Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KR in high gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KR in high gear

I've got a series of questions for you experts on KR. First of all I wasnt having these problems until I uninstalled my custom tuning and then installed it again. So I'm thinking maybe the computer hasnt relearned everything yet. I've put about 75 miles on since I did that.

Well when I'm in an appropriate gear for max acceleration I dont get to much KR. But lets say I'm in 5th or 6th at like 1200 RPMs. I floor it or even give it half throttle and I get anywhere from 2 to 8 KR on EFIlive. The highest I ever saw before removing and putting back my PCM tuning was 5 and that was at WOT in a gear that goes. Why would I be knocking at this low of RPM? Could it be that my PCM hasnt relearned stuff yet or could my spark plugs need changing? I replaced the plugs about 3000 miles ago. Another weird thing is that its doing this on 110 octane unleaded race fuel. Previous to messing with the programmer I saw no KR on this fuel.

I downloaded my PCM file with LS1edit before I removed and reinstalled my superchips tuning. If I was to reload that file would the computer go back to how it was and not have to relearn? When LS1edit downloads your file I'm not sure if it downloads all of that but I would think it would. Is this worth a try?

Justin
Old 09-16-2002, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: KR in high gear

I think its very normal to get mega knock retard ,I do if I try to nail it in sixth..its from lugging the crap out of the engine..!! You can't accelerate much at all with 6th unless you have some 4.10 gears mabye.5th at 1200 is just as bad almost and would still expect some..downshift to fourth and you aren't likely to get much..and all your programming won't make any difference to this..its just too low an rpm..don't do it anymore.!!
Old 09-17-2002, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well my car never did that crap before. Theres no reason you shouldnt be able to give your car half throttle in 5th or 6th at low RPMs. Sometimes you need to speed up 5 or 10 mph and you shouldnt have to drop it down to do it. If I dropped to fourth every time I increased speed I'd be shifting all the time. I will find a fix for this.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Justin, I would not be to concearned, if its doing this on race gas it may be possible that its false knock. Otherwise, like others have said it just the heavy LOAD on the car.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

I have done a little research on this topic.
See my thread in the external engine section, or in this section when it gets moved.