Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

look at my ve table i think its jacked up

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default look at my ve table i think its jacked up

ive been using the strim method with out the maf and with pe disabled and it seems the more and more i log and edit the ve te worse it gets, i have a 98 and ive been updating both the primary and secondary ve. only mods are flps no cats, loudmouth and lid.

table is at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/onebad98z@sbcglobal.net
or so i hope it is
let me know what you think

Greg

Last edited by OneBad98Z; 08-15-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

where's the table?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

i posted the link to the vetable picture sorry of the size of the file, i have been trying to use both the polnom smoothing and hand smoothing, but its just been throwing off the other cells
Old 08-16-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't see anything out of the ordinary with the VE table. Are you sure the o2's are functioning properly?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree with smoking - the table doesn't look bad. If you get a chance, will you post the 3d surface map along with the current screen shot?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

i uploaded a 3d view name is ve3dview i just thought the changes seem pretty drastic from stock with only a lid and headers. im pretty sure the o2's are good seem to be switch evenly and quickly.

Greg
Old 08-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Restricted User

The values do not incriment like 67, 69 , 71... They are 69, 66, 72. I would try and get them inline. How does it run?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
where's the table?
Looks awefully choppy to me. But then again, the PCM interpolates (takes into consideration the values in the surrounding cells). I'd smooth it out a little.

(Yes, that's Excel and yes I'm bored off my *** at work)
Attached Thumbnails look at my ve table i think its jacked up-untitled.jpg  
Old 08-16-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Your VE table looks like a work in progress. As you collect more data, it will start to smooth itself out. to help get you going, you could use the smoothing functions.

Few pointers that may help you out (you may allready be doing these):

1) while you are logging, avoid sudden changes to the TPS. you want to make the transitions from one cell to the next as smooth as possible. sudden changes will give you erroneous data because the PCM is "catching up"

2) for each cell, try and hold the rpm/map position for as long as possible. the more data you have, the more accurate your averages will be.

3) do not apply average values with low cell counts (ie any thing less than 50 or so counts should not be applied)

4) collect 3 or 4 logs worth of data before applying your changes. despite the fact you are using STFT's, the PCM still takes a little while to adjust after a flash.

5) be patient. you will love the results after you get it dialed in.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

i personally too thought that the ve table should be in a numerical order when you say do not apply average values with low cell counts which cell counts are you talking about?

as far as how the car runs, it really seems to run decent with before and after any of the changes ive made, seems a little more punchy now though.

in all of the things ive read, from what i understand the trims need to be negative before pe hits or the computer adds excess fuel, i guess what im wondering which cell effect this does every single cell have to be negative or just the 4000rpm ones just before it hits pe?

also when i finally get the trims a straight i can turn the maf back on and just scale the maf table accordingly?

also when you say smooth the table are you guys just adjusting surronding cells to compensate or using polynom.

sorry about all the questions, i just am finding hptuners as one of the funest mods to the car yet

Greg
Old 08-16-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Low cell counts - efilive terminology

What it means is for a given cell, say 800 rpm / 50 kPa, if the number of samples taken is less than 50, then that cell would be considered to have a low cell count.

When i do my logging, I monitor the cell count to determin how much data I have collected. when I get 50 or more counts, I move to the next cell.

Making the investment to tune your own car is one of the best mods you can do! If you want to ice your cake, pick up a WB - makes tuning even easier.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneBad98Z
ive been using the strim method with out the maf and with pe disabled and it seems the more and more i log and edit the ve te worse it gets, i have a 98 and ive been updating both the primary and secondary ve. only mods are flps no cats, loudmouth and lid.

table is at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/onebad98z@sbcglobal.net
or so i hope it is

Greg
Just a note: with stock internals I don't see why change the VE table. Honestly.
OK the 98 stoch VE table is a little strange: you can use that one of the 2000 Fbody. I checked it and it's almost perfect.
I had to reduce some decel values because it was too rich, but other than that I would leave it alone.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any ls1 with headers will need the VE table worked on. I wouldn't copy and paste a 2000 table, you need to fine tune your own.

Also that 3D graph looks strange, everything looks like its peaked out. Could just be the way the graph is displayed.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

umm something stange happened tonight, how much would a DA difference of 2400 to 1400 have on the fuel trims, i logged earlier today and everything looked great, and logged again this evening in the cool air with a lower da and the trims are almost all in the +5/+10 range some as high as 13, is this common with a change in density altitude?

i realize that modding the ve table on a stock internal motor might not be neccessary but after buying the hptuners im hooked and just cant handle trying to mod everything neccessary

Greg
Old 08-17-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneBad98Z
umm something stange happened tonight, how much would a DA difference of 2400 to 1400 have on the fuel trims, i logged earlier today and everything looked great, and logged again this evening in the cool air with a lower da and the trims are almost all in the +5/+10 range some as high as 13, is this common with a change in density altitude?

i realize that modding the ve table on a stock internal motor might not be neccessary but after buying the hptuners im hooked and just cant handle trying to mod everything neccessary

Greg
I don't know if it's typical for the 98 PCM but I also noticed differences from a day to another. Pressure and temperature will make a difference. Also you should warm up the engine pretty well before starting logging: to be constant I had to warm it up (20 - 30 min), turn it off, then on again and then I was able to log decent data.
I did the VE stuff with stock manifolds, then with headers, then with the blower and I've never seen big differences, that's why I wrote to don't worry too much.
But I also had to try every table just to see what happens!
Old 08-17-2005, 02:17 AM
TECH Junkie

something Ive found is to use the st's as only 1/2 a percentage instead of a full percent under special past the st's jump around alot. Also you need to make sure to get a good average in each cell with data if you hold it in that cell and the number keeps changing that you know you dont have a good average and thats important with st's
here is a guide I made might help you out

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=346549