PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband Accuracy? Which ones work the best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wideband Accuracy? Which ones work the best?

Which Wideband tools, LM1, Dynotune etc are the most accurate? Have any been compared side by side?
Anyone heard of any being off considerably?

Last edited by Steve40th; 09-30-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using an LC1...
compared it to a few others..all of which read the same...
most of teh ones that are "major brand names" aer pretty dam accurate
Old 09-29-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks, My tuner was told that the LM1 was as high as .6 above what you really are.
He is a reputable tuner, and my tune was 13.5 till around 5500 then it went to 11.59. But no detonation or spark knock with 11.1to cpmpression on pump gas.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I would vote for both since they are the same. We manufacture the digital gauges but the widebands we supply with our gauges our Innovate Widebands. We can help you with our setups or any Innovate product. We have found them to be excellent as far as accuracy and quality are concerned.

Hope this helps!

Dean
Old 09-29-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the old argument of ntk vs bosch sensors?
Old 09-30-2005, 02:32 AM
Restricted User

Steve, are you sure he wasnt referring to the difference b/w street/load and dynojet load? I have tried "your" LM-1 against a Commander and the two were identical basically.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently using a DYNO JET commander. On my last dyno tune installed dynos o2 sensor in the "I" pipe (extra bung) next to commanders sensor both were reading and responding the same. Unit has been working great! Glad I spent the extra money for it.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CAT3
Steve, are you sure he wasnt referring to the difference b/w street/load and dynojet load? I have tried "your" LM-1 against a Commander and the two were identical basically.
Nope, He was told about the LM1 being off. I think he was told this because of a person operating it wrong. Like not calibrating properly or something. I will send the logs if you want, and you can. It was lean, relatively at 13.5 till around 5500 then it went rich to about 11.5.
The street load and DYno load I have heard before. But not any real information on knowledge on it. Thats a good point, because wont a car be leane on the street as you are pulling longer, if through 3 gears,for example?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A little lengthy but I think it helps explain why Innovates technology is the best on the market.

The biggest difference is actually the (pat. pend.) measurement principle of the Innovate Wideband. It is different from all other widebands in that it does NOT use the pump current as AFR indication. Instead it uses the sensor to form with the Wideband circuit what's called a delta-sigma analog to digital converter. The difference is that the analog signal in this case is not a voltage or current, but directly the exhaust gas composition. This allows it to:

A: react extremely fast with no settling or overswing
B: be independent of electronic parts tolerances and drifts
C: compensate for sensor drift due to aging every time you do a free air calibration.
D: calibrate for the actual sensor characteristic independent of the factory calibration resistor, which is only correct when the sensor is new.
E: is much less susceptible to exhaust back pressure.

Another advantage of that measurement principle is automatic compensation for 'rich gas loading'. This is an effect most WB manufacturers do not compensate for or even know of. When a WB sensor is operating in a rich gas for a prolonged time (minutes), it's cells 'load up' and slowly drift, requiring more and more pump current. This will indicate richer and richer than it actually is. If the ECU is WB controlled in closed loop, the engine would actually run leaner and leaner to compensate.
The Innovates measurement principle is not susceptible to that.

Dean
Old 09-30-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Makes sense, thanks
Old 09-30-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I won't bash the LC1, I have one sitting 3 feet from me. For high horsepower cars, I always use a NTK based wideband, the AFM1000 is a good unit, without having to go to a $5,000 Horiba setup.

Comparing a AFM1000 to a LM1, they're close if you take the time to properly calibrate the LM1 with the vehicel running so the voltage is stable, and the sensor in free air.

Ryan
Old 09-30-2005, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Default Zeitronix??

Anyone have any experience with the Zeitronix wideband set up? Some of the features they advertise look great and the price is pretty good.

http://www.zeitronix.com/index.html
Old 10-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

sorry to hijack but 618hawk where did you hook up your tach wire on your dynojet wb, I hooked mine up to the tach wire on the pcm but it doesnt seem to be working right?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tamanjd
sorry to hijack but 618hawk where did you hook up your tach wire on your dynojet wb, I hooked mine up to the tach wire on the pcm but it doesnt seem to be working right?
That is where I pulled mine from as well. Along with the pick up for throttle position. Not sure if it matters did you hook it up to your laptop/pc and check or do anything with the configuration settings.??? Might take a look there.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

yea i tried the config on the laptopbut it didnt seem to work right, still dont have the o2 hooked up yet maybe that is what is wrong getting a custom turbo setup so i dont have the bung welded in yet. I guess Ill try some more when I get that hooked up. thanks though
Old 10-03-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tamanjd
yea i tried the config on the laptopbut it didnt seem to work right, still dont have the o2 hooked up yet maybe that is what is wrong getting a custom turbo setup so i dont have the bung welded in yet. I guess Ill try some more when I get that hooked up. thanks though
Yes the o2 needs to be hooked up and in the bung & exhaust to work correctly. Just remember never to run the system with the o2 not in the exhaust flow, will damage it. If you need to remove it take it all the way out and disconnect it at its disconnect point.
Once all in you shoud be fine. Unit works great I think you will be happy.
Chris
Old 10-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

I hope that is all it is, no I havent ever even had the o2 plugged in yet, the tps works fine just the tach. car should be done this week so Ill let you know how it goes.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a NTK based meter and have used a LM1 with the bosche sensor. They both corresponded pretty close when I had them on the car at the same time. The NTK sensor is more sensative to pressure than the bosche sensor so i'm told. When I had my NTK sensor in the exhaust after the turbo and the bosche sensor in the pipe before turbo they differed by about .3 AFR which IMO is close enough for me since I tune for 11.0 AFR. .3 doesn't mean jack power wise at 11.0:1.

The wideband is kind of like a dyno, as long as it's consistant and close to reality every time you use it, you should have no problems.