PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official: Why EFILive is the BEST Tuning Solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is straight from efilives website. I think this is something people haven't realized yet.

FlashScan V2 is designed by EFILive, exclusively for EFILive, which means we offer a "future proof", seamless and 100% compatible upgrade from EFILive's existing Scan and Tuning Tools.

The new FlashScan unit is packed with features that makes scanning and tuning easier, more accurate and much safer. Data logging and PCM reading and reflashing can all be performed without the need for a laptop computer in your vehicle.

The large graphic LCD screen displays easy to follow menu selections and during data logging, can display multiple scanned parameters in real time.

Easy control of all FlashScan V2 functions is available via the 16 key, tough, polycarbonate keypad.

A removable MMC (Multi Media Card) memory stick can hold hundreds of hours of logged data and/or hundreds of PCM tunes. The MMC is the same type of memory that is used in many digital cameras. You can purchase memory upgrades from your local camera or computer store.

FlashScan V2 is field upgradeable, as new features are developed for it, they can be quickly downloaded from the internet and reflashed into the FlashScan unit.

With the new V2 interface, you will be able to take the interface to your car and do your log. Then take your MMC Storage card and transfer the log to your home computer. There you can do all the changes you wish and save the tune, or have several you can save to try out. Take the file and load it back into your v2 interface and flash it into the car. All is done without needing to buy a laptop.

http://www.efilive.com/flashscan.html
Old 02-03-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EFILive is pretty trick, hat's off to a great product. The same product will do both our trucks (Duramaxes) and the Vette.

But I'm amused easily, so I get my biggest kick out of the Black Box Logging. Just carry the cable only into the car, hit one button and record exactly which parameters you want, even custom ones. No more flying computer or dying laptop battery. Holds enough to collect over a days worth of 1/4 mile passes, and for me, that's a lot.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Black02SS
This is straight from efilives website. I think this is something people haven't realized yet.

FlashScan V2 is designed by EFILive, exclusively for EFILive, which means we offer a "future proof", seamless and 100% compatible upgrade from EFILive's existing Scan and Tuning Tools.

The new FlashScan unit is packed with features that makes scanning and tuning easier, more accurate and much safer. Data logging and PCM reading and reflashing can all be performed without the need for a laptop computer in your vehicle.

The large graphic LCD screen displays easy to follow menu selections and during data logging, can display multiple scanned parameters in real time.

Easy control of all FlashScan V2 functions is available via the 16 key, tough, polycarbonate keypad.

A removable MMC (Multi Media Card) memory stick can hold hundreds of hours of logged data and/or hundreds of PCM tunes. The MMC is the same type of memory that is used in many digital cameras. You can purchase memory upgrades from your local camera or computer store.

FlashScan V2 is field upgradeable, as new features are developed for it, they can be quickly downloaded from the internet and reflashed into the FlashScan unit.

With the new V2 interface, you will be able to take the interface to your car and do your log. Then take your MMC Storage card and transfer the log to your home computer. There you can do all the changes you wish and save the tune, or have several you can save to try out. Take the file and load it back into your v2 interface and flash it into the car. All is done without needing to buy a laptop.

http://www.efilive.com/flashscan.html
Very cool feature! It can save some people a lot of money, no laptop costs.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Billiumss
Very cool feature! It can save some people a lot of money, no laptop costs.

And save them from paying $400-500 going somewhere to get their car tuned
Old 02-03-2006, 09:13 PM
FormerVendor

I have EFILive and love it to death. More features are being added everyday and for an extra 150 bux you can tune 1-3 bar car all day long all for the cost of a license (99.00). This 150.00 you spend will pay for itself in 3 1 bar cars or you can save yourself 50.00 when you tune 1 2-3 bar car as opposed to other schemes. That right dur is why I love EFILive.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
hehe

this may or may not come as a suprise... but this "industry" is 99% web based tech support...

btw, im not a EFI live guy, but i did get a kick out of your question..
Your right, 99% of it is web based support. But to be 'the best' you should be that 1%, not the 99% majority.

I just find it funny with no phone support for the GM stuff, after spending 1500+ hours on the other end of the phone helping others with tuning support in this industry

Ryan
Old 02-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by slow
Your right, 99% of it is web based support. But to be 'the best' you should be that 1%, not the 99% majority.

I just find it funny with no phone support for the GM stuff, after spending 1500+ hours on the other end of the phone helping others with tuning support in this industry

Ryan
We investigated providing a call center for tech support calls, however the business of reprogramming an ECM is not trivial and we believe a call center that provides "talking heads" that read pre-canned answers from a script would not help anybody. Difficult tech support questions require the attention of experienced people who understand tuning and how EFILive works. To handle that in real-time would require taking developers away from developing new products. (And we all know the outcry when new products are not delivered on time - right?). To maintain some sort of predictable R&D program we prefer to handle most support calls via email, forum and the internet.

We are working with www.efi101.com (EFI University) to provide technical training to empower our users and lighten the support load on our resellers.

Some customer do phone us directly when they have a problem, we are constantly fielding calls from around the globe (yes, even at 3:00am in the morning when we are working late). Mostly though (as Wait4Me pointed out), our resellers provide excellent tech support to their EFILive customers. If the problem requires escalation, then it is forwarded to us at EFILive and is dealt with by people here at EFILive. It might be "funny" to you, but it is the way we (and many, many other companies) have decided to do business. It works!

I recommend that anyone considering purchasing EFILive do so from a distributor closest to them. Chances are they will get a better price than purchasing directly from EFILive and shipping will be faster and cheaper. Plus you'll get phone support in your local business hours.

Regards
Paul
Old 02-04-2006, 04:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Here's another good post from another thread:

Originally Posted by joecar
The above link is a growing *.tun repository.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Default What If I want to Upgrade my EFILive?

From the EFILive website:

Adding additional PCM licenses to your Personal or Commercial FlashScan cable

Your FlashScan Personal or Commercial cable is shipped from EFILive with two PCM licenses, that allows you to tune any two supported vehicles' PCMs of your choice. If you want to tune more than two vehicles' PCMs, you can purchase additional PCM licenses here up to a total of 25 PCM licenses per FlashScan interface cable.

If you want to tune more than 25 PCMs you will need to either upgrade to the unlimited Workshop version (discounted as above) or purchase another Personal or Commercial cable that you can fill with another 25 PCM licenses.

You do not need to return your cable to EFILive in order to add the extra PCM licenses. The licenses are sent to you via an email activation code, so no shipping is required either.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upgrading from EFILive Personal Scan and Tune to EFILive Commercial Scan and Tune

In the beginning there were only two versions of EFILive's Scan and Tune product: Personal and Workshop. It became necessary to add a hybrid version that provided all the features of the Workshop version, but retained the inexpensive, entry-level licensing scheme of the Personal version.

And so the Commercial version was created.

Upgrading from Personal to Commercial can be done via an email activation code. Please purchase your Personal to Commercial upgrade codes from EFILive's online store.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upgrading from EFILive Personal or Commercial Scan and Tune to EFILive Workshop Scan and Tune

EFILive offers an attractive upgrade path that allows you to eventually own the unlimited EFILive Workshop Scan and Tune version.

We understand that some small volume workshops cannot justify the initial investment in EFILive's Workshop version and opt for the Commercial version instead.

Each time a new PCM is tuned, a PCM license can be purchased for a modest $99.00. The cost of the PCM license can usually be absorbed as part of the cost of tuning the vehicle's PCM.

As your investment in PCM licenses grows, so to does your discount on the eventual upgrade to a Workshop version. Here's how it works:

EFILive will discount the retail price of the Workshop version by 80% of the total cost of the PCM licenses that you have purchased. Up to a maximum of 75 PCM licenses.

For example:

If you have completely filled one Personal or Commercial interface cable with PCM licenses (25 licenses), you are entitled to 25*$99*80% = $1,980.00 off the retail price of the Workshop version, which brings the price from $6,980.00 to down to $5,000.00
If you completely fill two Personal or Commercial interface cables with PCM licenses (50 licenses), you are entitled to 50*$99*80% = $3,960.00 off the retail price of the Workshop version, which brings the price from $6,980.00 to down to $3,020.00
If you completely fill three Personal or Commercial interface cables with PCM licenses (75 licenses), you are entitled to 75*$99*80% = $5,940.00 off the retail price of the Workshop version, which brings the price from $6,980.00 down to an amazingly low $1,040.00
You may choose to upgrade at any time, not just when your interface cable is full. You will receive a new Workshop interface cable. You may keep your Personal or Commercial cable for use as a spare Scan Tool.

So to get your unlimited Workshop version for a mere $1,040.00, all you need to do is to tune 75 vehicles.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

It looks like I have come into this thread too late to say anything that hasn't already been pointed out.

But....

I have been a customer of EFILive since the first day FlashScan was out. I waited on the fence till they released their product cause I didn't like the licensing scheme of the major competition. And god knows I made the right decision, as that looks to have just gotten much worse.

I that year I as a single user of the product have submitted a few enhancements requests (just little things), and bugger me if ALL OF THEM haven't been integrated into the product!!!

For me I think the responsiveness from the EFILive team and the user community is astounding. We have had many developments in the year including Custom OS's 1-3 bar, Duramax support, 98 support, countless upgrades to the product adding useful features and additional calibration tables.

And the future is just as exciting... Non the least of which is the new V2 interface that I salivate at just the thought of

All just my personal experience and $0.02 with this completely awesome product and company!!!

Cheers,
Old 02-04-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Hello everyone, Have a question for ya. What are the main differences between EFIlive and say HPtuners. Cause i am in the market for tuning software to be used on my 408 Turbo build. And also does EFILive has 3 bar support i see it says 2 bar support on the buy page is there 3 bar?

Thanks
~Tom
Old 02-04-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by EFILive
Our new web site is going live this weekend. It contains updated information on FlashScan V2 including availability, licensing and pricing (retail and upgrade). Trust me, its a lot easier to understand (and I believe a lot cheaper) than some other schemes.

Regards
Paul
Can't wait!

Tim
Old 02-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackCamaroSS02
Hello everyone, Have a question for ya. What are the main differences between EFIlive and other packages. Cause i am in the market for tuning software to be used on my 408 Turbo build. And also does EFILive has 3 bar support i see it says 2 bar support on the buy page is there 3 bar?

Thanks
~Tom
Tom,

That is a dangerous question to answer. All other threads have been locked. I'd just say do your research and buy the one that fits your needs.

EFILive does 2-3 bar, up to 285 kPa from memory. You will require the Commercial edition to use this as you require full-flash capability.

Choose well

Last edited by Tordne; 02-04-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Hello everyone, Have a question for ya. What are the main differences between EFIlive and say *******. Cause i am in the market for tuning software to be used on my 408 Turbo build. And also does EFILive has 3 bar support i see it says 2 bar support on the buy page is there 3 bar?

Thanks
~Tom
Tom, please edit your reference to competing products . Nothing against you, as it is a fair and legitimate question. However, your question has been asked many times and the threads generally get locked. The purpose of this thread is not to compare EFILive to any competing product, but to supply you, the potential customer with all the facts and info about EFILive you need.

To address your question, EFILive does support three bar applications IIRC.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Hello everyone, Have a question for ya. What are the main differences between EFIlive and say xxxxxx. Cause i am in the market for tuning software to be used on my 408 Turbo build. And also does EFILive has 3 bar support i see it says 2 bar support on the buy page is there 3 bar?

Thanks
~Tom
This is straight from the website.

EFILive Custom Calibrations and Operating System Upgrades

Benefits of using EFILive's Custom Operating Systems:

* Unlimited free use for any Commercial or Workshop license holder. Other vendors charge $1,000's for unlimited 2-bar program licenses, just about the cost of EFILive alone!
* Retains the standard VE table to make the transition from an existing tune to a custom 2-bar tune simple and fast.
* Valet Mode Speed and RPM limiters.
* Dual Spark map adaptive knock control is fully operational even after MAF sensor has been removed. Includes user control over high/low adaptive spark.
* Fuel mixtures can be based entirely on MAP vs RPM with any AFR commanded at any MAP/RPM point.
* Timing reduction table when in boost.
* Uses standard {SAE.MAP} PID in boost, works with any generic scan tool.
* Supports up to 285kPa of boost, almost 3-bar boost.

All I will say on this matter is I have personally owned three of the products on the market, which several in this thread have as well. We all choose to use EFILive everyday for personal, weekend tuner, or professional use. For the normal weekend tuner that is doing cars in SD using 1bar, it is the perfect setup with the free Custom OS's. Not only do you get the normal 1bar features, but each OS is designed by EFILive for EFILive users and has other features that are only available to us.

EFILive has never been one to say we were cheaper, but they do more Custom things for us then any other program on the market that we don't have to pay for that WELL make up for the small price difference compared to other products. The #1 thing you will find is EFILive's dedication to their customers is bar none. We ask, they deliver almost immediately. Its as simple as that.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Two other things i like that EFIlive does that saves me time is.

1. We can Transfer Whole data segments over from one car to the next.
that means if we have a Engine calibration section already done, we can move that whole segment over from one file to the next. Or we can even make engine combos that gm didnt even make, like a 2002 camaro with a 6.0L engine, and have a 4l80e trans, and it will work perfect just like gm made it that way.

2. The ability to set up factory blank pcms, and or Overwrite a pcm from one type of car to another without having to worry about it being a supported vehicle.
All i do is Over write the pcm with what i want, Enter the vin number and it is good to go.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

I use EFI live to tune my twin turbo ls1 with 96 lb injectors and 3 bar setup!!
Old 02-04-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

One other very cool detail about EFILive - '98 PCM support is unlimited! Yup - you buy EFILive, you get two 99+ VIN specific licenses, and all the 98's you take!
Old 02-04-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wait4me
Two other things i like that EFIlive does that saves me time is.

1. We can Transfer Whole data segments over from one car to the next.
that means if we have a Engine calibration section already done, we can move that whole segment over from one file to the next. Or we can even make engine combos that gm didnt even make, like a 2002 camaro with a 6.0L engine, and have a 4l80e trans, and it will work perfect just like gm made it that way.

2. The ability to set up factory blank pcms, and or Overwrite a pcm from one type of car to another without having to worry about it being a supported vehicle.
All i do is Over write the pcm with what i want, Enter the vin number and it is good to go.
Thanks for that info Jesse. That is pretty damn cool.

Chris
Old 02-04-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
I use EFI live to tune my twin turbo ls1 with 96 lb injectors and 3 bar setup!!
Just to let people know, you were a BRAND new user as well. AFAIK, no prior knowledge of the software or how to tune a vehicle, let alone a twin turbo LS1. With some patience, , and the help of the forums, you were able to get it all dialed in. This is why EFILive rocks. Hard work all the way from the development of the program down to the users that interact with new people.

Quick Reply: Official: Why EFILive is the BEST Tuning Solution