PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How difficult is it to get started in tuning?

Old 09-28-2005, 01:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How difficult is it to get started in tuning?

My friend and I are going to attempt to try and tune my car. Its a 2002 Z28 with a G5X3, and a set of milled AFR 205's going on. After all of this, we're going to attempt to tune it. How hard is it to get started in this? We are both relitively new to this. We are thinking about going with HP Tuners. He has some knowledge, but I am a complete newb. Any input, and any pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Nittany_marine; 09-29-2005 at 12:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's not difficult to tune. it takes some time to get familiar with what your dealing with though. start with the stickies at the top of this section.

also visit, www.efilive.com and www.hptuners.com both sites have forums with additional tuning info specific to their product.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm beginning my journey into LS1 tuning as well. My HPTuners should be here any day. The stickies in this forum, as well as the HPT forums have been a great help so far. I had never done a cam install before I did mine, so that gave me some courage. I'm pretty sure I can pick up on it quite easily.

Just like having all the right tools for the cam install made it a breeze, I would expect having all the right tools for the tuning would make it just as easy. I'm leaning towards investing in a LC-1 wideband O2. I already have the 1bar upgrade with HPT.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to learn certain terms like "bar" and things like that.....
Old 09-29-2005, 08:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nittany_marine
I need to learn certain terms like "bar" and things like that.....
bar-A unit of pressure equal to .98697 standard atmosphere...so 1 bar is just atmospheric pressure...what you'd breath in. 2 bar and so forth obviously is when you somehow increase this pressure into your motor via a turbo, or blower. As far as tuning goes there are enough writups and info here to get you well on your way. When i started over a year ago there werent as may options ie hptuners, efilive, tunercat, ls1edit...or any true writeups other then little things youd find along the way. But it still will take some time/reading to weed out the right & wrong info.

Search this Thread