PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a rumbling clutch cause false knock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can a rumbling clutch cause false knock?

The thrust bearing is going in the cluth, does make a few odd noises, mostly a whinning noise, cluch being changed on Saturday. I have been trying to tune the car with HP tuners, think i got the VE table all right, now looking into timing, the car does have knock retard and not only at full throttle, sometimes it dont occur at all.

Say at full throttle in second gear, got about 28 degrees of timing, at about 3700 rpm get 0.7 degress of knock, timing goes down to 22.5 degrees, now in third gear, about 24 degrees of timing, and knock dont happen till 5000rpm, only does down to 23 degrees with 1.4 degrees of knock. No knock in 1st or forth.

Later on in the scan, 25mph @ 2188rpm, must have been in second, 30% throttle, 5.1 degres of knock, pull my timing advance to 17 degrees.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting flase knock, just wanted to run it passed a few people.

I was doing an SD tune at the time, havn't done a log with the MAF enabled.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Also does the VCM learn knock retard? like LTFT?

As in HP tuners Scanner if i look at the Advance table in the histrogram view these are different figures to whats in my high or low octane table (I made both tables the same)

Say if I look at cell 3200rpm, 0.48 it reads 31 degrees, but in my octane table its 33. Did it retard it by 2 degrees somehow? no knock was detected.

Dan.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a catch can? A lot of KR problems I have seen are caused by oil entering the intake via the PCV system.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be... my hurst shifter gives me false knock... hell it rattles so bad you can hear it... and it sounds just like engine knock till you grab hold the of shifter ****.... this is in a c5 by the way
Old 09-13-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Do you have a catch can? A lot of KR problems I have seen are caused by oil entering the intake via the PCV system.
I dont have a catch can as far as I know, the oil side of things are stock.

When i changed my stock intake to the LSX it did have a little bit of oil in it. Is that wrong? if so what would be the best way to sort that out?

Quick Reply: Can a rumbling clutch cause false knock?