Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with electrical problems

Long story short is my TTS headers burned up several wires including the Passenger forward cat.
When splicing in new wires (an additional 7 ft in length) I used 18 gauge for all of those wires which include passenger ABS, oil pan, engine fuel, purple starter wire, passenger Front 02.

What I need to know is after watching the voltage on that 02 it is up and down with the driver's side for about 5 minutes. At which point it slowly starts to decrease voltage down to .1, I have ruled out the sensor and the computer. So the filament inside is burning up right? I re-routed the wire harness between the engine and the
headers where it is heat shielded next to the positive starter wire. I thought well maybe that I crossed a wire when crimping. However, if I had the sensor would read .45 all the time, like it was unconnected.

Any comments would be appreciated. Since this looks like an area that most mechanics know little about where can I get a good starter book on Automotive electical wiring, diagrams, and tools needed?
Old 03-06-2002, 06:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Default Re: Help with electrical problems

I think we used 12 or 14 gauge wire when we rewired the same stuff.

If the 02 stops moving it could be messed up. Did you run really rich for a while?

I am on my 3rd set of front 02's.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Yes I did run rich for a while. Then I bought a new 02 and it ran for a while, about one week before it went. Could the wrong gauge of wire cause these to burn out? I thought I had the problem beat last night but then it came back. This all started after PCM tuning and then dyno tuning on bad 02's.

Basically after the dyno tune I got all the SES lights for front and rear 02's. The computer does some strange things when just one 02 out of four goes bad. Last night it tripped the P rear 02 code, 1060 and started missing under load. Now I have had those turned off via the PCM for two months but there it was.

Went through new 02's wiring and a new PCM can't figure it out. My knowledge on Wiring is very weak, but here is my theory. That the length or the gauge of the wire replaced is destroying each new sensor. If I had the wires crossed when I lengthened them, the 02 wouldn't read anything but the standard .44 and .45, like when you just disconnect the 02 at the plug. Instead the sensor works for 5 or 10 minutes before starting to fall way off and the Sterms and Lterms start spiking.

What would cause the 02 to read right and then after it is heated up start dropping off in voltage, creating a rich condition? Does something happen to the sensor after it is warmed up, like the circuit is completed? A ground, a crossed wire, this has been going on since January now.

I think I need monitor the voltage through the wires near the computer and at the 02 via Atap, after I find out what each wire should show.

[ March 06, 2002: Message edited by: Raytheon ]</p>
Old 03-06-2002, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

I was wondering if while ya'll are on the subject of O2 sensors. Which wire do I connect my a/f mixture guage to? And what is a good and easy place to run wires through my fire wall? ('02 Camaro)
Old 03-07-2002, 08:36 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Are you sure it's not breaking down at the connections you made? If you used connectors and did not solder/heat shrink wrap that could be your problem. And for the additional distance you're going I would step up on the wire size like PSJ said. Maybe try ohm-ing out your current total wire length vs the same length of fresh 18 gauge off the spool.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. This is great. I knew someone on here was full of electrical knowledge and not just turning wrenches.