Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will i be ok?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question will i be ok?

Ok guys i purchased my FM14 112+4 a few weeks ago (still waiting) and my valve springs, pushrods, timing chain, oil pump, and i will be purchasing a fast 90mm with the NW throttle body and installing it all at the same time.

My question is do you think i will be ok driving with stock tuning for a couple weeks or do you think that my PCM wont be able to compensate.

I have read that plenty of ppl have drivin with this cam on stock tuning for a while... i dont expect it to run perfect by any means but do you feel it will be safe enough to go for it?

I just didnt know if the Fast intake and TB will take it to far for the PCM to compensate enough....any questions? thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Its a 00' SS M6 with macs, ory, a cut out, lid, etc, etc.

Last edited by Riddlerls1; 12-28-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

edited to make more readable (at least by me ... large paragraphs often discourage people from reading/helping ....)

the 90mm TB will prolly affect the idle ... may make it harder to maintain an idle....

but... for street driving (I wouldn't suggest going WOT much) you'll be fine....

for safe WOT I would scan/tune it first.... for best drivability you'll most likely need to scan/tune it ... but driving the car a few weeks at "normal" driving ... should be a-ok
Old 12-28-2005, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. Anyone with this cam have anything to say about how it ran before tuning?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i assume this is in an m6 right?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

right M6

on a side note i was planning on buying HPtuners but i have never attempted to tune with a computer program before so i dunno how well i will be able to tune it

I made a call to a local dyno and they use diable sport tuners, they are distributers so they have the software on their computers to make custom dyno tunes and just use the diablo as the intermediary... after it is all said and done it will cost around $500, this includes the programmer

I also called Superchips in tulsa (I live in Arkansas) and for Ed wright to do a dyno tune it would cost $650. wow. Anyways he is supposed to be very good, but damn pricey and he no longer locks the pcm.

So should i buy HPtuners and attempt to tune it myself, which i would still end up paying for dyno time so it would be expensive as crap too, or should i go the diablo sport tuner way, or Ed wright in tulsa?

Will they be able to get a pretty close "street" or driveability tune with the car on the dyno or will they just do a WOT tune?

I have never had a car dyno tuned so i have no clue.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would pay the money and buy a wideband, hptuners or efilive. It might take you a little bit to get started, but you will have a better tune in the long run. I personally wouldn't let anyone tune my car.