PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges (RPM, Fuel, Temp) dropping to nothing... where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gauges (RPM, Fuel, Temp) dropping to nothing... where to start?

been having a weird problem lately... suddenly as I'm driving the tach, temp and fuel level gauges will drop to 0 , then after a second or two they'll come back up to normal... no noticable power issues so seems the PCM's getting its data, but it isn't reaching the gauge cluster correctly

Also noticed my oil pressure is being goofy (but may just be this damn hot weather) ... after it warms up at idle it'll bounch between about 23/24 PSI so much it makes ya dizzy... may not be related , but figure i'd toss it out (since the oil pressure is direct from the sensor probably isn't related)

I'm guessing the RPM, Temp and Fuel Level are all on the same bus or wire from the PCM? can anyone confirm this? Speedometer, oil, and voltage all work fine (though voltage is low also, just above yellow, bad ground from my battery relocation, however I don't believe the issues I am having are voltage related, as my headlights don't dim when th gauges drop)

Any suggestions on where to start?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I have seen this before, can't recall if it was on our 2001 Camaro SS or when the 1998 Z28 was stock. I will try and remember what happened, but I believe it is related to the wiring behind the dash ... possibly a bad/loosening connection. The gauges acting funny indicates (as you summised) that voltage is being interupted. It could be the ground on the battery relocation, but that would affect everything else. Sometimes the lights will not dim, because they are on a different harness. This helps to rule out a general short, like from the battery or alt. What else was hooked up to the car? Were you logging?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

When it happened last nothing was hooked up... I checked the battery connections and all seemed ok (battery relocated to trunk, so checked front and back).

I noticed a few days ago w/the logger hooked up, when the gauges dipped it'd loose connection also. I'll have to pull the gauge cluster out once it cools down, check for a bad connection... the car vibrates/shakes alot so that's definetly possible.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am having the exact same problem i dont have the slightest clue on what it is either any help would be greatly helpful
Old 07-22-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

TTT, haven't gotten a chance to look ati t yet (too damn hot and muggy out), but any other suggestions? Anyone have a wiring diagram showing the grounds for the gauges? whatever the problem.. it's gotta be a common wire between the 3 failing gauges and the DLC
Old 07-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

is you car pulling any codes i got a brake switch code i wonder if that has any thing to do with it? pobly not but.......
Old 07-22-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

nope... only SES lights are for the MAF being disabled , but I've been running speed density for over a year. My Brake/ABS Inop/TCS off lamps have been on for a year too since i disabled my ABS... I'll probably pull the instrument panel this weekend and check for loose grounds...

In the mean time if anyone has any wiring diagrams please let us know
Old 09-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Launching!

make sure you have a ground strap between the engine and body.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like grimlens caused by a loose ground wire. Probably not a battery or pcm ground since they car stays running, i'd see if you can find a bcm wiring diagram or something along those lines to trace ground wires.