Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever turn off front O2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
my reasoning is that the maf is not perfect at all and can introduce a lot of fueling error. I would prefer to run SD so you dont have those errors, and its just odd that someone goes through all that and puts the MAF back on the car. i just have a hard time relying on a sensor to fuel the car without the car being allowed to make corrections for possible improper fueling. i would much rather tell the car how to run and beon the safe side ya know?

its only full of erors when you rely on the stock table...
if you tune it...it plays along quite nicely....

and FYI... I actually prefer SD as well....IT always feels a little nicer on throttle respose as that is what the VE is mainly for when the MAF is connected...transient throttle
Old 11-02-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the VE and MAF would have to be dialed in perfectly together, and from some "pro shops" i have seen, they dont get into it that deep. i bet the car is all screwy and he turned the o2s off cause they were doing things he didnt want them to do and he didnt know how to fix them lol
Old 11-02-2005, 09:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
so the VE and MAF would have to be dialed in perfectly together, and from some "pro shops" i have seen, they dont get into it that deep. i bet the car is all screwy and he turned the o2s off cause they were doing things he didnt want them to do and he didnt know how to fix them lol
thankfully there are a few tuner shops that do it right...
but unfortunately most are just a dyno, and a guy with a little bit of knowledge of some tricks to get the car to idle and to adjust WOT fuel and spark on the dyno.

the real problem is that many "pro shops" just dont have the time to do proper VE and MAF tuning...many know how to do it...but they have so many customers to squeeze in to pay the bills that they cant afford to do it right.

I usually spend a solid 4-6 hours tuning in a car from scratch....and last week I had one that took nearly 8...LOL
I dont skimp, and I pride myself on perfection
sometimes longer if they want some tranny tuning to get their A4 with wicked tall stall to shift like their stock one did...and its all driver preference on that part. I should start charging by the hour for tranny stuff.....LOL
Old 11-02-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i know how that goes. lots of time they make the customer think that the car is all set and ready to go. ive fixed quite a few cars that ran strong and idled ok, but got 10 mpg, then after a tune getting 14-16, that saved them a hell of a lot of money! lol

Quick Reply: anyone ever turn off front O2 sensors?