Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max power out of stock motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max power out of stock motor

I want to tune my car to get the most power out of it. I was thinking of taking it to a place just to have it dyno tuned. I'm willing to bet i can probably just spend the money on HP Tuners and do the tuning myself (even though it will take a lot longer)....

Was just wondering how much power you guys think i can get tuned out of essentially stock car, on the dyno or with HP Tuners.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on efi boards, i just saw ~45hp/tq increases for a completely stock 05 cts-v. stock fbodies are horribly detuned, 11.7afr, very low timing for 01-02 cars, stuff like that. i'd guess 30hp easy, probably more with free mods. in majority of cases dyno tuning means WOT optimization, usually by sacrificing drivability. if you do it yourself, you can have it all, idle, partial throttle, wot, transmissions settings, codes, fuel economy, etc...
get tuning, above all, it's fun!
Old 08-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
on efi boards, i just saw ~45hp/tq increases for a completely stock 05 cts-v. stock fbodies are horribly detuned, 11.7afr, very low timing for 01-02 cars, stuff like that. i'd guess 30hp easy, probably more with free mods. in majority of cases dyno tuning means WOT optimization, usually by sacrificing drivability. if you do it yourself, you can have it all, idle, partial throttle, wot, transmissions settings, codes, fuel economy, etc...
get tuning, above all, it's fun!
These were more or less my thoughts... Thank you for awnsering my question

2more questions though...

If i was to install a wideband on the car... would i be able to tune the A/F ratio to exactly what i want it at?

Are the gains worth spending the money for a wideband?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

yes - a wb is a very valuable tool and a worth while investment.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, very much so. you can achieve pretty good results with a narrowband only, for example i spent 2.5hrs on a dyno and found only 7hp extra over what i had figured out with narrowbands on the street. it is way easier and quicker to just be able to tell where you are exactly at any point.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:38 AM
FormerVendor

A Wideband cuts tuning time since you dont have to wait for the car to learn after the trims are reset. In the world of rising gas prices I willpay for the WB get it dialed in and call it a day. You will need it for WOT anyways.....
Old 08-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My recommendation: get a wideband. Holy crap it'll make your life SOOOOO much easier. Tuning on the street (in the exact conditions you drive it in) is the ONLY way to tune IMO. HPTuners and my LC-1 were BY FAR the best investments I've made for my car. I have this thing tuned really well right now, and it is running better than it ever has. Very responsive, runs exactly like I tell it to.