PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dos and donts of hypertech

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. When I bought my HPP3 1-1/2 years ago, I didn't know about forums like this. I didn't know anything else existed. All I had for a source was magazines and a Summit catalog.

I'd also like to point out, that for the $120 I spent on ebay for my HPP3, it did make a very noticeable difference in my Z's performance. Not huge, but very noticeable, I didn't make any shift point or firmness adjustments the first time either. After the shift point and firmness adjustments, I loved it. So for that kind of money, it was worth it. Thank god for LS1TECH and forums like this, I now know there are many more options and am researching my next programmer. So if you don't have $400-$500 for one of the top programmers or a tune, and your car is stock or just a few bolt ons, I'd still recommend the Hpp3 for under $150 used until you can upgrade.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mk3cn4
Can you post the results if you do this? Thx....
FYI.....I retuned for RFG fuel with the hpp3 this past weekend. Did seem to smooth things out a touch. I'll try it with no tune this weekend if I get a chance.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I'll post a new thread when I finalize my results, but I have been doing some testing at the track with the HPP3 and a nearly bone-stock 1998 Z28 (lid and LCA's) totalling now I think 12 runs. I am now sampling the stock tune, but so far the stock tune with no other changes is at least .1 maybe .2 slower than the HPP3.

When I get the final results (I've been LS1M'ing the runs and trying to compensate for temps and things like that) I will post my evidence. I bet it's going to turn out that the HPP3 does help.

(Once concern I have that I didn't consider is that I chose their tune WITH their fan temp adjustments. I realize now that I shouldn't have done that, but I bet that's tainting the results a bit at least, since the temps have been so hot.)