Sponsored by:

LS1Edit for $170... Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1Edit for $170... Worth it?

Howdy,

I'm buying a '99 camaro from a friend. He had LS1 Edit for an '04 z06 that he no longer has, and we can get the LS1 Edit stuff switched over to the camaro for $150 (and I'd pay him $20 for the 'core').

I understand that HPTuners or EFILive would be better in a vacumn, but HPTuners no longer has a trade in program and its $500. Is $170 for LS1 Edit a "value" way to go? Everything I read says the main issue with LS1 Edit is no ability to scan... Does their beta scanning software address this at all?

I'd like to be able to do things like:

* Disable CAGS
* Remove torque management (Car is a manual if that matters)
* Account for removing emissions equipment.
* Alter ignition/fueling/etc to account for airbox & exhaust mods, perhaps a cam, perhaps porting or other heads.

If LS1 Edit is so much worse than the others that its unusable or if it has a tendancy to render PCMs dead or something, I'll save my money.

Thanks for any advice!

Mark
Old 01-20-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope not worth it...

170 for edit
+250 for 1 license
=420

You can buy edit new for 450 right?

HP Tuners gives you 2 licenses for 500 that are unlimited use for those make/models... and it gives you a scanner

or upgrade to EIO and you can interface a wideband or other externals sensors into the scanner

edit: I may have misread:

I'm buying a '99 camaro from a friend. He had LS1 Edit for an '04 z06 that he no longer has, and we can get the LS1 Edit stuff switched over to the camaro for $150
How do you plan on doing that? You can't just swap PCMs, PCM needs the camaro code in it... the 04 Z06 PCM may not even be the same... I know alot of 04 vehicles changed to 1MB flash files...

looks like they changed their pricing, so my prices above are wrong
100+50= the 150 you mentioned... is your buddy's cable still under the software maintenance period? if not it'll be another 50

even at that price though ... 320 for LS1 Edit... and you don't even have a scanner then... you can't tune w/out a scanner... plus you then have no resale value with it (even if you can resale it for 170.. you can resale HP Tuners for much more than that)

Last edited by horist; 01-20-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Howdy,

He's emailed LS1 Edit... As we understand it, it's $100 for the new VIN, $50 for the update service, and that's it (plus me giving him $20 for the trouble).

I'm not sure how you're getting $320?

I agree that if I'm spending $320, I'll just spend a little more and get the better package btw... Its just that as we understand it, it'll be $150.

But we could easily be mishearing something, and that's why I'm here! :-)

Thanks!

Mark
Old 01-20-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm factoring 100 for VIN, 50 for update service, and the 50 dollar handling charge

Handling fee, applies if you ONLY order an additional PCM license

(there is no handling fee if this order includes the LS1/LS6 base package)
add $50
ok... from what I'm understanding..

170 -- you buy from your buddy
+100 for new license
+50 for update period
____
320 total

then you have to factor in the 50 dollar handling fee

so that's actually 370 total

Edit:

OK I see what you're saying... youre buddy's basically giving you the cable...

so you pay him 20 bux
then you pay carputing for the license, so you're saying 170 total...

Only thing to factor is that handling fee... not sure if they'd charge that...

for 170, that's some inexpensive tuning software ... scanning will suck but you can do minor tweaks with it and for 170 that's not a bad price

You may want to watch the classifieds here to see if anyone's selling a used HP Tuners cable w/your model/make supported, as HPT doesn't lock to a VIN

Last edited by horist; 01-20-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Howdy,

And my other newbie question... I take it the beta scanning stuff that carputing has on their webpage doesn't address the scanning issues with the LS1 Edit package? I'm uncertain as to when that came out or whatever...

Thanks again!

Mark
Old 01-20-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

that beta software scanner has been 1.00f beta since december 2004 ... it's a very marginal scanner... very minimal... you *may* be able to tune off of it... but it'll take alot of exporting to CSV files and aligning data in excel ...

When I tried the scanner in 04, before I sold my LS1 Edit cable for 50 bux, it was a joke... the dos version of Autotap i had been using before was better than LS1 Edit's scanner

I believe LS1 Edit has also been 1.5 for years now... they haven't really updated anything...

If you can find another buddy w/a supported vehicle (from HPT) perhaps you can split the cost? HP Tuners supports V6 and V8s ... and once they release their new USB cable will be providing some 4 cylinder support, Ford and Dodge tuning support and scanning
Old 01-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Howdy,

Originally Posted by horist
170 -- you buy from your buddy
+100 for new license
+50 for update period
____
320 total
Ah, I see the issue.

No, I'd be buying the ls1 edit stuff for $20. And my buddy would be getting LS1 Edit to map it over to the camaro before I got it, which is $100 for the new VIN & $50 for the update service. LS1 Edit didn't say anything about a handling charge when he talked to them, so I'm not sure if they forgot and would charge it anyway or if it doesn't apply in this case.

Anyway, total outlay would be $220 (worst case, if the handling charge does apply), which is a $280 savings compared to HPTuners (which is what people tell me I should buy if we were starting from zero).

So I'm wondering if the $170 (or $220) for an LS1 Edit system for the car is a good enough price to offset the differences between LS1 Edit and HPTuners.

Mark
Old 01-20-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry for the confusion... I didn't piece it together correctly heh (it's friday... my brains thinking about the weekend )

for 170/220 for tuning only that's not a bad price... just remember you'll need some way to scan... you may be able to get away with the LS1 Edit beta scanner depending on how proficient you are at analyzing data in Excel

If you can find a used HPT or split a new one w/a buddy then that'd be a better deal... but for just tuning ... ls1 edit will do the job... just won't be as easy as HPT or EFI Live

I guess I would look at it as a matter of need... if you need something right now and can pick up on tuning fairly easily (look at your buddies software and see if it makes sense) then that's a good price ... but if you can hold off or find someone to split an HP Tuners with you... you'd have the advantage of an excellent scanner and integrated tuning software, also you could easily resell the HPT cable (non-EIO) for 300+ since it's not VIN locked

Again sorry for the confusion
Old 01-20-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure the extra $50 would be only if you want the license transfered to your name. As long as your buddy keeps it in his name then it should only be $150 total cost to carputing to add another license plus the latest updates. It's not the best tuning solution out there, but it will edit the PCM. You are probably more likely to lose a PCM flashing with it than the other tuners, but there are still a lot of people using Edit that have never lost a PCM. Editing the timing and A/F will be tougher without a good logging tool, but it will handle all the other editing chores you asked about OK. I guess the money you save could be put toward a wide band or find someone selling a used Autap for $100 or less for logging.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Howdy,

Thanks! That's sorta what I was figuring, but I'm pretty new. Certainly at first I wouldn't be very aggressive with the tuning stuff anyway...

The wideband comment also makes me wonder... Is logging so important because that's the only way most folks have to gather data? For instance, if I got a wideband o2 setup, would that replace the need for a scanner/logger?

(I'm not sure if the scanner/logger data is PCM specific in some way or something... Like that its easier to apply to the programming tables (or whatever) than output from a wideband O2 sensor would be).

The wideband would also be useful to me for other cars, which would be nice...

Mark
Old 01-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Howdy,

And related to the "loosing a PCM" stuff... Is this a real danger or a once in a blue moon type of thing? I read the LS1 Edit docs a bit and saw their cautions about making sure power/connection didn't get interrupted... Is this a case where if the connection is broken the PCM is always junk or only has a 1% chance of being junk or ??

I'm not sure how much of the warnings are corporate CYA vs. "no really, I mean it"...

Thanks again! (again! :-)

Mark
Old 01-20-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You won't be able to send the output of the wideband directly to Autotap or the Edit beta scanner as there is no Aux I/O on the cables of either that I'm aware of. You would have to watch the display or gauge that comes with it, or use a tailpipe wide band while on a dyno. The only way to really know what WOT timing the you are getting and if any KR is with sone type of logging tool. Part throttle tuning requires knowing what your fuel trims are doing. I don't think anyone can accurately tell you what the odds of losing a PCM are. I think if the laptop dies or the car battery dies you are screwed with Edit.