PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys know about the old MAFT..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 01:40 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What do you guys know about the old MAFT..?

http://www.vetteguru.com/mods/maf/

I was just reading this.. Nick Gette sent this to me. I know I have one of the old maft.. Has anyone did this to fix theres with any positive results?
Old 07-02-2002, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What do you guys know about the old MAFT..?

First of all if you have an F-Body that is a non issue. I only applies to Vettes and their crummy electrical system (no grounds on a plastic body) Anything made in the past three years has our own version of these fixes already in
MIke Licht
Ramchargers
Old 07-02-2002, 05:00 PM
Shorty Director

I thought it was only for the C5's as well, but some f-bodies have complained about this as well. It is ironic that my car has the problem at the same 5200rpm. I have disconnected and I will drive around for awhile Mike and I will keep you guys posted post my next autotap and dyno..
Old 07-02-2002, 05:23 PM
Shorty Director

Besides.. If you read the website it says nothing about the wiring of the car. It talks about the setup of the old mafts.. I know you are not saying f-body wiring is better than C5's. It says the voltage supply is somewhat poorly thought out for the MAFT application, where noise can be a factor, amoung other things. The resolution is not fixing the cars wiring, but the maft itself..
Old 07-03-2002, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think my maf plus is four or five years old..got it for my 97 taws6 I think in 98..so would adding these capacitators help me??? I seem to have a bit of inconsistent o2 readings on my car..any other ideas or will o2 vary a bit on every run.I use your scanmaster MIke.Should I be only looking at o2 in a certain gear..is it more accurate to look in fourth for example at certain rpm??? I emailed a few questions directly to you but might as well ask here again too..Is my maf plus compatible with my ls1 ? I understand the spark stuff from the lt1 doens't work on the ls1.
Or should I sell it to lt1 guy and buy the new ls1 maft.???
Old 07-03-2002, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

We have added caps like that article says and never seen ANY difference on an F-Body car. We were able to isolate a problem with the y body so we made a correct change. If you want to add caps go for it, it won't hurt anything, but I doubt it will help either. Funny how someone that no one really knows can make a post that in his opinion there is a problem in the power supply and it is just accepted. But then again we wouldn't want the facts get in the way of the story.
Mike
Old 07-03-2002, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so the capacitators are not necessary on my fbody..just wondering about the other questions in my post above Mike..???????
Old 07-03-2002, 06:20 PM
Shorty Director

Mike I am not trying to start an issue. I will redyno again minus the maft. If I have the same issue the maft is not the problem. Someone from THIS board emailed me with the information after I told them I have a maft.. If my next dyno shows that nothing has changed I will post my results. I am not trying to make Ramchargers look bad. I will get dyno'd next week if possible just to get this out of the way. I will make no other changes except taking off the maft and reset my pcm so it can relearn.. Thats it..
Old 07-09-2002, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

The MAFT+ will work fine on an LS1 if you forget that it has spark control the MAF side is the same. Vince, let me know how it works out for you, if you still have a problem let me know I have something you might try.
Mike
Old 07-12-2002, 02:33 PM
Teching In

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by VINCE:
<strong>http://www.vetteguru.com/mods/maf/

I was just reading this.. Nick Gette sent this to me. I know I have one of the old maft.. Has anyone did this to fix theres with any positive results?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I bought my MAFT August 2000 and soon got problems in the 5200-5600 rpm area. I analyzed the unit and soon found noisy power feeds, bad socket for the CPU and unecessary long wires to connect the unit. I posted my findings and how to fix them at corvetteforum.com and later Shawn published my findings at vetteguru.com What I'm trying to say is that units as new as late year 2000 had the problems!!

If you have any doubts about your unit, do the fix! It will not hurt anything even if you got a newer unit.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:59 AM
Shorty Director

Well I dyno'd my car today w/out the MAFT and I can honestly say my issue is not the MAFT. Thanks Mike for your help and patience..