PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning computer= sniffer test< 1000 miles on tune.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning computer= sniffer test< 1000 miles on tune.

Mike over at az power and sound told me that if you get a new tune on your car, that you have to put 1000 miles on it before you can go to the emmissions, otherwise they will force you to do the sniffer test.

Does any one have any info on this?

is this county by county or a national thing?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Internal registers go into a ready mode after a number of drive cycles. 1000 miles is a guess, I think it will be ok with less, but 1000 should be a catchall.

If the ready mode is not set then it may show that you have reset error codes just to pass, the ready counter shows that the code has not reappeared over multiple drive cycles (start, drive, stop etc)
Old 01-09-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really depends on how you drive it.... when I had to go in for emissions.. I went in with under 30 miles since my last tune and passed no problem.. I did several cold starts (cold start to operating temp), several hot starts (hot start, leave running for a few mins) and a couple short drives... only 1 readiness test was reporting it had not yet completed... (EVAP)

However... most people aren't going to go through all this hassle... so within the course of 1000 miles odds are you will have done all the above
Old 01-09-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4-5 days of normal driving does it. there is a document on gm odb2 'driving cycle' so might wanna search around for it
Old 01-09-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

ya, i was just thinking about driving to vegas and back, or just goin for a long trip. Hopefully that would work.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
Mike over at az power and sound told me that if you get a new tune on your car, that you have to put 1000 miles on it before you can go to the emmissions, otherwise they will force you to do the sniffer test.

Does any one have any info on this?

is this county by county or a national thing?
I went in for smog immediately after flashing a tune and they made me go drive it for a little while. I probably put about 50 mile on it and it was fine. Not all the readiness tests were complete, but enough were to legally smog it. I'm in California by the way.