Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CT Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CT Emissions

Today I took my car in for emissions. The mods are as follows. Pacesetter lt’s ory, lid, borla, and tuned with hpt. I did not pass but the guy aborted the test so I could fix the stuff. I don’t know if I failed because I just recently uploaded a tune, but he said something about a light being set to not report an error and questioned how it got like that. I just played dumb. He said something about cycling the car, does anyone know what he is talking about? I really don’t want to buy a TSP catted y-pipe but if I have to I guess I will. The air system and egr have not been removed yet, but have been disabled in the tune. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure what he is saying the problem is. I think that hte issue is probably that you have not driven the car enough to have everythign say ready. There's several people here in Ct that have mods that are similar done, myself included, but I do have cats in my Y pipe. P.M.. me and maybe I can help you out.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

hey guys, when i brought the car in the first time, the car apparently wasn't cycled, so i think a couple of the system tests weren't reading complete. But he said something about seeing the cat dtc set to no error reported, does that mean they look for that, or was that because the tests weren't completed that that stood out. heres what hp tuners is telling me. Does that mean i will pass?
Attached Thumbnails CT Emissions-emissionsquestion.jpg  
Old 10-24-2005, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

anybody?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Technically if you dont have cats they fail you. They are supposed to check for them.
Besides that it sounds like the problem you are having is a wrong in one of your diag tests settings. With my LS1edit I toggle the "Does SES set error" and I leave that on but I set the error mode to type X. I think you might have TYPE C on one of the settings that causes the whole thing not to run or maybe the "set error" to off (I dont know HP Tuners does it). You have to run through a whole driving cycle to set the status to ready for the codes they scan for. I have EFILIVE that scans all the ODB-II stuff and tells me if they are "READY" or not. My car passed with flying colors and I have Heads/Cam setup with all the boltons.

Last edited by 9T9BlueTA; 10-25-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

So I took my car back in today, and she passed, or so they said, after they failed me for not having cats. I was so pissed because i talked to one of the guys and said that they didn't look for them, and then what do you know, thats the only thing that failed. Im so pissed right now. Anyway, im gonna grab a set of Hi-Flo cats to weld into my ORY, does anyone have suggestions, and is this going to kill my ground clearance? Not looking to spend a rediculous amount.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

would the high flow cats pass? I need to know the same thing, currently we don't have emmisions but it's just a matter of time, thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ depends on your emissions place... if they do a sniffer then there's a chance it may fail ... but most likely would pass

If it's just OBDII you should be fine
Old 10-31-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Remember you dont need cats, just something that looks like them.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

is there a way to not delete the codes, but instead just disable their SES light. maybe that could be what happened.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ yes... all the tuning solutions out there allow for this...

Hopefully everything stays as it is now... but from my understanding when they plug into your car.. they download the entire PCM... (so it's easy to do a compare to see that the file's been modified from the GM OS) for now they're not doing anything... hopefully that's how they keep it
Old 11-01-2005, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Well my OBDII test passed, they failed me for the visual. Hopefully when i take it to a different emissions place they don't do a sniffer test. I dont' think they will.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tars7
Well my OBDII test passed, they failed me for the visual. Hopefully when i take it to a different emissions place they don't do a sniffer test. I dont' think they will.
They wont. They wont do sniffer tests on OBD II cars. The system is not as compicated as some people think. Half the cameras are'nt even hooked up and as for comparing files LOL There are about 40 diferent builds for each car.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

just get a junk yard cat, cut it up and tack it (or clamp it neatly) to the pipe. This is what I did for my CT test. I passed the sniffer (car is 88 IROC) but failed the visual. Its all bull ****-just about the states money IMO!
Old 11-02-2005, 05:46 PM

I passed with no problems. They did not look for cats even though I have them.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

lucky man, i talked to the guy the night before, show up and the first thing he does is jack the car to the cieling and inspect the exhaust
Old 11-02-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ to make things clear.. where you are at in CT they do both OBDII and sniffer? or just OBDII and visual?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:39 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

CT's test is a obd@ test, and a visual.... HOWEVER, if they scan your computer, and don't like what they see.. they can put your car on the rollers. Ask Chef on here about it and see hwat he has to say... they didn't like what they saw in his computer, so they put his car on teh rollers, and with a relativly good sized cam, and no cats, it failed bad. Here's the catch... once your car goes on the rollers once, they will put it on the rollers every time after that. So, if they ever say your car has a computer problem, and want to put it on teh rollers, tell them to STOP, and DO NOT let it get to the rollers, or you will be doomed for that forever.

P.M. the chef, he can explain probably better then I can.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Yea, it was obd and visual. But since i passed the obd and failed the visual, do you think they will think somethings up?