Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help quick...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 02:43 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help quick...

A friends car suddenly stopped starting, it would crank but wont start here and there at first. Sometimes opening the hood to check the battery or whatever it would then start. Now, it wont. It cranks, but wont start. I went over w/ HPT, read the VCM and then wrote the same tune back in, the car starts right up. Shut it off and the car cranks wont start again. Did this write trick 4 times to verify once written it starts, but each time you shut it off it will crank no start. No security light on either. Seems like maybe a problem with the BCM to VCM, relink or something. How can I fix this? Rewrite entire VCM or is this a dealer issue?
This is on a 35th SS Annie edition if it matters, A4.
Thanks

Charlie
Old 07-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Restricted User

NO DTC's. No SES, No Security Light. Flippen odd.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Turn off the VATS and see if the problem goes away.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Restricted User

Will try that. On my car my security light is on all the time, but never hindered me starting or driving. Too bad HPT cant fix the fricken Sec. Light. On this car the light is not on, but unless the PCM is flashed (or some random act of God) it wont start after being shut off, just cranks away. I was tossing up b/w complete rewrite of the VCM and delete VATS.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

did you/he perform any mods prior to the tune? My bird acted like this when i didn't have the ECT sensor connected.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Restricted User

Absolutely no mods. I know, thats disgusting, but hey he just bought it, ex-Maryland car. Not even a stereo mod.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

100% bone stock??? I didn't think they came like that any more!

Have you tried flashing the stock tune back in?

Long shot questions:
After you flash the tune in, are you turning the car/key off for at least 15 seconds?

On the first start after the tune, are you connecting your scanner before starting to log a cold start?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Restricted User

I pulled stock tune, wrote it back, waited til pump stopped, crank, start no problem. I wasnt trying to scan any cold start, but when I did scan for normal baseline it seemed good and no DTCs. There was a one or two that the key went off for 15sec after flashing, no change. I will try the VATS disable, and then see whats up. Keith is kind of puzzled as well. Ugh....
Old 07-27-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd go with the VAT's first, but if that doesn't work:

Here's my long shot... flash the tune (stock or modified), calibration only - no need for a full reflash. shut the car off, wait one full minute. Turn the car on and let it sit for 10-15 seconds before trying to start.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Restricted User

Will try it like that as well. Havent heard anyone else with a solution, to include GM. GM said they never heard of this before, since the Sec.LT is not on or flashing. Weird.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:33 AM
Restricted User

Ok, finally got back to work, after work of course. Went over to Larrys house, opened his .bin file, selected NONE under VATS and loaded it. Started right up as it did before. Ran for a few minutes, and I scanned it while warming up. Holy **** odd, the FTC was 68 or something? I was like what? Then verified I wasnt high, so I saved this part, in case anyone wanted to check my integrity. Anyway, it changed from like 68 to 67 or whatever, then after hitting closed loop, placed it in gear and it went to 17. Relief. Shut it off for a couple minutes, cranked, and....it started! Yeah! So, went back through the scan again, shutoff and restarted no problem. Shut it off again, let it sit 15min, started right back up. Glad to know that the Island Oddities are still here.

Island Anomolies:
1) Had a nightmare with Drew778's 2002 SS after installing HPT over Edit, which was over Diablo. For no explainable reason after multiple attempts, it finally started back acting right with the same tune I tried numerous times to load.

2) Did a little bit of tune adjustment on a friends 35thSSLE, and when he d/c'd the battery the car started taking extended time during shifts and acting up. Reloaded tune, and the trans was fine after that.

3) Larry's 35thSSLE, had it the last 3wks or so, bought with ZERO mods ( I know what a disgrace) and then it all of a sudden wouldnt start periodically. Then, it failed to start period, thats the car in this thread, turns out to be the VATS but no security light illuminated.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

wow! glad to hear you got it worked out.