PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

dos and donts of hypertech

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005 | 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Default dos and donts of hypertech

hey guys im new to this site, it seems really helpfull so far though, my question is what do u guys that have tried hypertech power programmmer 3 recommend and not recommend i do with it for my car, its a 99 trans am all stock except muffler, its also an automatic, im lookin forward to ur help
Old 08-02-2005 | 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

The HPP3 works better with the automatics than the manuals. It isn't a bad deal, if you can get one for cheap. If you are going to buy it new, I would look at a full programmer like HP Tuners. Even with the HPP3, you can adjust the shift points and shift firmness. Don't use the power tuning since it leans the car out too much. It also can lower the fan temps if you decide to use a lower thermostat. Even with the stock thermostat, I used the 180* setting in the HPP3. Another option is the Diablo Predator. It is much better than the HPP3 and you can tune more things. This does not require a laptop, unlike HP Tuners.
Old 08-02-2005 | 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Talking

FlashScan is what you need IMO if you are going to be doing more mods and want to learn the tuning youself.

Bill
Old 08-02-2005 | 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been running the HPP3 with the power tuning for 1-1/2 years. I've had no problems. Lots of ppl on here think the Hpp3 power tuning is crap and like a couple of posts before this say its to lean. I have yet to see any facts on how ppl know this. Not trying to ruffle any feathers but if somebody has some hard facts I'd love to see as I'm sure everyone else would too.

I'm not saying the HPP3 is the best one out there, I'm looking into upgrading myself. However, I have been very happy with the tuning and all the adjustments that you can make. I'd recommend getting it off of ebay, however, you may be better off going to the predator or hp tuners. If you do go Hpp3, I'd definetely recommend getting a 160 degree thermostat for sure. Do a lot of research first too.
Old 08-02-2005 | 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the power tuning and my car was having KR issues in the summer on 93 pump gas. This was verfied with EFILiveV5. Once it was removed, no more KR. Not all cars are the same but, mine did not like the power tuning. The part throttle was not bad, it was at WOT and I could hear the "pennies in the can" sound as well.
Old 08-02-2005 | 11:09 PM
FormerVendor

ive got some timing tables from the HPP3 and some of you would pass out if you saw em
Old 08-03-2005 | 02:31 AM
On The Tree

Dont buy it
Old 08-03-2005 | 01:04 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

From: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I used one for shift points, fans, shift firmness. The tuning gave me too much knock retard.
Old 08-03-2005 | 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Orange Terror
I've been running the HPP3 with the power tuning for 1-1/2 years. I've had no problems. Lots of ppl on here think the Hpp3 power tuning is crap and like a couple of posts before this say its to lean. I have yet to see any facts on how ppl know this. Not trying to ruffle any feathers but if somebody has some hard facts I'd love to see as I'm sure everyone else would too.

I'm w/HumpinSS ... When I first got my first full tuning software (this is back in 2001 when I got LS1 Edit) ... I had an HPP3... never had any luck w/the power tune... used it to change shift points and rev limiter... before I sold it, I flashed the PCM w/the HPP3 tune and read it... then compared to stock... it's not really much of a tune... Lean the car out... copy high octane tables to low octane (so no way to combat knock from bad gas or high temps) ... and then Lean the car out... some cars like it some don't... but it's just a canned "tune" that is pretty poor IMHO (oh and they smooth the timing curve ... which I'm not quite sure what the proper way w/this is... at peak torque aka highest cylinder pressures, the stock timing curve dips a few degrees... probably a safety feature and I usually leave this dip in, as do other professional tuners I've seen.. but hte HPP3 flattens it)

I've seen HPP3 tunes for later years and they were the same....

I think the main problem comes from people who buy the HPP3 as a first mod generally also buy aftermarket MAFs... the aftermarket MAFs lean the car out also generally... so the two together is too much... stock the cars do run pig rich generally, but when you lean it as much as the HPP3 and MAF combos do... plus the fact you no longer have a low octane timing table ... it can cause pinging and a drop in performance ... realistically any "canned" tune can cause these symptoms... if you don't have scans to see how the car reacts to the changes... it's hit or miss

Now as for the dos and don'ts ... biggest thing I can stress is do not bump your rev limiter up too much if you're stock valve springs... when I first got the HPP3 I knew nothing about cars... I figured "ooo I can shift higher... that must be good" so I bumped it up to the max... my valvetrain didn't like that much and after a year my valve springs showed valve float on the dyno

If you're looking for just a handheld then I would look into the Predator or Crane/Vinci handheld tuners first... if you're looking for a full tuning sweet w/scanner and all I'd look into HP Tuners or EFI Live.

Last edited by horist; 08-03-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2005 | 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

I compared the file and found only 3-4 things were changed.

HO-mucho timing added some spots show an additiion of 5-7*
LO
pe vs RPM leaned out from 11.75 to 12.6 which is prolly a lot leaner than its supposed to be, coupled with all the timing and you will definately get some KR and lots of it
Old 08-03-2005 | 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would avoid spending $300 on on a device that may offer you nothing.

I charge half that if not less for complete street tuning with wideband.

Last edited by SmokingWS6; 08-03-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2005 | 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not do it. I have one that I installed on my TA I lost 2hp to the wheels while using it. I put it on my wife's Z28 to adjust the rpm shifts and firmness. I plugged in today to get the programing off and It gave me an error. I called hypertech and they said basically that I'm screwed because I bougth it second hand and that I just have to go to a dealer and pay them to put the computer to stock, and throw out the unit. I'm so pissed, DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE of XXXX!
Old 08-03-2005 | 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wish I'd of known all this 2 years ago, lol. Somehow I need to get $400 out of my Hpp3 to buy a Crane, lol.

Seriously though, I think mine runs ok because I don't have an aftermarket MAF based on what you guys are saying, maybe I'll detune it and see if there's a difference this weekend.

Old 08-03-2005 | 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

I sold mine on Ebay for $125 a couple of years ago. Good luck getting $400.

Bill
Old 08-04-2005 | 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
I sold mine on Ebay for $125 a couple of years ago. Good luck getting $400.

Bill
I only paid $110 on ebay for mine a couple years ago. I thought the "lol" conveyed the sarcasm of getting $400 used for a $325 new item. Next time I'll try this
Old 08-04-2005 | 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orange Terror
...maybe I'll detune it and see if there's a difference this weekend.

Can you post the results if you do this? Thx....
Old 08-04-2005 | 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mk3cn4
Can you post the results if you do this? Thx....
Sure, but its going to be SOTP results.
Old 08-04-2005 | 09:24 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

From: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

What some folks forget is, before Hypertech, there was basically zero. It is real handy to change shift points, adjust for tire size, rear gear changes, fan turn on times.
Compared to modern programmers, it is nothing. But in it's day it's about all we had. Why they never made anything more of it is beyond me, and I can't honestly understand how they can stay in business with the pitiful few options they provide? I bought one, though, and it served me well at the time. I think I'll keep it just for ***** and grins.
Old 08-04-2005 | 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gwj
Why they never made anything more of it is beyond me, and I can't honestly understand how they can stay in business with the pitiful few options they provide? I bought one, though, and it served me well at the time. I think I'll keep it just for ***** and grins.
Simple.. magazines heh... lots of advertising... unfortuanetly not everyone knows about forums like this where they can search and see feedback and what options are available to them... In its day it was definetly a great tool though... Only real way to change shift points, rev limiter, etc... Now it's a collectors item
Old 08-04-2005 | 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

I have track tested the HPP3 power tune for a couple of years. With my mods, the tuning would always give me a 0.1 sec & 1 mph improvement. The only negative trade-off with the power tune was my gas mileage would drop during normal driving. I figured I was getting knock retard but it never showed when I did scans.

The most odd thing with the power tune is it made my gas mileage improve after I installed my "premie" cam. I still ran better at the track with the power tune with the cam. So I left the tune in all the time.

I have since installed a TCI 3500 stall and got the Crane tuner to compliment it. The Crane made all of the necessary adjustments to make the high stall drive the way I want it.

Anyway back to the HPP3... the HPP3 also gave me another tenth improvement via the shift point & rev limiter adjustments. So, a total of 0.2sec & 2 mph improvements from it. I originally bought it for the shift firmness adjustments. As said above, it was the only show in town for awhile.