PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPT question about Desired IAC steps vs. Desired idle effective Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 10:29 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah ther IAC and desired IAC are usually right on top of each other......unless the IAC motor is bad. It does not mean your air flow is correct, like most would think
Old 08-09-2005, 11:21 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have gone left right up and down with this table and still the same. I finally 0'd it out.
Phil
Old 08-09-2005, 11:31 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Phil- I thought you came up with the .48 method that had worked quite well on the fly by wire cars. Did something change?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:52 PM
7 Second Club

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

This table is nice for modified TBs or larger TBs than stock. But with a stock TB it doesn't help much if anything from what I have seen.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

NicD, with a cam it's pretty much a given that the throttlebody will be drilled out or cracked with the set screw, which makes this table a big help for cammed cars.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:51 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by P Mack
NicD, with a cam it's pretty much a given that the throttlebody will be drilled out or cracked with the set screw, which makes this table a big help for cammed cars.
I have manipulated that table every which way and never had great results with cammed cars and stock TBs. Definately nothing that made me stop and say, holy **** this is what I have needed!
Old 08-10-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

It's one of about ten steps that should be done, it's not like the one table that will solve all your problems.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:14 PM
7 Second Club

It's one of about ten steps that should be done, it's not like the one table that will solve all your problems.
I give up, you win. Was just trying to share some experience that I have never had a problem getting a stock TB car to idle and drive properly running that stock table.

Last edited by NicD; 08-10-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:41 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I found out that the table doesnt mean crap.
Phil
Old 08-10-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

NicD, i'm not trying to argue with you. It may be that your table doesn't need to be changed, or its off as much as your idle air tables in the opposite direction so it still doesn't need changed.

Phil, are you talking about cars with etc?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:16 PM
7 Second Club

NicD, i'm not trying to argue with you. It may be that your table doesn't need to be changed, or its off as much as your idle air tables in the opposite direction so it still doesn't need changed.
Well the most radical camshaft/ci I have tuned has been a G5X4/346ci with all the rest of the goodies so maybe I just haven't had one big enough yet to require changes to that table. The idle air tables were fine, I have been doing this stuff for a while and I kinda know what is going on.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Just curious, do you adjust the idle airflow tables to get the idle trims to zero, or to match the dynamic airflow? I'm not giving you ****, i'm just curious about your method.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:51 PM
7 Second Club

Just curious, do you adjust the idle airflow tables to get the idle trims to zero, or to match the dynamic airflow? I'm not giving you ****, i'm just curious about your method.
Usually they end up pretty close to each other, I use which ever the car likes.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you want to get the idle trims to zero. AFAIK, that is what tells if the dynamic airflow is too high or too low.

pro mouse, you can shift cells but IMHO, i wouldnt evne do that any more. i started out shifting and what not and ended up redoing the whole table. the results of a new table are so much better. the desired idle airflow and actual (dynamic) airflow match perfectly. these lines should overlap, through all iac positions.

http://www.allmod.net/hpt/idletune.doc if you scroll down on there you can see how off the airflows were, the car did idle and would not stall but it wasnt perfect. then i got the lines to overlap and i cant begin to explain how much better that helped not only idle but the recovery of idle when reving or stopping.

also, where your table is all zeroed out is the area of all the small openings and cracks in the TB/blade and any airflow that may flow over a fully closed iac valve. the computer goes through all the calculations and determines the area needed to flow the desired air, then it looks up the iac step to open up to allow that amount of air into the car by the mm^2 numbers in the table. if your desired airflow is lower than actual that means the iac step size is too large in that cell and is opening too far letting in too much air. and on the other hand if actual is lower than desired, the iac is not open enough so in the corresponding cell (for the iac step) you would need to increase the iac step number, and do this for the whole range from cold start

Last edited by WS6FirebirdTA00; 08-11-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
you want to get the idle trims to zero. AFAIK, that is what tells if the dynamic airflow is too high or too low.
I know how to do it. I'm just saying it should idle fine if the idle trims are 0, even if dynamic and desired don't match. It's not a big deal if your numbers don't match, but it's such an easy fix I don't see any reason not to do it.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

once you get dynamic and desired to match it will throw off your idle trims again. ive seen a huge difference in shifting the lines sometimes for overlap, depending how far off you are yuo can chnage desired a few g/sec, and if the trims were right, they would be off by at least that, which would make idle bad again. but you are right if they dont overlap you can mess with the idle trims and get the idle pretty good, but may still have some issues you wont if you just get it done right, takes a little longer but not much more. i read your first statement wrong, and i dont know if i even answered right this time haha
Old 08-11-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info WS6FirebirdTA00,I am going to check it out this weekend while it is cold.I am not sure where I am at with Dynamic Air flow.I will have to see where this is...
Scott
Old 08-11-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you need any help email me the log file and tune, budchevy358@yahoo.com

log:
dynamic airflow
LTIT
STIT
desired idle airflow
iac position
spark advance
rpm
intake air temp
coolant temp

i could get you started in the right direction and point out somet hings for you. ive done 80 cam tunes on my car, just about every day since the end of may, cold start. so ive got a bunch of little things here and there that can help the idle out so much more
Old 08-11-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok Thanks WS6FirebirdTA00.I will get you my bin in a few days ,My scheduel really sucks this weekend Thanks for the help
Old 10-05-2005, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, for a stock TB, but heads/cam car, if your IAC values are 80 at idle with A/C off warmed up, what do you need to do to this table to lower the IAC values?

Quick Reply: HPT question about Desired IAC steps vs. Desired idle effective Area