Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPT 2.0 head start on MAF calibration thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HPT 2.0 head start on MAF calibration thread

I am looking for hints, clues, ideas, for building a good process to use the MAF calibration feature in 2.0...

The stuff I am looking for would be like:

1. DFCO.... disabled during MAF calibration logging (to get rid of false lean readings).

2. ?

3. ?

Any help from our testers would be appreciated...

Old 09-27-2005, 09:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get your ve table in line via SD tuning with a wideband...unplug your maf but dont touch the fail ses stuff...once you get your SD tune done just plug in the maf...you'll still be in open loop but the maf will work...you'd setup a custom histo for maf output frequency and plot the a/f error %...then make sur you log your maf in hz...log your a/f & commanded a/f ...within a couple of logs & adjustements of only your maf table you should be all set and ready to put it back into closed loop...if anyone thinks or knows of a better way Im all ears.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foff667
get your ve table in line via SD tuning with a wideband...unplug your maf but dont touch the fail ses stuff...once you get your SD tune done just plug in the maf...you'll still be in open loop but the maf will work...you'd setup a custom histo for maf output frequency and plot the a/f error %...then make sur you log your maf in hz...log your a/f & commanded a/f ...within a couple of logs & adjustements of only your maf table you should be all set and ready to put it back into closed loop...if anyone thinks or knows of a better way Im all ears.
That is not exactly what I am asking... I have already done the preliminary work, VE table, etc.

What I am looking for are steps in a process to insure an accurate MAF calibration, i.e. turning DFCO temporally to remove false lean readings...
Old 09-27-2005, 09:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

ok...put your car back into open loop

set your open loop table to 14.7:1 in all cells

set up your PE table exactly how you'd set it for the street

disable dfco

disable fuel trim learn

plug in maf

and follow steps as described above...is that what you were looking for?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it does...

Why the 14.7 in open loop???
Old 09-27-2005, 09:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

it will save on gas & setting your pe up will protect your engine from damage just as if you were to setup the open loop a/f to 13.0:1...really no difference in how you do it as you'll get the same result. Remember all your doing is setting up your ve when your in open loop SD...just cuts out a step...I made up a tuning doc I can send you outlining step by step how to tune SD for hptuners 2.0...i was just waiting till it came out to post it...that & im still gathering any info that anyone wants to give me.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

MAF is simple. you can do it in either maf or sd mode (but you gotta have maf plugged in, just 'failed'). i don't turn off dfco or pe or any of these for it. just as long as your ve is done, just go do few 120+ runs (starting in tall gear so you gather the whole range of data) and you're good to go. i can do it in 5-10 mins if cops leave me alone. i mean at the closed track with a professional
Old 09-27-2005, 09:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

wouldnt not turning off dfco skew the #'s horribly upon decelleration?
Old 09-27-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

sure, if you're tuning ve, maf calibration just maps over portions of ve table to the maf table, you're not going off fuel trims, unless you are using that other maf spreadsheet
Old 09-27-2005, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
MAF is simple. you can do it in either maf or sd mode (but you gotta have maf plugged in, just 'failed').

if you are using a Wideband to calibrate it you dont need to fail it unless I missed something
Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foff667
......I made up a tuning doc I can send you outlining step by step how to tune SD for hptuners 2.0...i was just waiting till it came out to post it...that & im still gathering any info that anyone wants to give me.
Sure lay it on me

I PM'd you with my email address..
Old 09-27-2005, 10:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
sure, if you're tuning ve, maf calibration just maps over portions of ve table to the maf table, you're not going off fuel trims, unless you are using that other maf spreadsheet
my only concern would be the decel enleanment rate...figure if dfco is enabled upon decel your commanded afr would be 14.7 but your w/b reading might be 17-20:1 whereas if you had it disabled it would be aiming for 14.7 and seeing 14.5-14.9 more then likely at that point so the #'s wouldnt be skewed...am I missing something?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

typically you tune with DFCO off because you car has to meet certain requirement to enter dfco...which means you want your tune to be safe for when DFCO doesnt activate...its supposed to take away all the fuel when its activated so the engine functions as an engine brake(Deceleration Fuel Cut Off)

you can tune MAF with Wideband error %(my personal Favorite)
With STFT/LTFT (for if you dont have a wideband)
and by PID for Dynamic Airflow in g/sec (metric)(Red Supras worksheet in a PID form)

Last edited by soundengineer; 09-28-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just for a little fuel on the fire....

How about this...

I create a histogram logging LTFT vs. MAF Hz and then make adjustments to the MAF calibration based on the results (assuming my VE is spot on).

OR should I disable LTFT and use STFT???

(DFCO disabled???)