Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flashing SES light

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation flashing SES light

i'm on my way home from work tonight when this happened. i'm in 6th gear and pushing the gas trying to accelerate. the car felt boggy and would speed up . so i drop it to 5th and it does the same thing. it has a hard time accelerating. starting from a stop it felt really sluggish. i was accelerating like normal too. it wouldn't feel normal until about 2700 rpm. it did that in 1st and 2nd gear. it would be sluggish then go like something kicked it in the ***. about half way home the light stopped flashing and everyting felt normal again. anyone know what would cause the car to act like that?? this is the first time it's done that.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually when the ses flashes like that it means there is a catalyst damaging misfire going on or something else that can damage the converters. I am currently working on my buddies truck at my work. His had similar characteristics, but his would run fine at times and still flash the ses.(couldn't really feel a misfire) It would also drive llike you are describing and then begin to noticebly miss. He ended up having rust particles in three of the injector's inlet screens, from rust formation in the fuel lines. Basically, when your light flashes like that it means it is no good on the converters.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:14 AM
TECH Junkie

go to autozone and have them scan the codes for you. when you get the codes you can search the OBD2 code sticky ^^^
Old 08-25-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

you lucky you got home, most times when you see a flashing ses light your motor is about to be shut off by the pCM.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The only time I've had flashing SES lights was due to broken valvesprings.