Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cig lighter to power LC-1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cig lighter to power LC-1 ?

Can I use the cigarette lighter socket to power the LC-1 wideband ? (+) and (-) 12v with ability to provide plenty of current, correct ?

Can I use that cig lighter ground (-) for the other grounds on the EIO/LC-1 interfaces as well ?

Thanks, tryin to get this thing wired up !

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 11-18-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes and yes... that's how the LM-1s work, so you'll be fine (what I would do is go to radioshack, they sell the cig adapters with wires on them... then you could wire it into a switched power source so you don't have to unplug it all the time, you could hide it in your glove box)
Old 11-19-2005, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

The idea is to make it portable (with my HPTuners) so I can easily take it in/out and use it on other cars, so I thought the cig lighter would be a great way to make an easy (+) and (-) portable connection for the wiring.

Should work great !

Now to figure out how to use the wideband with HPTuners. What do I need to monitor to tune VE ?

Do I still do the SD tune (disable MAF, reset LTRIMS) command 13:1 and then log RPM, MAP, TPS, LC-1 ? Use the LC-1 output instead of LTRIMS to remap VE ?

Then dynamic air vs MAF freq to plot a new MAF curve, right ? Tryin to get my brain around all this.

Thanks,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 11-19-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, still do SD... but no need to force 13.1:1 AFR ... there's a wideband histogram that shows the % of error between actual AFR and commanded AFR ... then you use these values to multiply the appropriate cells in VE (in your case, modify the main primary VE table, then copy the appropriate rows to the secondary table)
Old 11-19-2005, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info Horist.

...after realizing most cars other than mine don't have an extra O2 bung I have decided to go the route in the other post ( ???Is there any write up on making LC-1 wideband work with HP Tuners???) and use the narrowband output to keep the PCM happy while using the wideband output in HPTuners.

I chopped the connector off an old dead O2 sensor and followed the wiring info in that post :

A. From the LC-1, these go to a square 4 pin O2 plug (sse image):
red = heater power -> NBO2 socket heater power = D
blue = heater ground -> NBO2 socket heater ground = C
yellow = analog out 1 -> NBO2 socket signal = B
green = analog ground -> NBO2 socket signal ground = A
You need your vehicle's wire diagram to see which wires (A, B, C, D) go where on your vehicle; see image.

**B. Splice an extra green 6ft wire to the LC-1 green wire This is used in C. below.

C. From LC-1, these go to a Metripack inline 4 pin connector:
extra green wire -> Logger WBO2 gound
brown -> Logger WBO2 signal
black -> calibration
white -> system ground (use for calibration)

The only thing I did differently is that I have the brown/white pair going to the EIO white/black wires. (That info has the LC-1 green wire grounding both narrowband and wideband outputs).

Since the LC-1 black calibration wire doesn't need to be connected all the time I just extended it with a length of wire that will reach the grounding post on the strut tower, with the pushbutton and LED in parallel.

I'll be trying it out for the first time this weekend, woowoo.

Rob (Bad30th)

Last edited by Bad30th; 11-19-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by horist
yes, still do SD... but no need to force 13.1:1 AFR ... there's a wideband histogram that shows the % of error between actual AFR and commanded AFR ... then you use these values to multiply the appropriate cells in VE (in your case, modify the main primary VE table, then copy the appropriate rows to the secondary table)
You mean the #7 AFR Error % histogram preset, right ? (HPTuners 2.0)

Man, this is gonna be a piece of cake...

So log some data and then - how do I apply the different cells from that AFR histogram to the primary VE table ? Isn't there a paste/multiply trick or something ? I know how to make the secondary table once I get the primary.

Edit : nm - figured it out - just right click and choose 'Paste Special/Multiply by %', right ?

Thanks !
Rob (Bad30th)

Last edited by Bad30th; 11-19-2005 at 03:41 PM.