PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Edit to prevent the 3rd to 2nd gear mis-shift in a M6?.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Edit to prevent the 3rd to 2nd gear mis-shift in a M6?.

Is it possible to use LS1 Edit and CAGS to not allow the transmission to downshift from 3rd to 2nd at high rpms to prevent the blown shift so many of us have encountered? This would prevent the engine from over-revving and thus keep it from bending pushrods and valves due to valve float.

<small>[ May 24, 2002, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: ws6rufus ]</small>
Old 05-23-2002, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Default Re: LS1 Edit to prevent the 3rd to 2nd gear mis-shift in a M6?.

I see what ws6rufus is asking... Can you use the CAGS solenoid on a 6-speed car to keep yourself from doing a 3-2 shift when you're trying to do a 3-4 shift.

The answer is yes, I think... Try setting CAGS to operate ONLY above 70 MPH or so, at any TPS setting. I think that oughtta do it. (In other words, you're telling the computer that if the car is going over 70 mph, it is NOT to let you shift into second.)

Let us know if it works! Sounds like it could be an engine saver.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

So set the mph at like 70 and 200 and what should I set the Load in KPA and % TPS?

<small>[ May 24, 2002, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: ws6rufus ]</small>
Old 05-24-2002, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Any value above 0 should work... Try 1kPA and 1% TPS.
Old 05-25-2002, 03:23 AM
Staging Lane

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Killer '01 SS:
<strong>Any value above 0 should work... Try 1kPA and 1% TPS.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Only problem with 1kpa and 1% tps is that anytime you reach the set speed the CAGS light will come on and if its 70mph for instance then you'll be seeing the CAGS light a lot on the freeway. Of course you could set the kpa to 80-up which is the WOT range.

Bigger problem is if when you're shifting you're typically off the throttle so 0% tps would be needed but I don't think the edit would allow that and on top of that, the 80-kpa up setting would deactivate CAGS on the shift.

However If you set it above lets say 70% tps and 1-kpa then CAGS would work only on a Power shift where you don't lift on the throttle (not quite sure of kpa values while in a WOT zero-load situation occuring during a power shift).

If you don't like power shifting do a granny power shift where you only partially lift during the shift, and set the tps value to 35% (which adds the benefit of most likely not activating during normal driving)

BTW make sure the mph is corrected for gearing. I.E. 4.10's would require a lower activation speed.