PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

HP TUNERS "TCC LOCK DURING SHIFT OPTION"

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 05:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fast98
i have it enabled and have put 5k miles on it that way. it still unlocks on the shift.
Check the TCC Apply and Release tables and see if they make sense in relation to your shifts.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they do. i did them all myself. the reason i tried to use this is because i had the converter locking in 3rd gear before it shifts into 4th gear under very light throttle. so it would create a bucking feeling almost. i enabled this and it still unlocks under shifts, not just wot ones either
Old 02-18-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are the track results.

TCC Lock during shift option enabled My friend went a 7.16 & 7.14
TCC Lock during shift option diables 7.11 & 7.09

His 60' times were nealy identical in those 4 runs. The runs went in the order posted above so each run was better than the last. He was running a 150 shot as I posted earlier and no bottle heater he said the bottle pressure was getting slightly less every run yet the car still went faster with the TCC lock during disabled. I wish he would have had a bottle heater so the pressure would have been nearly identical on each run. I think with the bottle heater he should be in the 6's since he said his pressure gauge wasnt even in the green. After his first 2 runs he asked me to turn the TCC lock during shift off cause it felt like the tranny was not feeling the same (almost like it was starting to slip). I know the numbers are consistant as heck and may not be a definate answer on to turn the TCC option on or off but these were the results we got. Good luck guys.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

This is a very good and informative thread, but I'm gonna need some clarification please! I'm looking at this table in HPTuners to see what's going on (stock settings).

When you say "TCC Apply", does that mean this "half-clutch" we have forces the transmission to rotate at the same speed the engine is rotating? And "TCC Release" is just the opposite (duh), allowing the engine to rev higher than the current transmission speed? (Which, with a larger converter/higher stall, would give more engine torque?)

So, looking at the chart, would this mean that at (and above) 50mph, in 3rd gear, with 25% throttle, my engine and transmission will be in sync? And, lets say I'm hauling three passengers up a mountain, and my car is still in 3rd gear (because I'm forcing it to stay there) with 25% throttle... after a few seconds I slow down to 32 mph... does this "TCC Release" let my engine rev a little higher? (Making better use of bigger TCs?)

And if everything I said makes sense and is accurate, then would it be all right to set the "TCC Apply/Release" to low MPHs and TPS%s when using a larger converter? My goal is to have good gas mileage around town, but maintain horrible, and in some cases, have horrific gas mileage when something like a Charger or Mustang decides to mess around.

Thanks,
-somebody

P.S. I do have my stock torque converter, but want to make sure I don't screw things up after I install a bigger one.
Attached Thumbnails HP TUNERS "TCC LOCK DURING SHIFT OPTION"-tccarsvstpsvsgear.jpg  
Old 02-28-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When you say "TCC Apply", does that mean this "half-clutch" we have forces the transmission to rotate at the same speed the engine is rotating? And "TCC Release" is just the opposite (duh), allowing the engine to rev higher than the current transmission speed? (Which, with a larger converter/higher stall, would give more engine torque?)
Yes, correct.

So, looking at the chart, would this mean that at (and above) 50mph, in 3rd gear, with 25% throttle, my engine and transmission will be in sync? And, lets say I'm hauling three passengers up a mountain, and my car is still in 3rd gear (because I'm forcing it to stay there) with 25% throttle... after a few seconds I slow down to 32 mph... does this "TCC Release" let my engine rev a little higher? (Making better use of bigger TCs?)
Yes;
Crossing the Apply curve going up applies TCC;
Crossing the Release curve going down releases TCC;

TCC release allows engine to rev higher, and allows TC to multiply torque into trans when engine torque is applied (converter multiplies torque when slipping).

And if everything I said makes sense and is accurate, then would it be all right to set the "TCC Apply/Release" to low MPHs and TPS%s when using a larger converter? My goal is to have good gas mileage around town, but maintain horrible, and in some cases, have horrific gas mileage when something like a Charger or Mustang decides to mess around.
You can tweak the curves to apply sooner (lower MPH) at low TPS,
and to apply later (higher MPH) at higher TPS.

The tradeoff is:
TCC applied = improved economy, no torque multiplication, engine lugs at lower RPM (check for knock);
TCC released = degraded economy, torque multipication, engine revs higher

Note from your tables that TCC is not applied above 80% TPS, the reason being is to protect the single friction surface from slipping (heating and wearing) when large torque is applied.

Regards
Joe

"I use EFILive"

Last edited by joecar; 02-28-2006 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply: HP TUNERS "TCC LOCK DURING SHIFT OPTION"