PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Books that teach PCM tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005 | 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Another_User
There is a book called "Corvette Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control: 1982 through 2001." It does not specifically tell you how to tune using tuning software, but it gives you a very complete understanding of how the entire LSx engine works. I highly recommend it. There is a PCM tuning book out there called "How to Tune and Modify Engine Managements Systems." I highly recommend you leave that book on the shelf. It is a total waste of money. Another useful book on how engine management systems works is "Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management." A lot of GMs stuff is based off of it. (and yes, I own all of these books, so I am not talking out of my butt)
I agree, I bought and read the Corvette Fuel Injection book and although it does not teach you specifically how to tune, it teaches you how everything works. Once you understand how everything works, it is MUCH easier to learn how to tune. To learn how to actually tune, this website and the help files from EFILive and HPTuners are your best sources.
Old 11-17-2005 | 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
wasted $30's on it
I guess I look at it differently.
I figure if I learn something/anything it's worth the price (within reason $20-40) since there is so little specific info available.
Also, a decent knowledge of internal combustion dynamics is needed to tune intelligently- I can always use help with this.
Old 11-17-2005 | 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bink
I figure if I learn something/anything it's worth the price (within reason $20-40) since there is so little specific info available.
Also, a decent knowledge of internal combustion dynamics is needed to tune intelligently- I can always use help with this.
It was interesting reading, but there wasn't anything useful for me. When somebody makes a book that explains best practices for tuning A/F ratios, recommended ignition timine with comparison to old distributor weighted and vacuum advance, etc, etc, then I will be impressed. But that "how to tune" book didn't do it for me.
Old 11-17-2005 | 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

its not how to nothing! its should be "Dynamics and theory of tuning engine management systems"
Old 11-18-2005 | 03:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bink
After discovering LS1TECH, I have never and will never buy another book. This place is a godsend.
Old 11-18-2005 | 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turo
I agree, I bought and read the Corvette Fuel Injection book and although it does not teach you specifically how to tune, it teaches you how everything works. Once you understand how everything works, it is MUCH easier to learn how to tune. To learn how to actually tune, this website and the help files from EFILive and HPTuners are your best sources.
Another vote for Corvette Fuel Injection. Great book. Full of good info.

Quick Reply: Books that teach PCM tuning