Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD and smog

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD and smog

I realize that running in SD vs MAF does not create more or less pollution. What are the issues when trying to pass smog on a car that came with a MAF and now you run the car in SD? I am in crap-ifornia by the way. Home of the govenator.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by My 1st Love
I realize that running in SD vs MAF does not create more or less pollution. What are the issues when trying to pass smog on a car that came with a MAF and now you run the car in SD? I am in crap-ifornia by the way. Home of the govenator.
I doubt the inspector would even notice it. Just make sure your check engine light isn't on and all your readiness checks are complete.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:55 AM
TECH Junkie

if you are worried about the visual inspection you could gut your MAF so it's hollow and remove all the pins on the MAF side connector. Same concept as hollow cats.

Last edited by TAQuickness; 11-11-2005 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

that is a beautiful idea there TA. I think that a clone MAF may be a good alternative. Thanks for the idea. Do the techs check the dtcs though? Because the car would log a MAF failure code. I can set the code not to flash a light but what about not storing the code?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

I'm not sure how that works. If you want it to go into SD mode you need to set off the P0103 code, right? So.....if you have just the SES light off, when they connect to the Obd11 for the inspection and it will pull up that code.

What I do is just unplug the MAF instead of setting the MAF fail value to 0. That way, when it is time for inspection all I have to do is plug the MAF back in and the code will go away without any need to reflash the pcm with a new tune and therefore not mess up the readiness tests and pass inspection.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk
What I do is just unplug the MAF instead of setting the MAF fail value to 0. That way, when it is time for inspection all I have to do is plug the MAF back in and the code will go away without any need to reflash the pcm with a new tune and therefore not mess up the readiness tests and pass inspection.
If your MAF is not dialed in, you will probably not pass CA emmisions when you plug it back in.

A MAF sensor is not required to pass emmisions. Case in point, my Dodge Dakota is SD from the factory.

I don't have any idea how Arnold runs emmisions testing. I would suggest you Google the topic and learn a bit more about it before you take the SD plunge. Either that or perform the SD tune, then dial in your MAF = no worries.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to enable SD mode you need to make the PCM think the MAF is bad or missing right? (SD is a FAILOVER mode in our cars) so that sets an SES (even if you set it to not display the light .. it still sets a code ... )...

Thus you won't pass in SD mode.... does commiefornia do just OBDII? or OBDII and roller/dyno ?

if it's just OBDII you can do an emissions tune to get your car to pass OBDII... if roller/dyno also... a properly dialed in SD tune should be more environmentally friendly than stock... so dial your MAF in and you should pass the sniffer no problem

regarding a maf sensor not being required to pass emissions... on cars that come with a MAF it is required... just like a 2000 or earlier f-body requires an EGR .... commifornia is pretty strict w/the visuals from what I've read/heard... not sure if they have a manual that says "an xx year car by manufacturer yy of model zz requires the following....."

But it doesn't really matter.... SD is a failover mode... your PCM is setting a code for the MAF being bad (doesn't matter if the SES light turns on) ... that's how you're able to enter into SD "mode" ..... you'll prolly wanna do an emissions friendly tune..... (emissions doesn't require WOT .... )