Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyl Volume Parameter

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Cyl Volume Parameter

Anyone know for sure how important it is for this parameter to match the actual size of the engine? I'm looking at the file from car with a 408 ci engine tuned by someone else that this parameter was never changed to reflect the new size. What all would this effect in the tune? I'm guessing maybe the values in VE table.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every fuel calculation gets multiplied by it (read the 've cracked' thread) so it's a universal multiplier. if you keep it fixed even though your displacement did go up, your engine's VE is gonna suddenly be proportionally high to make up for the difference. think of it this way:
3*2 or 2*3. they both come out to the same thing. except that VE can be meaningful and helpful when it's calculated from/reflecting numbers true to the hardware.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Anyone know for sure how important it is for this parameter to match the actual size of the engine? I'm looking at the file from car with a 408 ci engine tuned by someone else that this parameter was never changed to reflect the new size. What all would this effect in the tune? I'm guessing maybe the values in VE table.
not very important, it is used in a very minor way in the airflow calcs predominantly in the cranking airflow calcs. It is also in the misfire VE (load) calcs. It has no effect on the main airflow calculations when running in SD mode.

As an example, GM set it to 5.7L for many of the first released LS2 6.0L engines
Old 01-22-2006, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
every fuel calculation gets multiplied by it (read the 've cracked' thread) so it's a universal multiplier. if you keep it fixed even though your displacement did go up, your engine's VE is gonna suddenly be proportionally high to make up for the difference. think of it this way:
3*2 or 2*3. they both come out to the same thing. except that VE can be meaningful and helpful when it's calculated from/reflecting numbers true to the hardware.
this is incorrect.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so is there an update to the 've cracked' formula? did i miss a memo?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:07 PM
FormerVendor

i dunno, i haven't read that thread for ages. We use the cylinder volume to display the VE table in % as a convenience, however, the PCM doesn't do the calculation that way.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. Why don't you HPTuners owners add these little tidbits of knowlege you all have to the help file? Is there a reason you give us access to parameters that don't effect much or are not very important?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Thanks for the clarification. Why don't you HPTuners owners add these little tidbits of knowlege you all have to the help file? Is there a reason you give us access to parameters that don't effect much or are not very important?
This one is mostly historic reasons, ie. LS1edit had it and if we didn't include it tunershops would have complained we were missing something important. It IS correct to set this to the right value, just that if you don't the main fueling will not be out.