PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to get an accurate in car A/F reading?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get an accurate in car A/F reading?

Im dropping a 00 vette LS1 into a project of mine, and id like to get some opinions on how to obtain an accurate AF reading in car....

as i understand it, the stock O2s are fairly innacurate....
i am also deleting the rear 02s if it matters...
i hear alot of talk about "wideband" setups, but im not exactly sure what they are...can someone explain?

basically id like to get an idea of what exists out there....ive seen the speedshop stuff...is that equpment any more accurate than the front 2 stock o2sensors?
im gonna run probably in the neighborhood of a 100s hot on the engine, so id really like to get a way to tell whats goin on with the AF

i have autotap, and im ordering LS1edit

gimme some ideas fellas
~John
Old 10-30-2002, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how to get an accurate in car A/F reading?

From what I have heard here and on other boards, a wide band O2 sensor is about $1,000. I think that on thirdgen.org there is some info about biulding your own for less than $1,000.

What I did is to put my car on a chassis dyno and have the AFR determined with a wide band O2 sensor. I ran ATAP while the pulls were made on the dyno. As I made several runs on the dyno while changing the WOT fuel, I got a good idea about the accuracy of my specific O2 sensors. I run 960mV when my AFR is 13.2 at WOT, Not the assumed 880mV.