Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Realtime tuning software?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Realtime tuning software?

Do any of the tuning software packages offer realtime calibrations where the engine does not have to be shut off to change the cal? Something like the DFI and FAST systems?

Last edited by dinker486; 11-18-2005 at 08:48 AM. Reason: opps
Old 11-18-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Well with HPtuners and EFILive they have live controls where you can change things like RPM, Timing, IAC, turn fans on and off, fuel trim resets, shut off fuel pumps, a bunch of other things. If you use that and figure out what works best and how it idles best, then you just take those values and upload the tune once your are done.

Dixit
Old 11-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Do any of them show you the fuel and/or spark table so you can modify it from there?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you cant modify the fuel or spark tables in real time...but you can log anything you want and change it in the tune later..reflash..and double check with another drive...

one of the problems is that the PCM just doesnt support that..you need a CAN car for that....newer cars are moving to this...
and with th enew HPT hardware coming out soon....you should be able to do this if they impliment it in the software as well...
might PM "MAGNUS" he wold know for sure if HPT can or will do this
Old 11-18-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

You cant fully modify the spark, but you can adjust idle spark through the VCM control. This helps when you just installed a CAM and want to figure out at what absolute idle spark advance does it run the way you want to. That VCM tool helped me a ton of times.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can allows live programming?

Ryan
Old 11-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Teching In

i guy down hear in Australia made his own real time tuning software. He modified a LS1 pcm to run his own custom software. I dont know to much about it.
On ls1-Australia.com there is a whole section on the forum about it under "RTLS1" Delphi is the guy you want to talk about it
Old 11-18-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I talked to the guys with Moates.net. they have a working real time LS1 computer working, and it works with bluetooth so no wires.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your kidding, EFI live and HP Tuners is NOT LIVE?!!!!

I was going to purchase this software but that is kind of a tuning hinderance. Guess im just used to Motec and the wonderful quick lambda tool.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanO
Your kidding, EFI live and HP Tuners is NOT LIVE?!!!!

I was going to purchase this software but that is kind of a tuning hinderance. Guess im just used to Motec and the wonderful quick lambda tool.
from what i understand moates system doesnt use a stock computer though...it uses one of his computers thats modified to work in real time...its may not be impossible with the stock computer but it sure aint easy from what i hear. Also moates system isnt going to be super cheap either whereas with hptuners & efilive you get to tune several or endless year cars relatively cheap. There are two sides to the story.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

EFILive has bi-directional controls that allow you to control transmission gears, AFR and spark real time. However, the changes are not stored when you shut it off. You can then program the changes to store them permanently.

I used the bi-directional controls to vary AFR and timing on back to back passes, then stored the optimum settings.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not that EFILive and HP Tuners are not live, it's that the GM OS running in the PCM does not support live updating of the calibrations.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by joecar
It's not that EFILive and HP Tuners are not live, it's that the GM OS running in the PCM does not support live updating of the calibrations.

^^^ yup.. w/the stock PCM you have to write data in blocks... you can't pick and choose where to write to on the flash chip .. in order to write to a block you have to first erase the block... and I don't think our cars would take too kindly to having their calibration data erased and rewritten while they're running heh

The aftermarket realtime solutions use a different form of memory which allows for realtime updates of certain params (the bi-directional controls in EFI Live and HP Tuners basically take control of certain PCM functions, but the bus isn't fast enough when you're dealing with WOT calibrations at high RPM being updated many many times a second)
Old 11-19-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Craig and I are working together on the LS1 Emulator. Rest assured it will retail for a price MUCH lower than the one being offered in Australia. Right now testing is going very well. Also we are working with one well known vendor, who makes one of the two most popular LS1 tuning/scanning software packages. If all goes well the Roadrunner (LS1 Emulator) will use this as a frontend interface. We already have one working software interface, so there will be multiple interface options available to suit the end user. Based on this, use of the Roadrunner will be very familiar to those already engaged in the tuning of LS1's. In fact it will look just like the existing tuning software except that the changes take place in real time instead of having to reflash them into the PCM.

The capabilities of this thing are tremendous as compared to simply using the bidirectional controls of the factory PCM.

Last edited by Geoff; 11-19-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-19-2005, 09:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 11-20-2005, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Now that is VERY interesting news
Old 11-20-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Craig and I are working together on the LS1 Emulator. Rest assured it will retail for a price MUCH lower than the one being offered in Australia. Right now testing is going very well. Also we are working with one well known vendor, who makes one of the two most popular LS1 tuning/scanning software packages. If all goes well the Roadrunner (LS1 Emulator) will use this as a frontend interface. We already have one working software interface, so there will be multiple interface options available to suit the end user. Based on this, use of the Roadrunner will be very familiar to those already engaged in the tuning of LS1's. In fact it will look just like the existing tuning software except that the changes take place in real time instead of having to reflash them into the PCM.

The capabilities of this thing are tremendous as compared to simply using the bidirectional controls of the factory PCM.
What kind of hardware hacking or replacement do you have to do for this?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Teching In

The RoadRunner is a daughterboard that installs into a stock PCM. It overrides the stock PCM's Flash chip (when asked to do so). You can upload a full stock binary in 6 seconds via USB, 20 seconds on the wireless link. No disturbance during instantaneous realtime changes.

In terms of how it hooks up, you can get a modified PCM from me, with the daughterboard already installed. Or, you can send me your PCM and I'll install a connection header onto the PCM internals and send it back to you.

The cabling is going to be such that a weather-proof USB connector will be installed through the case. This lets you hook a cable up to it when you want to and put a waterproof cap over the hole when you are done.

Another option is Bluetooth wireless. Range is variable depending on the sheetmetal, but right now what I'm planning is to have the weatherproof connector actually allow you to place the BT dongle outside of the case where you can get better reception. Otherwise, you can place the BT module inside the case and not even modify the case. In that scenario, the range is much lower (only a few feet). However, you can drape a BT PC-side dongle near the PCM and get communication that way.

Anyways, that's the deal. It is a solder-in header that either goes on top of your flash chip or replaces your flash chip (depending on whether you need to preserve Flash functionality). Then you snap the RoadRunner in there and it takes over. It emulates (read-only from PCM perspective) the entire Flash space, including the protected VIN block.

Hope this helps,
-Craig
Old 11-21-2005, 02:53 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I cannot wait, sounds like something a lot of people will want to look at. I realize its jumping the gun but is there a ball park price that can be made public?

Quick Reply: Realtime tuning software?