PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats cheapest way to data log A/F and Spark while running car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats cheapest way to data log A/F and Spark while running car?

Was just wondering if there was any free programs out there on the net, and cables to hook up btw the diagnostic port and laptop to data log the af ratio btw regular cruise and WOT, along with spark....

Any ideas? Or is the only option the LC-1 or LM-1?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LC-1/LM-1 are wideband O2 sensors... you need extra items to log the spark and RPM and such .. the LC1/LM1 units don't use the OBDII DLC that's in side the car... you install a wideband O2 sensor , hook it up to the LC1/LM1 and log AFR w/the laptop... but logging just AFR is pretty useless if you can't equate an RPM with it (or for part throttle tuning if you can't equate an RPM, and Load (MAP) then it doesn't help much)

I believe the LC-1 is going to be the cheapest one out there...

As far as logging/diagnostic software... I'm not aware of any good free setups... theere's one by ProScan that is pretty good and inexpensive... but you won't be able to log KR and you won't be able to integrate your Wideband w/the scanner

The only tuning packages that I'm aware of for logging the car and logging the O2 sensor at the same time (for OEM PCM) are HP Tuners (www.hptuners.com) with EIO, or EFI Live (www.efilive.com) flashscan.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
LC-1/LM-1 are wideband O2 sensors... you need extra items to log the spark and RPM and such .. the LC1/LM1 units don't use the OBDII DLC that's in side the car... you install a wideband O2 sensor , hook it up to the LC1/LM1 and log AFR w/the laptop... but logging just AFR is pretty useless if you can't equate an RPM with it (or for part throttle tuning if you can't equate an RPM, and Load (MAP) then it doesn't help much)

I believe the LC-1 is going to be the cheapest one out there...

As far as logging/diagnostic software... I'm not aware of any good free setups... theere's one by ProScan that is pretty good and inexpensive... but you won't be able to log KR and you won't be able to integrate your Wideband w/the scanner

The only tuning packages that I'm aware of for logging the car and logging the O2 sensor at the same time (for OEM PCM) are HP Tuners (www.hptuners.com) with EIO, or EFI Live (www.efilive.com) flashscan.
You mentioned I can use the LC-1 to log AFR and Spark vs rpm on a laptop? Is this possible, or do you need the hpt or efilive, etc for this?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
You mentioned I can use the LC-1 to log AFR and Spark vs rpm on a laptop? Is this possible, or do you need the hpt or efilive, etc for this?

for the LC-1 you have to have EFI Live or HP Tuners (if you want to log anything but AFR I believe). for the LM-1 , Innovate makes external boxes to log external sensors... you have to splice the wireson your PCM though for it to work... spark advance I'm not sure how it'd work but it's possible I think.

However you are still limited to whatever sensors you hook up... whereas w/a tuning cable w/built in inputs you can log everything the PCM sees plus external sensors such as the LC1/LM1