PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acetone gas additive - tuning requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
I never used the stuff. However, several people posting on this board have used it for extended periods and claim significant improvements. I suppose this is eveidence.

See the "Fueling" section of this board for an extended post that documents user findings. I didn't make it up; these people appear ligit!

What abut the Tornado? This wind mill device on TV that is garbage; right? What is the electric supercharger?

I was replying to brains in the post above.

As for the tornado and the electric supercharger (a repackaged marine blower fan) yes, they are both worthless. I was trying to be humorous.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I call ethonal-laced gas "corn gas" since the farmers in Iowa are gettign rich on this scheme.
I would rather have the farmers in Iowa getting rich than the oil sheiks in the Middle East.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll have to find the thread again. A gentleman took a very scientific approach to it, over the course of a couple months. Long story short, his daily drive cycle is a VERY consistant long duration steady speed route. His documented gas mileage was repeatable to LESS than a TENTH of a mile per gallon His before and after fuel consumption was unchanged using acetone. He also pulled spark plugs at regular intervals (every 2000 miles I believe) for inspection.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, looks like acetone DOES do something in my car, however it only does it for about 5 or 10 minutes before returning to normal.

Check out this HPTuners log file of my car just after filling up (with 3 oz acetone)

http://www.web-srv.com/~tony/tuning/acetone.hpl

Load the file and press "play" youll see all the trims are around -12 and you can watch as they slowly level back out to ~0.

I believe this means that the acetone is reacting with something in the fuel, most likely the ethanol. Any chemistru geeks out there? What does acetone and ethanol make, ethyl acetate? What is it?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

OK, so I tried 4 oz of acetone in 3/4 tank of corn gas. The car ran great. Idle was much smoother.

The exhaust smelled different too. I think the engine runs cleaner with acetone.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

I always ran Acetone in my eclipse when I took it to the track as far as seeing better gas mileage I can't confirm or deny it. All I know was my car liked acetone when I tuned for it at the track.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll have to look on the label of the octane treatment goo to see if it contains acetone.... very interesting ingrediant!

So, is it true that gas mileage is greatly improved with acetone or just bunk? The evidence here seems to conflict with some saying yes and others saying no.

What do you beleive?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Launching!

to the top
Old 10-17-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I've been running acetone-laced corn gas for a few weeks now. My mileage has increased and the car runs better.

I suspect the real advantage of acetone is that it treats the fuel and allows the engine run like it is operating on very high octane fuel....

I don't begrudge the Iowa farmers who grow rich on laws that mandate corn gas. I only wish that the corn additive did not add to the cost of a gallon of gas. It seems a joke that corn is more valuable than crude..... when they mandated this in NY the price went up 15 cents per gallon.

Bottom line - we are getting ripped off by (1) the Arabs, (2) the oil companies, and now (3) the Iowa pig farmers!!!!

I'll have to move to Iowa and buy some pigs so I can get rich on all you guys that run Gen 3s.....
Old 10-17-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Well I've been running acetone-laced corn gas for a few weeks now. My mileage has increased and the car runs better.

I suspect the real advantage of acetone is that it treats the fuel and allows the engine run like it is operating on very high octane fuel....

I don't begrudge the Iowa farmers who grow rich on laws that mandate corn gas. I only wish that the corn additive did not add to the cost of a gallon of gas. It seems a joke that corn is more valuable than crude..... when they mandated this in NY the price went up 15 cents per gallon.

Bottom line - we are getting ripped off by (1) the Arabs, (2) the oil companies, and now (3) the Iowa pig farmers!!!!

I'll have to move to Iowa and buy some pigs so I can get rich on all you guys that run Gen 3s.....
If you can deal with the smell of a pig farm then damnit you deserve to make all that money off of us.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 10-17-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I gave up on the whole acetone thing noticing no discernable fuel savings. Although, I probably will run a few ounces from time to time just to keep the fuel system clean. Dont think ill do it every tank though.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:21 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm on my forth tank full of acetone laced corn gas. No issues so far and the car feels stronger than when it ran on straight corn gas.

Someone should do come dyno testing on this stuff!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:13 AM
TECH Resident

higher octane helps emissions and you get a clearer burn with acetone,acetone increases octane number
Old 11-09-2005, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

I believe acetone very mildly increases octane, especially in the small quantity thats being discussed here. You wont notice a difference going from 93 octane to 93.05 octane. Not to mention higher octane is actually less conbustable. He wouldnt see a power increase unless he was experiencing heavy knock retard on the straight gas which was eliminated by the extra octane.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

I thought that you got a better burn(decreasing the co2 and stuff for emissions) with higher octane number but higher octane(93) is less ignitable than (89) octane ofcourse,or is that just crap with emissions?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

It was reported in another post here that Acetone corn gas burns more completely than straight corn gas and that it results in less carbon build up on the valves, pistons and combustion chamber. I thought someone posted some before and after pictures on this and the impact was visable to a naked eyeball!

It was also reported that immediate benefits are not apperant and that you need to go through a few tank fulls of Acetone-laced corn gas before you get any results. I'm not sure from a scientific point of view why this would be true, however.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, my opinions:

A) Corn gas well give you less fuel economy, slightly, because of its nature it needs more fuel to run at stoich.

B) To run any other type of fuel or altered fuel you would need to adjust your PCM so it knows what AFR said fuel should be combusted at.

C) High Octane produces less power, the higher octane concentration versus hexane takes more energy to burn, thus more energy is spent igniting the mixture and less energy is available to push your piston down. Depending on your compression you may have to run higher octane to prevent detonation, but your engine will always make more power on the lower octane it can safely function at.

Just my thoughts. Who knows, but I'd probably play with nitromethane before acetone... would probably be more fun...
Old 11-16-2005, 03:23 AM
TECH Veteran

I always thought high octane fuel burned at a lower temperature but that it has more energy than the cheap stuff; this is what the octane rating is designed to measure; right?

This is why your car will go more miles on a tank of 93 octane than on a tank of 89; right?

In this environment of super high priced fuel, I beleive it is more economical to buy the highest octane fuel sold since the price per gallon difference between high test and cheap gas is relatively small compared to pre-super high priced gas periods. In other words, in percentage terms, high test is only slightly more expensive now than the cheap stuff.

When the oil companies decided to rip us all off to the max, they did not adjust their pricing to keep the spread between the cost of high and low test the same. Consequently, high test is cheaper relative to the "regular" grade. The way state and local fuel tax is imposed also contributes to this anomaly.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:18 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I always thought high octane fuel burned at a lower temperature but that it has more energy than the cheap stuff; this is what the octane rating is designed to measure; right?

This is why your car will go more miles on a tank of 93 octane than on a tank of 89; right?

In this environment of super high priced fuel, I beleive it is more economical to buy the highest octane fuel sold since the price per gallon difference between high test and cheap gas is relatively small compared to pre-super high priced gas periods. In other words, in percentage terms, high test is only slightly more expensive now than the cheap stuff.

When the oil companies decided to rip us all off to the max, they did not adjust their pricing to keep the spread between the cost of high and low test the same. Consequently, high test is cheaper relative to the "regular" grade. The way state and local fuel tax is imposed also contributes to this anomaly.
High octane fuel is roughly created by boiling off the more volatile and higher energy dense components. You are left with a fuel that is more resistant to self-ignition (the octane rating) and has slightly less energy in it.

Octane rating has nothing to do with energy content. Pure iso-octane has an octane rating of 100, diluting with iso-hexane lowered the "octane" rating. A mixture of hexane/octane is compared for knock quality a fuel whose octane rating you are trying to measure. A fuel that knocks the same as a mix of 13% hexane and 87% octane is given an "octane" rating of 87. These days the testing is quite different but that is how it started. Obviously this method cannot measure octane levels above 100.

If your car goes further on higher octane gas, the lower octane stuff is not burning as well for whatever reason. Keep in mind that the energy content fromlow to high octane gasolines only changes by a couple of percent.

Quick Reply: Acetone gas additive - tuning requirements?