Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with STFT tuning???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixit
Did you disconnect the MAF? If so, cannot do that on C5s. That part of the tuning document is wrong. The C5s MAF has the air intake temp sensor built into it.

Best way to put into SD mode, is by Changing the Fail Freq to 0, and then put it back to the orginal value when you done with SD mode.

Dixit

I did what you said, I tried it again. It happened again, brought the rpms up a little and there it is reduced engine power and car runs like ****. I think I might forget about STFT tuning. I am at a loss, I have no idea what do to.

Any ideas???

Here are the codes:

P1514 - Airflow to TP Sensor Correlation High

P0103- Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Circuit High Frequency
Old 08-07-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Ahh the P1514 code. This is because you are blown correct? Cause that tape is the sanity check on the Drive by Wire throttle body. I got that too, mainly cause I have a CAM, heads, and rest of the bolt on and when the TB sees too much air, the PCM looks at that table and if its more than that, it assumes the DBW has failed and goes into reduced power mode.

Go to the P1514 table and increase it by 25% across the board. And then try it again, that may solve it. Some of the s/c'ed vettes actually double that table. I increased mine 25% and it was fine, never went into reduced power mode again.

Dont give up, you almost there. This is the end of your problems and then onto tuning.

Dixit
Old 08-07-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

BTW the P0103 code is fine, thats cause you zero'ed out the MAF fail, so thats fine. Nothing to be concerned about there.

Dixit
Old 08-07-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ahh the P1514 code. This is because you are blown correct? Cause that tape is the sanity check on the Drive by Wire throttle body. I got that too, mainly cause I have a CAM, heads, and rest of the bolt on and when the TB sees too much air, the PCM looks at that table and if its more than that, it assumes the DBW has failed and goes into reduced power mode.

Go to the P1514 table and increase it by 25% across the board. And then try it again, that may solve it. Some of the s/c'ed vettes actually double that table. I increased mine 25% and it was fine, never went into reduced power mode again.

Dont give up, you almost there. This is the end of your problems and then onto tuning.

Dixit
Actually, I am not blown. I used to have a 2000 Z-28 with a Vortech. So, I just kept the same user name.

Where is the P1514 table?

I wish I had a Blower on my Vette...that would be a wet dream.

Thanks for the help!
Jason
Old 08-08-2005, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

VCM Editor -> Edit -> Engine Diagnostics -> General
There in that tab at the bottom is a P1514 button.

Increase that table by 25% by multiplying all values by 1.25. That should clear your issue and let you run in SD mode.

Believe me you are almost there. I had all the same problems.

Dixit
Old 08-08-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

VCM Editor -> Edit -> Engine Diagnostics -> General
There in that tab at the bottom is a P1514 button.

Increase that table by 25% by multiplying all values by 1.25. That should clear your issue and let you run in SD mode.

Believe me you are almost there. I had all the same problems.

Dixit

Thanks alot for your help! I will check it out when I get home from work.

I also posted on the corvetteforum about my problem. One guy said not to tun STFT, just tune for LTFT. When I multiply by 25%, do I mess with the MAF Fail Freq? Or leave it at 0?

You can check it out if you like...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...80&forum_id=91

I hope this works...thanks Again!

Jason
Old 08-08-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Well honestly tuning via STFTs is more quicker then waiting for the LTFTs to come in line and well learned. If you disable LTFTs, then its really easy to tune the VE table because your your histrogram for STFTs in your scan can be taken from say a simple 20-30 drive home or drive to work and then adjust the VE table. Within about 2-3 drives you will be spot on. Then you can enable LTFTs and dont have to worry about tuning that cause STFTs is what sets the LTFT anyways.

LTFTs take normally 100miles to fully learn and even then its not fully learned because if you didnt hit that cell once and hit it at say at mile 101 and only hit it for a split second, the LTFT on that cell is not learned. Because if you look at that same cell on the STFT and its not +/- 3, then its not learned completely. If your STFT cell showed 5 or even 10, then its still learning to adjust the LTFT. Thats why tuning via STFTs with the LTFTs disabled is quicker and in my opinion more accurate. Once you turn the LTFTs back on, it will be within -5 and +5. Then just calibrate the maf to keep it in that range.

Multiple the entire 1514 table by 1.25. Dont mess with the MAF Fail freq. Leave that at 0 so you can do your SD tuning. Once you are tune completely with tuning then move that MAF fail freq number back in that (just put your original number since thats whats been working for you) and enjoy your new driving experience.

Dixit
Old 08-08-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have to reset the fuel trims when tuning STFT's?? Also does the P1514 code only apply to you vette guys?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Yes te P1514 is a TPS sanity check because the vette's have drive by wire TBs not mechanically driven.

You should reset your fuel trims each time you flash the VCM with changes to the VE table so you can recheck the Fuel Trims to check how close you are.

Dixit
Old 08-08-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes te P1514 is a TPS sanity check because the vette's have drive by wire TBs not mechanically driven.

You should reset your fuel trims each time you flash the VCM with changes to the VE table so you can recheck the Fuel Trims to check how close you are.

Dixit
and I assuming with that you have to do the hr/100 mile drive deal everytime?!?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not if your tuning by STFT's; a 20-30 minute drive should do it, just 'pulse' the gas in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th up to near 5500 ( if your going full SD, if not only go to 4K ) to get the cells to fill in and hit them often.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

did u install the new cam yet Jason?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
did u install the new cam yet Jason?
Not yet...I plan on changing it whenever you are ready.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

umm...i know the sooner the better, but do you have a time frame your lookin at getting it done in? im going to be in and out alot these next 2 months with the ship, not to mention helping Ed with the engine install, retuning my car, installing a few suspension pieces and exhaust on my friends 05 stang and getting over to Robs to help with his head/cam and clutch install. Shoot me a pm and let me know. Ill let you know if I can make it. When did you get tuners?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

There is a "MAF High Frequency Fail Limit" value - number of failures before the MAF Fail DTC P103 is set. Set this to "1". This is in EFILive FlashScan {C2903}.......not sure with HP Tuners?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well honestly tuning via STFTs is more quicker then waiting for the LTFTs to come in line and well learned. If you disable LTFTs, then its really easy to tune the VE table because your your histrogram for STFTs in your scan can be taken from say a simple 20-30 drive home or drive to work and then adjust the VE table. Within about 2-3 drives you will be spot on. Then you can enable LTFTs and dont have to worry about tuning that cause STFTs is what sets the LTFT anyways.

LTFTs take normally 100miles to fully learn and even then its not fully learned because if you didnt hit that cell once and hit it at say at mile 101 and only hit it for a split second, the LTFT on that cell is not learned. Because if you look at that same cell on the STFT and its not +/- 3, then its not learned completely. If your STFT cell showed 5 or even 10, then its still learning to adjust the LTFT. Thats why tuning via STFTs with the LTFTs disabled is quicker and in my opinion more accurate. Once you turn the LTFTs back on, it will be within -5 and +5. Then just calibrate the maf to keep it in that range.

Multiple the entire 1514 table by 1.25. Dont mess with the MAF Fail freq. Leave that at 0 so you can do your SD tuning. Once you are tune completely with tuning then move that MAF fail freq number back in that (just put your original number since thats whats been working for you) and enjoy your new driving experience.

Dixit

Tried it today...it worked GREAT! Thanks for the advice!

When you say reset the fuel trims...how do I do that? I have not been going that whenever I reflash the pcm.I hope I don't have to start all over again?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

After you flash the PCM, you should reset the Fuel trim everytime you make a change to the VE table. To do that, when you flash, then start the VCM Scanner. From there open the VCM Controls and in the Fuel tab there is a ResetFuel Trims. You have to connect by pressing the connect button first before that button is active.

Well shouldnt be too bad in that you did reset, just do it now and log again and see where you are at.

Dixit
Old 08-09-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Actually just thought about something, technically you dont have to reset them since you are looking at STFTs which are technically not learned and stored, I believe they reset each time you start the car.

But dont hurt to reset it anyways.

Dixit
Old 08-10-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did another log today with the STFT...the numbers are suppose to go to 0, right? they are no where zero. Any ideas?

Thanks!

The log I took yesterday. There were quite a few 0 and 1. A few 3 and 4 postiive and negative, but nothing way out of wack.

This is what I took today.

Last edited by Blown Interceptor; 08-10-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Send me the BIN and HPL file to dsuthar@adelphia.net so I can take a look at what your doing wrong.

Dixit

Quick Reply: Problems with STFT tuning???