Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

concerns when tuning ATI

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default concerns when tuning ATI

Hey guys, I was just wondering what the main concerns of tuning a basically stock 2001 ls1 with an ati #8. I know that the wot AFR should be 12:1 and I believe that the timing should be around 18*. What about part throttle driving. Will this be affected much by the procharger?Thanks.jeremy
Old 08-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything will be affected with a blower...you need to cover all bases with this one.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Can you be a little more specific please. I have searched but haven't found much on F.I. tuning.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

And you won't find much...most of the people on this board (including me) only deal with N/A tuning, and that has come a LONG way over the past year or so.

I can't really give you specific information about this stuff since I don't have any hands on experience. If it was me, I'd approach it kinda like it was a N/A setup, only with more caution. Knock your timing down as you stated, and make sure you are getting readings from a properly calibrated WB02 sensor. It really needs to be hooked in to the tuning interface (like can be done with HPT or EFI) so you can have instant feedback. Tune to a safe A/F ratio, and go from there.

You just have to consider a couple of things:

1. A blower is going to affect your engine's volumetric efficiency. Therefore, you will need to do a good amount of VE tuning.

2. A blower is going to increase the manifold air pressure. If you run enough boost, you will get MAP readings that are above and beyond 105 kPa, which is the limit of the stock operating system. You can run a custom operating system that expands the VE table to cover the higher MAP readings, but you will be in speed density only and you will also need a new manifold air pressure sensor (2 bar at least).

3. Run enough boost and you'll max out your MAF anyways, still forcing you to go SD only.

This is no trivial task...and I'm sure that I haven't covered all of the bases with my limited knowledge base.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

At #8 pounds on a stck engine shouldn't max out the MAF should it? What about the map readings? Any more thoughts?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

That's what I don't know...I know there are people (Exotic Performance Plus comes to mind) that have no problems tuning a stock motor within the original operating system limits. I'm not sure what they do though to the PCM to achieve their results...I'd need to look at a .bin from someone that had their car tuned to tell you how they achieved this. There are a few different ways to skin this cat, as the PCM has many "checks and balances" that can be altered and achieve the same results using different tuning methods.

Anyone want to cough up an ATI 8# blower tune in .bin format?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Anybody?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

anybody??
Old 11-08-2005, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
1. A blower is going to affect your engine's volumetric efficiency. Therefore, you will need to do a good amount of VE tuning.
I think once I learn VE I wil try it. But for now my tune is working good without touching VE. :dunno: