and get some type of tuning....RESEARCH..find out what tuners REAL tuners are using and learn...thats precisely what I'm doing. I'm trying to learn some of the things on my own and I know that experience is everything and it does take a lot of time to learn how to properly tune a car

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 07-20-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
damn son take out some anger....well lets just say that some tuners also can't tune worth a ****...nuff said.

THE BASICS: if you are going to get into your car and get some type of tuning....RESEARCH..find out what tuners REAL tuners are using and learn...thats precisely what I'm doing. I'm trying to learn some of the things on my own and I know that experience is everything and it does take a lot of time to learn how to properly tune a car

there is no anger aside from bad advise, using hpp3 is a mistake.

there are plenty of great tuners on this site.
most all of the sponcers here have in house tuning and they are all better then hpp3....

if i can stop people from waisting 350 bucks then i will.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jaberwaki

You know, I started to write a paragraph to rebutt this, and realized your not worth any more of my time than this.........
Old 07-21-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

I must say the 350 price tag isn't worth it. I would much have rather spent it on EFI LIVE or HPTUNERS for those that are even thinking about ever getting tuning. Because if the tuner you get to tune your car doesn't lock the pcm..or you ask them not to lock the pcm..and then you can go in and see what they did on whatever program you bought to tune your own car.

You are't going to STOP people from wasting money..you will simply convice those (and at that some of) the people up here from getting hypertech or predator handhelds. I will admit that a REAL professional tune is millions of times better than the handhelds, that is real and it is true for the most part. Yes we have sponsors up here and I will leave that alone. I know a guy right now on this site that I have talked to and true he didn't go to a sponsor up here or person up here he went to a different place and he had "a professional" tune his car..and even though he added a turbo it was such a messed up tune that he ran SLOWER times than before the turbo. He is currently going to head to a real professional that i believe is up here and he will get his tune from him.

HPP3 is not the best option, EFI LIVE & HPTuners & LS1EDIT are FAR BETTER-simply because they are what the professional tuning people use and companies built these in-depth programs to completely CUSTOMIZE ones' car.

EFI live offers a free download that you can take a look at their software...PLEASE DO. Play with it, hell EFI live has a forum www.efilive.com/forum also www.efilive.com so does HPTuners www.hptuners.com and http://www.hptuners.com/forum/YaBB.pl

IF YOU DO SEARCHES UP HERE YOU WILL FIND THAT 90% or more of people USE either EFI LIVE or HPTUNERS and yes I still know about some people that use LS1Edit..it was the first to come out
Old 07-21-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Problem : people are wondering about HPP3 handhelds and/or the Diablo Predator..

Answer : HPTuners & EFI Live & LS1edit are FAR better and are worth the price

We should make a sticky that has a topic of Tuning software that professionals use and list : Hptuners, efi live, ls1edit and then keep opinions of what is better to the individual that uses whatever software he/she likes. I see so many questions about these things a week its ridiculous