Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with cold idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with cold idle

When I start my car with the engine cold and the outside temp in the 40's, it seems to be missing a little and losing a lot of power. When I put it in gear the idle surges up to about 1500 rpm. After the car warms up everything is normal. The PCM has never been tuned and the only mods are a lid, cat-back, and Dry shot that has never been used. I am scared to spray with it acting like this. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by codewhitfield
When I start my car with the engine cold and the outside temp in the 40's, it seems to be missing a little and losing a lot of power. When I put it in gear the idle surges up to about 1500 rpm. After the car warms up everything is normal. The PCM has never been tuned and the only mods are a lid, cat-back, and Dry shot that has never been used. I am scared to spray with it acting like this. Thanks for any help.

Hello codewhitfield is your check engine light on? Sounds like an ect sensor problem. Do you have any way to check the data stream and look at the ect sensor output?

Chris Macellaro
Old 01-06-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ported TB with the IAC hole filled in? Maybe the IAC hole is too small.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Teching In

No....I don't have any tuning software, and the check engine light is not on. It hasn't thown any codes yet. I just can't figure out what the problem is. It is really confusing me.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

No....I don't have any tuning software, and the check engine light is not on. It hasn't thown any codes yet. I just can't figure out what the problem is. It is really confusing me.

It could be a multitude of things but this would be the first place I would start looking and since you do not have diagnostic software or any sort of scan tool to check the data stream. I would recommend you take the car to someone who has the equipment to fix it or at least diagnose the car.

Good luck my friend
Chris Macellaro
Old 01-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Teching In

I had the vehicle scanned and the only code that was thrown was one of the O2 sensors on the left bank. Could a broken 02 sensor cause this problem?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

I had the vehicle scanned and the only code that was thrown was one of the O2 sensors on the left bank. Could a broken 02 sensor cause this problem?

I can not say for sure that is your problem but yes it is a possibility. A lazy or non working O2 could cause fuel enrichment issues.

Chris Macellaro