PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Live Bi-directional question: What happens if the connection is lost??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Live Bi-directional question: What happens if the connection is lost??

I'm just asking cuz I ordered EFI Live with bi-directional controls and I know that you can substitute settings like idle speed and fuel maps to temporarily test different configs.

My question is what if you are using the Bi-directional controls of EFI-Live 5 to test a different configuration and you lose the laptop connection? Does it fry your PCM like it would with a PCM flash? Or does it just default back to the stock PCM setting?

Thanks
Mark
Old 10-16-2002, 01:02 AM
Restricted User

Default Re: EFI Live Bi-directional question: What happens if the connection is lost??

EFILive NEVER modifies (nor ever atempts to modify) the flash memory of the PCM. It can NOT harm your PCM. To maintain the commanded override, EFILiveV5 must keep sending the override command. If the PCM does not "see" an override command within 5 seconds of the previous override command it will automatically revert to "normal" operations.

If you switch off the ignition, EFILiveV5 cannot send any commands to the PCM so that also cancels bi-directional mode.

The warnings regarging bi-directional controls require you to be careful about what overrides you "request" of the PCM.
For example it is quite possible to request an AFR of 15:1 or 16:1. If you run your engine at high load with a lean AFR like that you can cause the engine to overheat and damage may occur.

But as far as "frying" your PCM - that's not possible with a correctly functioning interface and laptop running EFILiveV5.

Regards
Paul
Old 10-16-2002, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: EFI Live Bi-directional question: What happens if the connection is lost??

Thanks for the info. So if it comes unplugged while I'm overriding, the PCM will just revert.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:55 PM
Restricted User

Yes, sometime within 5 seconds of when it is unplugged.

BTW, the bi-directional controls are not new nor specific to LS1. They have been around long before OBD-II. The pre-1996, 8192 baud protocol also supports bi-directional controls. The Tech-I and Tech-II are both designed to provide access to bi-directional controls.

<small>[ October 16, 2002, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: EFIliveV5 ]</small>