PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official: Why EFILive is the BEST Tuning Solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It may seem like a fad to jump on something that's popular...
but after you start using this for a while, you come to realize that it's definitely not a fad;
actually, it becomes very important in your daily life, and you find you can't do without it;
it ranks up there with food, sleep (...huh, what's that...), a job...

You get up, have breakfast, shower, flash the PCM, drive to work (block box logging), analyze the log during your breaks, flash the PCM before driving home, log on the way home, greet the Mrs, have dinner, analyze the logs and alter the tune ready for flashing in the morning (heck, it's only 2 am, might as well flash it now and take car round the block to see difference), goto bed (no time for TV).

This is the ideal day in the life of a car guy....
Old 02-19-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joecar
but after you start using this for a while, you come to realize that it's definitely not a fad;
actually, it becomes very important in your daily life, and you find you can't do without it;

You get up, have breakfast, shower, flash the PCM, drive to work (block box logging), analyze the log during your breaks, flash the PCM before driving home, log on the way home, greet the Mrs, have dinner, analyze the logs and alter the tune ready for flashing in the morning (heck, it's only 2 am, might as well flash it now and take car round the block to see difference), goto bed (no time for TV).

Have you been talking to my wife??
Old 02-19-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar

ANd I though I was the only one doing this....

Bill
Old 02-19-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Have you been talking to my wife??
LOL, that's funny, has yours been talking to mine...
Old 02-19-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
ANd I though I was the only one doing this....

Bill
Good for you Bill, you're not alone, we're all on the same page.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I'm switching to EFI live next week. Just going over the software I got it is incredable.Light years ahead of LS1 edit and looks like alot more indepth of HPtuners. Glad I made the choice. Now I just got a ton of reading to do

You won't be disappointed. With one upcoming feature, soon EFI Live will be light years ahead of the 'other guys'. With whats being worked on tuning has gotten MUCH easier than in the past.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Geoff
You won't be disappointed. With one upcoming feature, soon EFI Live will be light years ahead of the 'other guys'. With whats being worked on tuning has gotten MUCH easier than in the past.
I don't know what this new feature is, but if it is what I think, man oh man. Talk about kickass!!!!
Old 02-19-2006, 03:23 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Man my head hurts just reading this forum. About two years ago my car was tuned by PCMforless using LS$%it and it was a pretty generic tune since they had done a combo very similar to mine quite often (TR224 cam, JPR heads, headers). Since then I went from MACS to QTP headers, and I discovered that my tune wasn't optimal. During the change I had messed up a plug and hooked up my autotap and didn't detect any misfires which would have been very helpful in finding my bad plug. I then discovered that my misfires detection must have been turned off.

So needless to say, I've been seriously looking at getting my own tuning software, but my heads spinning. I've never tuned before, but I'm pretty computer and mechanically savy.

I was tempted to post up a help post trying to decide which one of the three tuning programs would be best, but it seems that's a big no-no.

I'd also like to tune my wife's Saab 9-7x with the 4.2 I6, but no-one offers tuning for them yet. It seems that all three want you to purchase multiple car/platform setups, so at this point, I would only have one car to tune and have no intention of selling my car or buying another ls1 any time soon.

So what are my options??? I can't remember the last time I actually met up with another ls1 member (work and family have taken a priority) so it's not like I can split the cost with another person.

I really wish this wasn't a taboo subject that someone could actually do a comparison breakdown between what package A vs. package B gets you.

Anyone feel free to PM with some real world experience between EFI and that other HP**** software since I've narrowed it down to those two.

Oh yeah, I have no plans to go FI, so 2 bar is a waste. I'd really like to find someone local who wouldn't mind looking over my shoulder and help me learn as well.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive been into the dragons den with Paul and Ross in NZ.
Lots of nice toys and a super awsome product.
I even got to check out the pre production V2 hardware, looks very cool.
The custom OS's mean if you like playing there are new toys released all the time, you are not just stuck with the PCM OS you have.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Does it throw just a code or are you seeing a SES light. I started my first SD tune back in the day when I was using LS1Edit. I haven't had the maf on my car since then. I have noticed very VERY minimal differences in different climates. If you lived where I do, you would see drastic weather changes from one day to the other. Just the other day it was 58* that day and snowed that evening.
The SES light is on for other issues I am trying to get all worked out. The following are codes that I need too get cleared because they are ruining my performance...

Random misfire on a specific cylinder - I ordered all new plugs and was advised by my tuner to gap them to a certain way..

Bad o2s on Bank 2 - ordered new fronts for both bank and my tuner is going to shut off the rear two

The other codes it is throwing are No mass air meter, and two codes related to the a4 to m6 swap.. Is there a way to get the car to not throw the maf code or am I just going to have to plug it back in?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BQTransAm
The SES light is on for other issues I am trying to get all worked out. The following are codes that I need too get cleared because they are ruining my performance...

Random misfire on a specific cylinder - I ordered all new plugs and was advised by my tuner to gap them to a certain way..

Bad o2s on Bank 2 - ordered new fronts for both bank and my tuner is going to shut off the rear two

The other codes it is throwing are No mass air meter, and two codes related to the a4 to m6 swap.. Is there a way to get the car to not throw the maf code or am I just going to have to plug it back in?
If the car was tuned in SD, then the code will show up, but not trip a SES light. If this is the case, then DO NOT plug the maf back in as that won't help the tune. It will just throw it off that much more. What codes are you seeing for the A4 to M6 swap? What are your mods. I have always run NGK TR6's on almost all the cars I tune. Just get with Keith after you get the new plugs and stuff and he should be able to take care of you.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

I have talked to kieth about all of this stuff, and I am going to get with him after I get the plugs and o2s in there.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

UGGHHHH, I can't wait to get home. You guys are making this unbearable. There is 3 of us going in on the EFILive but they won't do anything till I get back. I guess I'm doing the ordering and set up. I am the one with the laptop, desktop, internet, tv, stereo and everything else in the garage.

02SS, then I will be hunting for you on IM LOL ...hell, webcamming it. There will be 5 cars getting the rounds when I get back. Man is the wife gonna be HOT!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ringram
Ive been into the dragons den with Paul and Ross in NZ.
Lots of nice toys and a super awsome product.
I even got to check out the pre production V2 hardware, looks very cool.
The custom OS's mean if you like playing there are new toys released all the time, you are not just stuck with the PCM OS you have.
I hope this doesn't violate the premise of this thread, but as a current EFIlive user, what practical incentive do I have to move to the V2 stuff?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frodo84
I hope this doesn't violate the premise of this thread, but as a current EFIlive user, what practical incentive do I have to move to the V2 stuff?
the v2 stuff supports ls2 and also allows you to not only scan but flash in files without the need for a laptop...but it would probably still be better to alter things via a computer also the new one has no limit on how many vin locks you do meaning after 25 vins theres no more need to buy a new unit.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

To further foff667's post, V2 also increased the number of external inputs. IIRC, you get 2 K-type thermocouples, 4 0-5 volt analog inputs, and 2 12vdc discrete inputs.

Last edited by TAQuickness; 02-21-2006 at 04:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Teching In

The link to the Tutorial dosn't work, id really like to see more before i decide to purchase or find a tuner. thanks

http://www.efilive.com/doc/Tutorials...20Tutorial.pdf
Old 02-22-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll see if I can't get them to fix it. Since they moved to the new servers, they haven't updated all the files yet.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

In the meantime, you could also download and install the software;
this will give you the tutorials on your hard drive.

This would also allow you to play with the sample tunes that come with it (runs in demo mode without a license).
Old 02-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Ok great, thanks Black02SS and joecar

Quick Reply: Official: Why EFILive is the BEST Tuning Solution